JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello, I wanted to see if anyone from WA State as had a Form 1 approved for an SPR? I recently submitted a request to make an SBR and received the below rejection. I had a Form 1 aproved after the WA State law was changed.Thanks

From the ATF rejection of my Form 1:
"WASHINGTON STATE LAW PROVIDES THAT ?IT IS UNLAWFUL FOR ANY PERSON TO MANUFACTURE??. WASH. REV. CODE ? 9.41.190(1). THE LAW FURTHER PROVIDES THAT IT IS UNLAWFUL ?TO ASSEMBLE OR REPAIR ANY?SHORT-BARRELED RIFLE.? ID.
THE EXCEPTIONS TO THIS PROHIBITION ARE LIMITED. AN UNLICENSED PERSON MAY ?POSSESS, TRANSPORT, ACQUIRE, OR
TRANSFER A SHORT-BARRELED RIFLE THAT IS LEGALLY REGISTERED AND POSSESSED, TRANSPORTED, ACQUIRED, OR
TRANSFERRED IN ACCORDANCE WITH FEDERAL LAW.? WASH. REV. CODE ? 9.41.190(2). WHILE ? 9.41.190(2) PERMITS THE
POSSESSION, TRANSPORT, ACQUISITION, AND TRANSFER OF A SHORT-BARRELED RIFLE IN WASHINGTON, IT DOES NOT PERMIT
THEIR MANUFACTURE OR ASSEMBLY BY UNLICENSED PERSONS. ACCORDINGLY, ATF CANNOT APPROVE FORM 1
APPLICATIONS TO MAKE SHORT-BARRELED RIFLES WITHIN THE STATE OF WASHINGTON SUBMITTED BY UNLICENSED
PERSONS. / REFUND OF THE FEDERAL MAKING TAX IS IN PROCESS?TEC"

SBR's are NOT illegal, you can still BUY one or have one built by a approved shop, What has changed is you are no longer allowed to assemble one yourself. No form 1's

Thanks but if SPRs are legal in WA which I had one approved how can the ATF deny them now?

I believe the short answer is:

Still legal to own.
Still legal to buy from a manufacturer.
There is a conflict between WA State Law about construction individuals (Form-1) that was an un-intended consequence of one of the recently passed bills and the ATF allowing construction. (ATF = Yes // WA = No for form 1)

It's my understanding, based on reading here and several other sites, that ATF is/has been rejecting construction by individuals (Form-1) until the conflict with the WA law is resolved.

I'm sure someone closer to the legal discussion can provide more detail. I believe it's in one or more of the other threads in this NFA section too.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top