JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think, if he already has an AR, go 300 BO. that way, he doesnt have to mess around with getting different mags
He doesn't. I was going to give him one of mine in .223/5.56 but include another upper. My first thought was to go 300 BO but read that they go lame at around 100-150 yards so I was having second thoughts. My thinking was the same on the mags and BCG -- use what you've got.

They'll all "work".:D just mostly curious about real world experience.

I'm trying to get a hog hunt scheduled in TX next year, and posting here to follow the progress. I was planning on using a 5.56 AR topped with a Vortex 1-4x24.

guys i know who hunt pigs prefer 6.8 and 300blk.
Yep, the 6.8SPC seems to be the favorite among the hog guys.
Practically the State Cartridge of Texas.

Expensive ammo if you don't handload, but the 458 SOCOM is a pig-splattering round.
The barrel and bolt are the only unique parts.
Single-stacks in USGI or Lancer mags. 20 rd 5.56 = 7 round 458 SOCOM.
What's in your magazine ?
A-9.jpg

They'll all "work".:D just mostly curious about real world experience.
The problem you have is limiting the choice to an AR platform. I would probably use my SCAR 17s or one of my classic bolt guns maby my Steyr 6.5X55......but a Garand, M1a, there are countless appropriate choices. We used to shoot coyotes from an airplane with 12 gauge 00 buck that was very effective. If I was close and could pick my Shot, I wouldn't be afraid to use a 22 LR, they are still used commonly to kill slaughter animals here in real country. All that being said, the 7.62X39 duplicates a 30-30 ballistically, a perfect 100 yard rifle for nearly anything on the continent. I would prefer a .308 bore to the typical .312 mostly because of a greater bullet selection and improved accuracy when using the smaller diameter bullets. My CZ 527 is an incredible little rifle in that caliber.

I am sure more are shot with a 30-06 than with anything else knowing Texans. The guys I know are about utility and getting the job done.......not being exotic or using specialized ammo.
oh yeah. every farmer john in texas has a 30-06 that used to be their grandaddys :D(myself included)

30-06 IMO is one of the greats... over a century later and its still being debated best overall hunting caliber.

The problem you have is limiting the choice to an AR platform.
That's kind of the point of the post. I don't know what all he has in his collection aside from a couple SKSs, an AK, a 30-30 lever gun, and a few pistols. I know he doesn't have an AR and wanted to get his feet wet. I've got a basic but reliable one and thought I'd pass it along. Was just thinking a bonus upper in a pig (un)friendly caliber might be a neat part of the package.

That's kind of the point of the post. I don't know what all he has in his collection aside from a couple SKSs, an AK, a 30-30 lever gun, and a few pistols. I know he doesn't have an AR and wanted to get his feet wet. I've got a basic but reliable one and thought I'd pass it along. Was just thinking a bonus upper in a pig (un)friendly caliber might be a neat part of the package.

I understand this. In that case, either the AR-10 or the 7.62x39 upper on an AR-15 would be your best bet when tackling hogs.

This is just my humble opinion.

I can help with component selection for an accurate and reliable 7.62x39 AR build. Drop me a pm if interested. I would love to go piggy hunting with one of mine. It is on my bucket list.

Someone should address the elephant in the room. What he really wants is something about the right size for Texas! 50 BMG

Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews