JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello, I wanted to see if anyone from WA State as had a Form 1 approved for an SPR? I recently submitted a request to make an SBR and received the below rejection. I had a Form 1 aproved after the WA State law was changed.Thanks

From the ATF rejection of my Form 1:
"WASHINGTON STATE LAW PROVIDES THAT ?IT IS UNLAWFUL FOR ANY PERSON TO MANUFACTURE??. WASH. REV. CODE ? 9.41.190(1). THE LAW FURTHER PROVIDES THAT IT IS UNLAWFUL ?TO ASSEMBLE OR REPAIR ANY?SHORT-BARRELED RIFLE.? ID.
THE EXCEPTIONS TO THIS PROHIBITION ARE LIMITED. AN UNLICENSED PERSON MAY ?POSSESS, TRANSPORT, ACQUIRE, OR
TRANSFER A SHORT-BARRELED RIFLE THAT IS LEGALLY REGISTERED AND POSSESSED, TRANSPORTED, ACQUIRED, OR
TRANSFERRED IN ACCORDANCE WITH FEDERAL LAW.? WASH. REV. CODE ? 9.41.190(2). WHILE ? 9.41.190(2) PERMITS THE
POSSESSION, TRANSPORT, ACQUISITION, AND TRANSFER OF A SHORT-BARRELED RIFLE IN WASHINGTON, IT DOES NOT PERMIT
THEIR MANUFACTURE OR ASSEMBLY BY UNLICENSED PERSONS. ACCORDINGLY, ATF CANNOT APPROVE FORM 1
APPLICATIONS TO MAKE SHORT-BARRELED RIFLES WITHIN THE STATE OF WASHINGTON SUBMITTED BY UNLICENSED
PERSONS. / REFUND OF THE FEDERAL MAKING TAX IS IN PROCESS?TEC"

SBR's are NOT illegal, you can still BUY one or have one built by a approved shop, What has changed is you are no longer allowed to assemble one yourself. No form 1's

Thanks but if SPRs are legal in WA which I had one approved how can the ATF deny them now?

I believe the short answer is:

Still legal to own.
Still legal to buy from a manufacturer.
There is a conflict between WA State Law about construction individuals (Form-1) that was an un-intended consequence of one of the recently passed bills and the ATF allowing construction. (ATF = Yes // WA = No for form 1)

It's my understanding, based on reading here and several other sites, that ATF is/has been rejecting construction by individuals (Form-1) until the conflict with the WA law is resolved.

I'm sure someone closer to the legal discussion can provide more detail. I believe it's in one or more of the other threads in this NFA section too.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews