JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm not the first and I certainly won't be the last to struggle with finding the right concealed holster.

I think it goes without saying, but I'm gonna say it anyway, that anyone who is not new to concealed carry probably has a drawer or box or something full of holsters that didn't work.

At this point, I'm getting burnt out on trying different IWB solutions that either don't work or work "good enough". That said, I'm looking at other possible concealed solutions.

I've never worn a shoulder holster, so I'm curious to hear from anyone who has used or might still be using one. The usual... pros, cons, etc... Obviously feedback in terms of holsters can be difficult cause no two people are the same, but maybe shoulder rigs are different in that sense...?

Discuss.

EDIT TO ADD: I've also never tried a belly band style, so maybe thoughts on those if you've tried...🤷‍♂️

Last Edited:
You will find as many opinions as there are shoulder holster brands/styles/etc.

I have a shoulder holster to fit every handgun I own. Some are great, some not so great.

The Michaels/Uncle Mike's are for me, garbage. Difficult to wear, difficult to adjust, and even difficult to put on.

Instead of listing the shoulder holsters I do not like, it's easier to list those that I do like.

Tri-Vertible by Pistol Packaging.

https://www.pistolpackaging.com/Tri_Vertible_Holster_p/tva.htm

They don't look like much, and they are relatively inexpensive, but they work extremely well. They have changed the design a little, and now the shoulder harness is made of a breathable mesh. It used to be made of split leather. Last time I ordered one of these they still had the split leather as an option. The other thing... The hold down is necessary when using this holster vertically, and they charge extra for it.

The other chest/shoulder rig I've settled on is the Guides Choice by Diamond D.

Although marketed as a chest holster, it can be used as a shoulder holster. Slide the holster under your arm, pull the cinch strap, and the holster will stay where you want it. This is an extremely effective and easy to use product, however at $225+ , it's not cheap. But buy once, be satisfied forever.

You ain't wrong.

I use a shoulder holster and prefer it... as the situation allows. I'm well "used' to other CC methods, but for me... I wouldn't say they are as "comfortable". If you spend all day on your feet, IWB and such isn't bad, but if you do much sitting or "up and downing"... I've yet to find an option that is as comfortable and as easy of a draw as shoulder carry.

That said, it's only really an option in the right circumstances. Shoulder carry definitely has some printing and flashing issues. Wardrobe with easy access is key though. It does no good if you have to go digging up under a layer of clothing to draw, right.

Some will argue it's a slower draw, which I can't argue with. Training helps but the distance from the natural positioning of your hands... it is what it is. However, it's also a more concealable draw, IMHO. I mean... hand movements and common body shift toward your IWB or side holster are readily identifiable as to what you're doing. A casual hand movement toward your chest doesn't seem to "telegraph" as dramatically to most layman/criminal types.

As with anything though... YMMV and some will find the weight offset and shift very annoying and difficult to get accustomed to.

You ain't wrong.

I use a shoulder holster and prefer it... as the situation allows. I'm well "used' to other CC methods, but for me... I wouldn't say they are as "comfortable". If you spend all day on your feet, IWB and such isn't bad, but if you do much sitting or "up and downing"... I've yet to find an option that is as comfortable and as easy of a draw as shoulder carry.

That said, it's only really an option in the right circumstances. Shoulder carry definitely has some printing and flashing issues. Wardrobe with easy access is key though. It does no good if you have to go digging up under a layer of clothing to draw, right.

Some will argue it's a slower draw, which I can't argue with. Training helps but the distance from the natural positioning of your hands... it is what it is. However, it's also a more concealable draw, IMHO. I mean... hand movements and common body shift toward your IWB or side holster are readily identifiable as to what you're doing. A casual hand movement toward your chest doesn't seem to "telegraph" as dramatically to most layman/criminal types.

As with anything though... YMMV and some will find the weight offset and shift very annoying and difficult to get accustomed to.
It's interesting, your take on shoulder rigs. I have found a vertical shoulder rig to be the most concealable holster available. But yes, they do need to be under a jacket.

I personally have never paid any attention to a weight offset issue. I'm a large person, and just maybe that has something to do with it. As you said, YMMV . :cool:

Last Edited:
I personally have never paid any attention to a weight offset issue. I'm a large person, and just maybe that has something to do with it. As you said, YMMV . :cool:
It's never bothered me, but I will say... when I was young and lean I noticed it more. As I've gotten older and have a bit more meat on the bones (let's call it "meat") ...holster carry lays and captures much more securely and don't notice it at all anymore. 😁

It's never bothered me, but I will say... when I was young and lean I noticed it more. As I've gotten older and have a bit more meat on the bones (let's call it "meat") ...holster carry lays and captures much more securely and don't notice it at all anymore. 😁
Glad you both brought this up.

I run lean and so I was curious about that part of it too... as I've also wondered if IWB carry is more difficult being lean as opposed to "meaty"...

Yes! Of all the pistols I actually have, I have one for my Taurus 605 I got from a great member here. Works beautifully, and I can wrap the tough products speed strip carrier to the speed loader side to better offset the weight. I really enjoyed using it this year.

Seeking one for my 1911 and 5906 now.

Of course shoulder holsters aren't an every day kind of thing for me, but they have their place. For comfort, often trips to the public range as well as winter carry.

I'd assume anyone who is into firearms has a plethora of holster options, I sure do.. a whole box of them. IWB works, but it's nice to have options like: pocket (depending on models)
OWB, AIWB, Shoulder and pack carry.

Either of you have a preference on the shoulder rig belt straps?

One for stability and two I feel like that could be effective in the possible weight offset issue.
I kind of like one on the mag side with one of my rigs. It does help with shifting, but that one a very lightweight "skeletonized" one. Nice in warmer weather. Others I have are more substantial and form fitting around the shoulders that prevent any shifting. My "go to" has belt strap options but they are kind of stiff and actually push things around on my shoulders when you bend side to side more than without.

Holsters and fitment vary and I don't really have a general "with or without" preference. It depends on the rig.

I run lean and so I was curious about that part of it too... as I've also wondered if IWB carry is more difficult being lean as opposed to "meaty"...
I think your best take away is that carry options are very personal and wildly vary. Everything from your typical daily activity to body build to wardrobe preferences play a part.

We joke about boxes of worthless carry options, but it's funny because it's so true. It's all just part of the trial and error process to find what fit's your personal carry characteristics and lifestyle.

From my experience... for every person that says, "this holster is the bee's knee's"... there is another guy that will swear it's one of the most uncomfortable/impractical options they've tried. Such is the nature of the game.

You make your best guess and for each you try you develop a sense and data point of what it is you're ultimately looking for, but be prepared. As your life changes, so will your preferences.

That's not to say though that you can't find an option that is "suitable" year round. Sometimes it's more "ideal" and "comfortable" than at other times, but it's within your tolerance level and may not be worth it to you to spend money chasing the "ideal" carry option for every situation. KWIM?

This is the only current, having never used one before, drawback for me. A shoulder rig would only suit fall and winter carry. Not a deal breaker, but boy do I wish there was a better year round solution.
That's why I often carry in a Fanny pack. Year round it just works. Full sized, compact, sub compact and pocket carry all slip in there. And now that the young kids have popularized the chest slung fanny pack carry, I can wear a Fanny pack across my chest and no one bats an eye. It still looks goofy but it's so common now no one notices.

But shoulder holsters sadly for me are a winter thing. At least my revolver one is. Summer I just won't have enough clothing to hide it figuring I don't wear a jacket or over-shirt.

The FBI don't allow the shoulder holster anymore as most, not all, point the firearm straight back. Which in virtually all situations, points the gun at someone behind you. The shoulder holster also doesn't conceal as well.

Have you tried OWB? I switched to OWB and haven't really looked back.

The FBI don't allow the shoulder holster anymore as most, not all, point the firearm straight back. Which in virtually all situations, points the gun at someone behind you. The shoulder holster also doesn't conceal as well.

Have you tried OWB? I switched to OWB and haven't really looked back.
None of my shoulder rigs are horizontal. They are all vertical and the muzzle is pointed down.

I used to rock a Bianchi X15 during my PSD duty days (body guarding generals and VIPs and such) in the Army. It fit both my issued 1911A1 and 92F (some dudes preferred the SIG 226).

It'll also accommodate my G19's.

IMG_2129.jpeg

Vertical carry is easier to conceal than horizontal (and usually loops onto your belt to keep it from flopping around. Horizontal (generally) requires less fine motor skills and less practice to draw proficiently, and some have down-straps to loop onto your belt (or clip to your pajama pants waistband… LOL), but most "free ball" and will flop up and down while running/jogging.

Both configurations have their place, and I occasionally use shoulder carry (mostly horizontal) during long driving sessions on road trips.

Bellyband carry is just "OK" (especially when wearing a track suit), but I kicked that method to the curb after my G30 popped out of it and clattered onto the ground while getting out of my car one time.

For my .357 revolvers, I prefer to shoulder carry on my hip. :s0108:

IMG_5337.jpeg

That's my 10cents, my 'cuz 2cents are free. ;)

When I started concealed carrying, I used a shoulder holster with a J-Frame Smith. It concealed well, but there were a few reasons I changed to a fanny pack instead. (I did say when I started. I didn't say how long ago that was. ;))
1) Quite often my choice of clothing meant it was a process to get the gun from the holster into my hand.
2) If I didn't wear the straps that attached it to my belt, the thing flopped around like a big boob without a bra. If I did wear the straps, the gun was much more secure, but it felt like they really limited my movement.
3) It required a lot more thought about keeping it concealed than I originally assumed.

When I handgun hunted I used an Uncle Mikes vertical shoulder holster. Uncle Mikes aren't the best, but I couldn't afford a "better" holster. I was carrying a 10.5" Ruger SRM (Super Blackhawk in 357MAX). It took a looooong draw to clear the holster, but it was the very best way available at the time to carry that gun. With that much weight the thing had to be tied down as well to keep it from shifting all over. Being tied to my belt concerned me less when I was out walking around in the woods compared to going about my normal activities.
The funny thing is that the big gun concealed about as well as the little gun when using a shoulder holster.
Glad you both brought this up.

I'm not as thin as I used to be, but I am not a large guy. I've found that an IWB in a forward cant tucks the butt of the gun into the body and is about as easy to conceal as anything. I can go about my day with few concerns of the gun coming out of the holster or showing when wearing an untucked shirt for cover. If I'm going to be more strenuous, I'll switch to an OWB with a thumb break. Being OWB means one of two things. You either need a fairly long tail on your shirt or coat, or you don't care about staying concealed. I carry a Commander sized 1911 these ways and it works very well for me.

That's why I often carry in a Fanny pack. Year round it just works. Full sized, compact, sub compact and pocket carry all slip in there. And now that the young kids have popularized the chest slung fanny pack carry, I can wear a Fanny pack across my chest and no one bats an eye. It still looks goofy but it's so common now no one notices.

But shoulder holsters sadly for me are a winter thing. At least my revolver one is. Summer I just won't have enough clothing to hide it figuring I don't wear a jacket or over-shirt.
No way? Is there really a "Fanny Pack Renaissance" occurring?

Well, I'll be.... Now I've seen it all. 😁

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top