JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I've tried to read every search option on a AR pistol or SBR on the forum, but haven't come up with a answer. Since I build all my own 80% lowers, am I legally allowed to make one a pistol without the tax stamp or SBR forums?

I should I add I want a rifle stock not a pistol tube.

Thanks NWFA

Last Edited:
question is confusing...

you cannot put a rifle stock on an AR pistol, that becomes an SBR. the rifle stock with short pistol barrel becomes a short barreled rifle...

you cannot get a tax stamp for a SBR made in Washington state, it must be a completed rifle manufactured and assembled out of state and shipped here for sale.

you can make an 80% ar-pistol, that's fine, but NEVER put a rifle stock on it, in fact don't even have the unassembled parts of a AR pistol and a AR rifle in the same house if you want to be real anal about the law here.

i personally suggest that when you make your AR pistol lower from an 80% you part mark it/engrave it as a pistol so there is zero confusion about what your intentions with it are and use a pistol buffer tube.....

i'll try my best to help if you have any more questions.

Ronin,

I was hoping that wasn't the answer....... I was wanting to build a 7.5" barrel length and folding stock to keep on the sportfisher. I guess 16" with folding stock is going to be as good as it gets legally. Thanks Ronin.

question is confusing...

you cannot put a rifle stock on an AR pistol, that becomes an SBR. the rifle stock with short pistol barrel becomes a short barreled rifle...

you cannot get a tax stamp for a SBR made in Washington state, it must be a completed rifle manufactured and assembled out of state and shipped here for sale.

you can make an 80% ar-pistol, that's fine, but NEVER put a rifle stock on it, in fact don't even have the unassembled parts of a AR pistol and a AR rifle in the same house if you want to be real anal about the law here.

i personally suggest that when you make your AR pistol lower from an 80% you part mark it/engrave it as a pistol so there is zero confusion about what your intentions with it are and use a pistol buffer tube.....

no problem.
have you ever shot an ar pistol before?

they shoot pretty decent even without a rife stock on them...

i mean it's not something you'd want to take to training class or spend all day at the range with, but a hour or two of shooting on it is fine for me personally...

just something to think about

No I haven't shot a AR pistol. They look like a blast , and the size with folding stock option fits perfect in a small cabinet in my lower helm. Oh well , it was worth a shot ;)

no problem.
have you ever shot an ar pistol before?

they shoot pretty decent even without a rife stock on them...

i mean it's not something you'd want to take to training class or spend all day at the range with, but a hour or two of shooting on it is fine for me personally...

just something to think about

No I haven't shot a AR pistol. They look like a blast , and the size with folding stock option fits perfect in a small cabinet in my lower helm. Oh well , it was worth a shot ;)

i wouldn't scrap the idea yet...
i really suggest you try shooting someones AR pistol with a sig brace before you junk the idea..

here's an example of what one looks like.

Law-Tactical-AR-Folding-Stock-Adapter-Folded.jpg

do some reading up on the sig brace though, there is some controversy that surrounds it and i think it's important that you are aware of that if your going to buy/use the device...

what you decide to do from there is on you.

that said, i really like mine.

Law-Tactical-AR-Folding-Stock-Adapter-Folded.jpg

10.5" barrel on yours?

i wouldn't scrap the idea yet...
i really suggest you try shooting someones AR pistol with a sig brace before you junk the idea..

here's an example of what one looks like.

View attachment 275374

do some reading up on the sig brace though, there is some controversy that surrounds it and i think it's important that you are aware of that if your going to buy/use the device...

what you decide to do from there is on you.

that said, i really like mine.

Ronin,

I was hoping that wasn't the answer....... I was wanting to build a 7.5" barrel length and folding stock to keep on the sportfisher. I guess 16" with folding stock is going to be as good as it gets legally. Thanks Ronin.

Why not build a 7.5" pistol and forget the stock to keep on your boat?

buffertube_zpsjmfgn3bm.jpg

Last Edited:
I think I would really like to have the stock for support and accuracy. I suppose if I really had to use I'm going to want atleast a 16" barrel for targets over 50+ yards. Awesome looking pistol though !!!!!

yes sir, but no folding stock, the image above isn't mine.

Why not build a 7.5" pistol and forget the stock to keep on your boat?

Technically if I really had to use a firearm for my safety on the open water , I would want a RPG not a 223......... ;)

Had a incident a few years back down near mexico and will never leave the dock again without something for protection..

I built a 10.5 " pistola EBR for less than 500 bills including Bushnell RDS. It will get the Shockwave wedge shortly and be my truck gun. I like the extra 3 inches of burned powder and it's still only 26 and change inches long. It fits my current and future needs and foreseeable scenarios where I may not have my 14.5 BCM upper carbine handy. Or if do then the wifey has something easy to aim.:rolleyes:

YMMV

Brutus out

Technically if I really had to use a firearm for my safety on the open water , I would want a RPG not a 223......... ;)

Had a incident a few years back down near mexico and will never leave the dock again without something for protection..
Well,once you leve the coast of Washington,you are in Oregon waters and their laws. Once you leave the coast of Oregon ,you are in California waters and their laws. That's where you may want to check the laws,as you would need an AR that is legal in California
Now when you reach Mexico,I surely wouldn't want to get caught with any weapons on my boat.
Unless I knew someone who needed to be paid

True and false. I run usually 12 nautical miles offshore which is territorial waters and not governed by the states coast your on. Firearms are always a sticky subject , but I've been boarded countless times by coast guard and every time I'm honest about their questions and they give me a thumbs up captain and safe passage. All it takes in this world is not to act like a fool or be a dead beat. Now Mexico is a different story , it's the Wild West. Lived in Mexico for a few years , cash is their laws.

Well,once you leve the coast of Washington,you are in Oregon waters and their laws. Once you leave the coast of Oregon ,you are in California waters and their laws. That's where you may want to check the laws,as you would need an AR that is legal in California
Now when you reach Mexico,I surely wouldn't want to get caught with any weapons on my boat.
Unless I knew someone who needed to be paid

I just built a 9" 300 blk pistol and I can tell you it is surprisingly accurate. After punching the bullseye out with a red dot at 50 yds, I put a sig brace and a scope on it to test to see how accurate. Turns out it will give some of my bolt guns a run for there money. I had been told that Accuracy has nothing to do with barrel length and now I am a believer.

question is confusing...

I thought bill SB 6165 - 2015-16 fixed that. I'm pretty sure I have a friend the just form1 a few rifles this year in Washington.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top