JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have had a POF before and really like the company's rifles.

I have never had a PWS before but find the rifle really interesting.

Can I get some comments on what you all think of them?

5.56 or 308 - doesn't matter

Thanks

I have a PWS 11.5" 223 upper on a PWS lower that I assembled from various parts.

It so far has been very reliable, accurate and easy to clean.

I had looked at the POF rifles, but there was just something "off" about them that I couldn't put my finger on. I have not owned or shot one though.

I have a PWS 11.5" 223 upper on a PWS lower that I assembled from various parts.

It so far has been very reliable, accurate and easy to clean.

I had looked at the POF rifles, but there was just something "off" about them that I couldn't put my finger on. I have not owned or shot one though.
Thanks

I have a few PWS ARs in both piston and DI. I have zero complaints, been very happy. My current AR supressor host is a PWS piston rifle that runs super clean. Had A POF back in the day buy never shot it before it was sold. I know blasphemy, but reality.

I have a few PWS ARs in both piston and DI. I have zero complaints, been very happy. My current AR supressor host is a PWS piston rifle that runs super clean. Had A POF back in the day buy never shot it before it was sold. I know blasphemy, but reality.
Thanks for the response. I have begun to look at PWS lately, in fact I just bought a PWS p114 Mod-1 on Friday off of the PWS site. It was a blem but it sold for $1200 instead of $2100. Hopefully it arrives by Friday/Saturday. All of the numbers and Mods 1 & 2 got a bit confusing. If it is a winner I will probably buy a 308 Match next.

I've had a POF Revolution (308) in the past and currently have a 300 BO. Love the lightweight and solid feel of the rifles. Found a POF 415 Edge in a pawn shop here that is just downright filthy the guy is asking $1500 for. NO way its worth that. Maybe $1200, maybe. But cleaned up it would be a nice addition if the barrel is clean.

Both have lots of good qualities and reviews

Thanks for the response. I have begun to look at PWS lately, in fact I just bought a PWS p114 Mod-1 on Friday off of the PWS site. It was a blem but it sold for $1200 instead of $2100. Hopefully it arrives by Friday/Saturday. All of the numbers and Mods 1 & 2 got a bit confusing. If it is a winner I will probably buy a 308 Match next.

I've had a POF Revolution (308) in the past and currently have a 300 BO. Love the lightweight and solid feel of the rifles. Found a POF 415 Edge in a pawn shop here that is just downright filthy the guy is asking $1500 for. NO way its worth that. Maybe $1200, maybe. But cleaned up it would be a nice addition if the barrel is clean.

Both have lots of good qualities and reviews
Here is a video of IV8888 doing a meltdown on a POF Edge 416 (fully auto variant). It did rather well considering most guns would never be pushed to a fraction of what he put this one through. I have the .308 version of this (not the Revolution). It's a heavy beast but it seems to be very well built. The adjustable gas/piston settings is a plus.

Last Edited:
Here is a video of IV8888 doing a meltdown on a POF Edge 416 (fully auto variant). It did rather well considering most guns would never be pushed to a fraction of what he put this one through. I have the .308 version of this (not the Revolution). I don't shoot it much because of ammo prices and it's a heavy beast but it seems to be very well built. The adjustable gas/piston settings is a plus.

I'd love to hear if they sent this one back to POF to ask them what happened with the full auto on this. For no other reason than my own curiosity. As hot as this one ran I have seen other meltdowns that were literally completely red/white. Am glad to see how the steel casings did in this too. Thanks for sending it along.

Got the PWS in and went and shot it. got about 50+ rounds through it and the ejection post stopped kicking it out. PWS, to their credit, had me send it back in ( could have just sent a whole new bolt to me) so they could test it themselves. Should hear something back after this weekend.

I'd love to hear if they sent this one back to POF to ask them what happened with the full auto on this. For no other reason than my own curiosity. As hot as this one ran I have seen other meltdowns that were literally completely red/white. Am glad to see how the steel casings did in this too. Thanks for sending it along.

Got the PWS in and went and shot it. got about 50+ rounds through it and the ejection post stopped kicking it out. PWS, to their credit, had me send it back in ( could have just sent a whole new bolt to me) so they could test it themselves. Should hear something back after this weekend.
The piston in theory would keep most of the gas in the front of the gun vs a DI so the heat would have dissipated through the barrel/muzzle vs the chamber. Perhaps the barrel drooped slightly causing a malfunction of the piston.
In any event, normal hard use seems to be no problem with these. I'd like to see Tim put it through the gauntlet.

The piston in theory would keep most of the gas in the front of the gun vs a DI so the heat would have dissipated through the barrel/muzzle vs the chamber. Perhaps the barrel drooped slightly causing a malfunction of the piston.
In any event, normal hard use seems to be no problem with these. I'd like to see Tim put it through the gauntlet.
The military tests guns by doing just this to them, doing a meltdown test. But from what I read they only do it on 5.56 rifles, thinking that 308s (belt fed) are usually shot in bursts not long term trigger pulls. Because that would only make aiming impossible. But POF tests their 308 exactly like this, doing a meltdown test. Only gun maker to do so.

The military tests guns by doing just this to them, doing a meltdown test. But from what I read they only do it on 5.56 rifles, thinking that 308s (belt fed) are usually shot in bursts not long term trigger pulls. Because that would only make aiming impossible. But POF tests their 308 exactly like this, doing a meltdown test. Only gun maker to do so.
Yep and I could be wrong but I thought with larger cal guns the military can swap barrels once they've run too hot.

I'm not sure how a long stroke PWS system might fare under the same conditions. Both seem to be very well made guns it just boils down to physics at that point.

Yep and I could be wrong but I thought with larger cal guns the military can swap barrels once they've run too hot.

I'm not sure how a long stroke PWS system might fare under the same conditions. Both seem to be very well made guns it just boils down to physics at that point.
The barrel swapping is part of it but POF wanted to make his tests absolutely the hardest of anyone. BTW his 308s did pass the same test.

No, I had read that in a review of the quality of POF rifles and how they were designed. I believe it was from a big article of Guns & Ammo
I've read mixed reviews about POF over the years. Apparently they used to use Rock Creek barrels and Geissele triggers and after they moved away from them was when they started getting mixed reviews. Some people weren't pleased with the accuracy they were getting. I think some of the reviews were people's inability to tune a rifle to the loads they were running and or a suppressor. Especially people accustomed to using bolt guns. An adjustable gas piston should make it pretty easy work though.

That being said, I'm thinking of selling my VERY low round count P308 Edge rifle. I've been gearing my tastes more toward long range accuracy rather than hard use SHTF these days, which was for awhile, all I cared about.

I've read mixed reviews about POF over the years. Apparently they used to use Rock Creek barrels and Geissele triggers and after they moved away from them was when they started getting mixed reviews. Some people weren't pleased with the accuracy they were getting. I think some of the reviews were people's inability to tune a rifle to the loads they were running and or a suppressor. Especially people accustomed to using bolt guns. An adjustable gas piston should make it pretty easy work though.

That being said, I'm thinking of selling my VERY low round count P308 Edge rifle. I've been gearing my tastes more toward long range accuracy rather than hard use SHTF these days, which was for awhile, all I cared about.
308 EDGE? The Edge is 5.56. Comes in a piston driven model and in a DI configuration
308s come in Revolution or Rogue. But maybe they had it at one time, I could be uninformed.

308 EDGE? The Edge is 5.56. Comes in a piston driven model and in a DI configuration
308s come in Revolution or Rogue. But maybe they had it at one time, I could be uninformed.
The Edge was discontinued (in .308) after the Revolution was introduced. The only difference being the lighter carrier for the Revolution. The Edge was made in both 5.56 and .308 until then.

The guy who founded POF was a stickler for building his rifles strong, accurate and built to his standards. But I guess he passed away a few years back and maybe things changed at POF after that.

I have a POF Renegade+ in 5.56 and it is a beast. It has some neat innovative features like the dictator gas block, heat sink barrel nut, e2 ejection and rolling cam wheel. It shoots great, has been accurate and 100% reliable. There isn't really anything I can think of that I don't like about it, and I haven't swapped out a single part. They pretty much hit the nail on the head with this one. I don't think I would pay MSRP, but I picked up a lightly used one for a great deal on here several years back.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top