JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hardened is in my back yard and I have ordered various ar parts from them and have been generally pleased with them. I have called and talked to them on the phone and they were very accomodating even inviting me to stop in the shop on Orcas Island. I have yet to take them up on it but it is on my to do list. I know several people that have bought complete uppers from them and they have been pleased as well.

Bullet placement is everything. I've seen vids of pigs being taken with a .22 LR - goes down immediately. I've seen other vids of 6.5 failing to take down a pig when it was not hit right. Apparently there is a sweet spot behind the ear that works well?

It also depends on the pig - the size and age.

When I retire I would like to spend some time finding out for myself what works and what doesn't.

My understanding is that a spine hit is ideal. They'll still run a long time on a lung shot. Again, I've never been on as pig hunt so that's just what I've been told. Someday, I hope.

I vote for 6.8 as well. No experience with it on pigs but I really enjoy the one I have. Mine is set up SPRish with a 2.5-10 PST. It has seen a fair amount of farm truck duty and killed a few coyotes. As matter of fact, I took it out and shot it about 10 days ago for the first time in a while. Still doesn't shoot the tightest groups at 100 yards (which is probably more to do with a 10x scope) but not bad and I was ringing the 400/600 steel no problem.

The one thing I will say about the Hardened Arms upper listed above is do some research on the twist rate. I am pretty sure that the preferred twist rate is 1/11 but it has been a while since I did my 6.8 research.

Alabama Wildlife Management Areas restrict hog hunting guns (during the small game season) to those allowed for small game ie: Air rifles, rimfire rifles, and shotguns with #4 birdshot or smaller.

22WMR will work just fine. Hogs can be taken here in Florida during the small game season when centerfire rifles aren't allowed.

I like Hornady's 30gr V-Max or Federal's 50gr Game Shock.

Hog will drop if you hit them in the ear to about 3 inches below and behind the ear (brain and brain stem) as well as just below and behind the front 'armpit' (heart). Skin is thin in both areas and tracking, if any, will be minimal. Lung shot can be a long track.

There are places in the South, where .22 Magnum is the maximum allowed cartridge for hogs. We think they are hard to kill, but apparently it's all about shot placement.

If a .22 WMR is enough, then a .22 centerfire really ought to be enough, although neither would be my personal choice.

Last Edited:
All of the calibers will work. The nice thing about using a semi-auto is that a follow up shot is pretty quick. Growing up in Hawaii, all the pig hunters I knew used either a lever action 30-30 or a Mini-14.

Having said that, since you're giving it as a gift, have you asked him what he thinks would be the ideal caliber? I know guys who hunt but do not reload and don't want to bother with exotic calibers. If they can't buy a box of ammo at Walmart, they ain't gonna bother. If you gave them a 300 BO, 6.8, or 458 SOCOM, they would thank you and then either sell it or park it in the gun safe forever.

One buddy who lives in SE Texas uses an AR in 5.56 with 64 grain Gold Dots (someday I'll make it down there to hunt with him). I asked him if they worked okay and perhaps his M1A would be better? He said, "They work fine. All the pigs I've shot have stayed shot." Works for me!

All of the calibers will work. The nice thing about using a semi-auto is that a follow up shot is pretty quick. Growing up in Hawaii, all the pig hunters I knew used either a lever action 30-30 or a Mini-14.

Having said that, since you're giving it as a gift, have you asked him what he thinks would be the ideal caliber? I know guys who hunt but do not reload and don't want to bother with exotic calibers. If they can't buy a box of ammo at Walmart, they ain't gonna bother. If you gave them a 300 BO, 6.8, or 458 SOCOM, they would thank you and then either sell it or park it in the gun safe forever.

One buddy who lives in SE Texas uses an AR in 5.56 with 64 grain Gold Dots (someday I'll make it down there to hunt with him). I asked him if they worked okay and perhaps his M1A would be better? He said, "They work fine. All the pigs I've shot have stayed shot." Works for me!
All good points. I haven't asked him because it will be a surprise. That's kind of why I presented the caliber question here. I'm still leaning toward 6.8 at this point. Saw plenty on the shelf at Sportsman's yesterday so availability shouldn't be an issue. I guess if he just doesn't like it he's free to sell it or trade it for something he likes better. No hurt feelings here.

All good points. I haven't asked him because it will be a surprise. That's kind of why I presented the caliber question here. I'm still leaning toward 6.8 at this point. Saw plenty on the shelf at Sportsman's yesterday so availability shouldn't be an issue. I guess if he just doesn't like it he's free to sell it or trade it for something he likes better. No hurt feelings here.

I was thinking that since it's a gift, you can just chat about it. I would ask him "Hey, what caliber would you use for pig hunting?" Or, "I was just talking to a buddy about pig hunting. What do you think about using the 300 BO for pigs?" Hopefully he will just look at it as gun/guy talk and nothing more.

Didn't know that Walmart is now selling those calibers. I buy my motor oil from Walmart but buy most of my ammo online.

You guys keep buying junk aftermarket equipment. We shot AR's with factory Colt 7.62X39 conversions (they were still experimental) in the early 80's. They ran perfectly on our M16 platforms. 300 Blackout is a useless redundant caliber, particularly for a hand loader.
THANK YOU. Thought I was the only one that saw 300blk for what it really was.. Something for guys to simply spend extra money on.

THANK YOU. Thought I was the only one that saw 300blk for what it really was.. Something for guys to simply spend extra money on.
I'll probably never own a 300BLK but I wouldn't call it useless.
Brass and bullets are beyond plentiful.
I saw one operating suppressed and it's true, they suppress very, very well.
Probably more of a plinking round than a hunting round, though.
I could be wrong on that.

No doubt, the cheapest way to get bigger boolits to come out of your AR, if you handload.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top