JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Mostly unnecessary backstory: I'm building a new house and one of my parents' good friends is acting as general contractor at a substantially reduced rate. Almost as a favor, really. I'd like to give him an AR15 as a small thank you. As a little extra, I was thinking of including an additional upper with the thought that it might serve double duty on his annual trip to Texas to hunt hogs on a relative's ranch. He says the area he hunts is brushy and most of his kills have been 50-120 yards.

I've done a little reading on the subject but since I've never been on a pig hunt, I'm hoping for input from those that have.
Some guys say .223 is good enough, some swear by 6.8, others Grendel, even some 300 blackout fans. What would be the ideal hog caliber at @100 yards?

7.62x39.
Ammo is plentiful, cheap and could be a 200 yard gun. Think of it as a 30/30 or similar ballistics.
I'm in a middle of building one as we speak and putting a 1-6 scope on it.
I also have a CZ carbine bolt action in 76239 and it's moa shooter with silver bear ammo.

He has a couple SKSs so I know he already stocks ammo. My understanding is that 300bo is very similar to 7.62, balistically speaking. 300's advantage being able to use the standard 5.56/.223 mags and BCG. Not sure if 7.62 feeding issues are real or just internet rumors.

I've done some search on the magazine thing and sounds like you just need to get the proper one.
I had an sks and hated it that thing.
I don't care for the 300 blackout hype. Might as well get the x39 for cheap.
Even though I love my 270 and have butt load of bullets , The 6.8 I'm on the fence about as it's loosing ground to the 6.5 Grendel. Ballistically and popularity.

Funny you bring this up. My father in law hunts hogs in the south. He writes in several newspapers, magazines and online.

He says hogs are stout animals and unless you get a great shot, anything less powerful than a 308 you'll likely lose your ham.

So for an upcoming article for mossberg, he chose a 6.5 creedmore chambered patriot model.

I've never stalked hogs and all of this info is second hand albeit from a man who knows a thing or two about hunting in general. For what it's worth....
:s0159:
Ps: mighty fine of you to do this for your GC. No matter what, I'm sure he'll be quite pleased with your gift:)

Funny you bring this up. My father in law hunts hogs in the south. He writes in several newspapers, magazines and online.

He says hogs are stout animals and unless you get a great shot, anything less powerful than a 308 you'll likely lose your ham.

So for an upcoming article for mossberg, he chose a 6.5 creedmore chambered patriot model.

I've never stalked hogs and all of this info is second hand albeit from a man who knows a thing or two about hunting in general. For what it's worth....
:s0159:
Ps: mighty fine of you to do this for your GC. No matter what, I'm sure he'll be quite pleased with your gift:)
Sounds like a reliable source. From the stories my builder tells, most in that area are on the smaller side. Last time he was there he used a loaner 25-06 and it was waaay more than enough.

I saw the devastation a 55-grain frangible round delivered on a charging 200# hog, literally blew the left eye out of its socket when it entered the right eye and it tumbled to a stop. Pretty awesome for $1. If you are feeling rather generous a .50 beowulf is fantastic!

I'm actually a big fan of 7.62 so you guys aren't going to have to try too hard to sell me on the round. Just heard/read too many reliability stories. A former coworker bought a kit and it's the only AR I've ever encountered that didn't run great out of the box. Never could get it to cycle 100%. Just sits in his safe.

I'm actually a big fan of 7.62 so you guys aren't going to have to try too hard to sell me on the round. Just heard/read too many reliability stories. A former coworker bought a kit and it's the only AR I've ever encountered that didn't run great out of the box. Never could get it to cycle 100%. Just sits in his safe.
The Mutant is a bit more expensive, but 100% reliable out of the box.

You guys keep buying junk aftermarket equipment. We shot AR's with factory Colt 7.62X39 conversions (they were still experimental) in the early 80's. They ran perfectly on our M16 platforms. 300 Blackout is a useless redundant caliber, particularly for a hand loader.

You guys keep buying junk aftermarket equipment. We shot AR's with factory Colt 7.62X39 conversions (they were still experimental) in the early 80's. They ran perfectly on our M16 platforms. 300 Blackout is a useless redundant caliber, particularly for a hand loader.

Agreed 7.62 x 39 is the least expensive option. If you want an "instant" stop 7.62 x 51 (.308 Win) is a good way to go.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top