JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't know where the gun was found, but it could be that the owner was simply in a hurry to get his pant's down and afterwards forgot about the gun. I lost a S&W 627 custom shop eight round snub nose .357 in Colorado a couple of years ago. Looked for it for two days and never found it. It was in a thumb break holster and when I got near the bottom of the canyon, I realized it was gone. Did I take it out of the holster and leave it on the ATV when I was putting my pack on? Did brush unsnap the thumb break? Beats the schit out of me. I'd much rather have lost it dropping my pants for a good reason:)

It may have been planted so the OSP can get kudos from the governorette by creating a felon out of some unsuspecting dupe of a gun owner!!!
I hope whoever retrieved it checked to see if an Oregonian photographer was skulking in the nearby brush.

Sheldon

According to Washington State laws, "finders keepers" doesn't apply to anything except pocket change.
You have to turn in anything of value you find - and if the "owner" doesn't claim it, you can apply for it.
that's anything... silly, but true.

According to Washington State laws, "finders keepers" doesn't apply to anything except pocket change.
You have to turn in anything of value you find - and if the "owner" doesn't claim it, you can apply for it.
that's anything... silly, but true.

good luck with that Washinton.

The right thing to do is turn it in to the cops. If it's been reported as lost or stolen it WILL be returned to the best of the police' ability to find the original owner. If they can't then oh well you can sleep with a clear conscious.
Isn't that what YOU'D want to happen if YOU accidentally lost your pistol?

Not that I condone it, but I hate to think someone would leave a murder or robbery weapon in one piece and holstered. I would think when the person went to take his after diner read he'd think, that was easy, and remember something was missing.

The right thing to do is turn it in to the cops. If it's been reported as lost or stolen it WILL be returned to the best of the police' ability to find the original owner. If they can't then oh well you can sleep with a clear conscious.
Isn't that what YOU'D want to happen if YOU accidentally lost your pistol?

You trust the cops a LOT more than I do. By orders of magnitude.

I might be tempted to strip it, melt the plastique and keep the rest for spares...not that anyone needs spare parts for Glox since they are perfection and only haters of the lowest form would disagree with that statement of fact. :D

Turning it in is the right thing to do.
What happens to the pistol after that , falls into the "Not under my control" category.

Klaus486 brings up a good point.
If it was your pistol what would you want to have happen?
Andy

You trust the cops a LOT more than I do. By orders of magnitude.
While I agree with you mostly I am in the firearms business and I've watched officers deal with stolen guns right in front of me. They get case numbers and make phone calls and even arrested one guy. While I want ZERO interactions with law enforcement outside of work they've been professional and diligent when I've had to work with them. Basically if you've reported a gun stolen and supplied the correct serial number and description if it gets purchased by a dealer in oregon or sold by a dealer in Oregon it's going to get a visit from the police!

I know this has nothing to do with firearms but when I was in High School in Ohio the drinking age was 18. If you got pulled over and you were 17 and had a trunk full of beer the officer had a choice. You could pour it out on the side of the road and they'd call your folks or the police would confiscate it and everyone kept their mouths shut. No M.I.P. or any of that silliness. If you were lucky they would confiscate it because you could go over to his house the next day and steal it out of his garage fridge.

I only bring that up because I remember friends of mine with cop dads and relatives of mine who were cops that had great gun collections that they had "found" or "confiscated" over the years. My great grandfather had a whole wall full of "confiscated" guns from a career as an L.A. county sheriff.

If I found a gun laying in the dirt it is incredibly unlikely the police would take possession of it.

I found a nice little Derringer type pistol in .45 colt one time years ago and called the Sheriff's to come an check it out and do what ever they needed to do. About 2 weeks later they called me and asked if I wanted it, they said all I had to do was do a 4473 and pay the fee and it could be mine! Sure I said, Nice little pistol for $10, Heck yea! They were super cool about the whole deal and even recommended a few places to get good ammo for it!

About a year ago, there was a crazy guy on a Yamaha R1 weaving between cars and generally being a menace to society. When he cut in front of me, he had to make a very aggressive move to get between me and the car next to me. When he did that I heard a loud thunk, something hit the front of my truck. When I got home, there was a Glock 42 in the bed of my truck. It must of came off him, hit my hood, and bounce into the bed. I turned it in to the Police, and they said they were going to make every effort to find the owner, and if they couldn't, I could claim it in 90 days. They would let me know. Never heard back. I often wonder if they found the owner, or if the guy at the desk just kept it.
It would be the perfect "cold piece" to drop at the scene of a police shooting to prove that the victim was armed. Not traceable at all.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top