JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am unfamiliar with these regions. Usually hunt Eastern Oregon with 338 bolt gun for elk with semi-auto 30.06 as backup for wooded areas. Usually use 30.06 bolt gun for deer.

I have 270 Winchester bolt gun for long distance shooting for deer and it is very accurate. All guns are scoped.

I do not know these regions wondering if they are heavily wooded or open areas? Any suggestions. Thanks.

I would think either of those rifles would work. 30.06 or 300 WM is tough to beat for either game. The .270 is nice as well, and as an experienced hunter I would assume you know that each caliber would do the job when the hunter does his.

Is there some specific configuration you are looking for....maybe a more lightweight rifle than what you currently have?
I have never been to the areas that you mention, though.

Last Edited:
Id load the 30-06 with a good 180gr bullet and use it for both. Or your 300 WM. Maybe 210gr in your 338. Wouldn't spend much time fiddle farting around being perfect for each species. I used to have hunting rifles like golf clubs. One for short range, one for long range, one for this, one for that. I could do just about all of it with a 30-06, 3-9x scope, and a load of H4350 and a 180gr partition.

Last Edited:
I am trying to figure out the best round for the lay of the land in these units. At present I do not have a preference for either round not knowing if these areas are open landscapes or heavily wooded.

Not trying to be a smart azz here...
But have you tried Goggle Earth to see what the area looks like...this may be of some help.

As for what cartridge ... I'd suggest whatever 180 bullet your .30-06 likes the best and you'd be set...its tough to beat a .30-06 for most any game and any hunting shot , that you may come across.
Andy

My opinion is that you are over thinking this. Any of the rifles you mentioned with a weight appropriate bullet that you shoot well will do the job. People kill elk with 270s and individuals have killed deer with a 338. Good luck with your hunts.

Not trying to be a smart azz here...
But have you tried Goggle Earth to see what the area looks like...this may be of some help.

As for what cartridge ... I'd suggest whatever 180 bullet your .30-06 likes the best and you'd be set...its tough to beat a .30-06 for most any game and any hunting shot , that you may come across.
Andy
You cant use Google the pics are way out of date. Ya might have 20ft trees in a place Google shows as clear cut.

Grizzly, Unit 38
Google Maps

Unit Map:
upload_2019-6-23_21-33-4.png

I am unfamiliar with these regions. Usually hunt Eastern Oregon with 338 bolt gun for elk with semi-auto 30.06 as backup for wooded areas. Usually use 30.06 bolt gun for deer.

I have 270 Winchester bolt gun for long distance shooting for deer and it is very accurate. All guns are scoped.

I do not know these regions wondering if they are heavily wooded or open areas? Any suggestions. Thanks.
You have a mix of both woods and open areas.
Generally, more woods in the west. More open areas in the east.
The arsenal you're sporting now should work just fine.
I hope those scopes are adjustable (magnification).

Dean

I am trying to figure out the best round for the lay of the land in these units. At present I do not have a preference for either round not knowing if these areas are open landscapes or heavily wooded.
If you have it, when in doubt, .30-06.
Tailor the load to the landscape, OR, if its your first time out, just make sure the bullets you're using are boat tailed spitzers.
The shape is more accurate over longer ranges. At shorter ranges, everything is accurate if you loaded it right.
If you're hunting wooded areas, turn the magnification on your scope down.
Out in the more desert/mountainous regions where the longer shots are more prevalent, turn the magnification up.
One gun should do you fine, regardless of where you hunt, as long as you use proper loads, a good scope and a comfy sling. (he says looking at 2 gun cases full of guns ;) ).

Dean

Last Edited:
If you have it, when in doubt, .30-06.
Tailor the load to the landscape, OR, if its your first time out, just make sure the bullets you're using are boat tailed spitzers.
The shape is more accurate over longer ranges. At shorter ranges, everything is accurate if you loaded it right.
If you're hunting wooded areas, turn the magnification on your scope down.
Out in the more desert/mountainous regions where the longer shots are more prevalent, turn the magnification up.
One gun should do you fine, regardless of where you hunt, as long as you use proper loads, a good scope and a comfy sling. (he says looking at 2 gun cases full of guns ;) ).

Dean
I agree with Dean to me the magnification is as important as the cartridge.
I have many of rifles scoped with 2-7 or 3-9 powered scopes and most of the time they are kept at 5-6 power magnification
Too much scope is a bad thing for hunting - you see every beat of your heart in too high a power scope and they suck for off hand shooting. Most of the time when hunting you wont be shooting off a bench. Just my opinion.

My favorite all around scope is a burris sixX 2-12x. I covers the gamut from thick cover to wide open spaces. It is no coincidence it is mounted on what I consider my most versatile and favorite rifle, a Kimber Montana in 280 AI. I would pretty much hunt anything anywhere in North America with this combo. Well maybe with the exception of the largest Brown Bears. Even then with a well constructed 175 gr bullet I think it would do fine on a big Brownie, it just would not be my first choice. I think you would be well served with one of your bolt guns in 270, 30-06 or 300 win mag and a 2-7 or 3x9 scope. As others have said pick the one that you are most comfortable with, both carrying and shooting and hunt it. Any of those calibers are more than capable of doing the job. One caveat on the 270 with elk is I would use a 140 gr or heavier bullet for elk. I have killed two large elk with 140 gr accubonds without issue. Good luck and have fun!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top