JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Very true. And they wear that nonsense to the gym too.. as well as sandals and crocs. It's idiotic.. but the chest slung fanny pack carry method works very well.
I still often use a fanny pack. I started using one LONG before they started making them for CC. State I was in we could not get a CC law passed. The damn packs were everywhere so no one looked twice at mine. From the time the net started MANY kept saying they scream GUN. I would walk through malls and parks and such and see hundreds of them. Used to wonder how people kept coming up with that line. When I finally figured it out I did get a BIG laugh out of it.
Summer time here when Wife and I are out walking, I love them. Those sling packs work great for this too. Again its an item that you see everywhere so no one gives them a second glance.

I still often use a fanny pack. I started using one LONG before they started making them for CC. State I was in we could not get a CC law passed. The damn packs were everywhere so no one looked twice at mine. From the time the net started MANY kept saying they scream GUN. I would walk through malls and parks and such and see hundreds of them. Used to wonder how people kept coming up with that line. When I finally figured it out I did get a BIG laugh out of it.
Summer time here when Wife and I are out walking, I love them. Those sling packs work great for this too. Again its an item that you see everywhere so no one gives them a second glance.
Slow to get to your weapon. IMHO.

For me it's the opposite.
With the recent adoption of the Fanny pack carry NOW I see them as carry methods (YouTube videos of teens/gangs shooting at each other) but a few years back, shoot.. I never thought twice. Then they really fell out of favor because they weren't "cool" and only older dads or wacky hippies used them.. only to be reintroduced and carried in a different way.. now I guess all the kids do it.

I enjoy that despite them looking uncool, it's one of the most comfortable carry methods that can carry just about any sized pistol.
And as a bigger guy seeing a lot of movies when my friends are in town, IWB just wasn't comfortable. That's what really spurred the fanny pack carry method to begin with for me.

For me it's the opposite.
With the recent adoption of the Fanny pack carry NOW I see them as carry methods (YouTube videos of teens/gangs shooting at each other) but a few years back, shoot.. I never thought twice. Then they really fell out of favor because they weren't "cool" and only older dads or wacky hippies used them.. only to be reintroduced and carried in a different way.. now I guess all the kids do it.
That works for me. I am certainly in the OLDER category so looking cool went by the way side LONG ago :s0140:

That's fair, but I'll take off the body carry over IWB any day for comfort.
It's far more comfortable, Granted it doesn't have the cool factor.
As for pride, yeah I hear ya.. I just avoid my reflection, ignorance is bliss.
I'm pretty much 100 percent against off body carry. I'm sure it's comfortable but it defeats the purpose of why I EDC and the retention that I want if I get in to a hands on altercation.

I'm pretty much 100 percent against off body carry. I'm sure it's comfortable but it defeats the purpose of why I EDC and the retention that I want if I get in to a hands on altercation.
That's fair, but I'll take off the body carry over IWB any day for comfort.
It's far more comfortable, Granted it doesn't have the cool factor.
As for pride, yeah I hear ya.. I just avoid my reflection, ignorance is bliss.
And therein lies the problem...

I think its crazy, that in this day and age, we have to sacrifice comfort or function or something else in terms of daily carry.

There has to be a better way. Or at least in my mind there does... but I'm a simple man so what do I know.

I think its crazy, that in this day and age, we have to sacrifice comfort or function or something else in terms of daily carry.

There has to be a better way. Or at least in my mind there does... but I'm a simple man so what do I know.
My edc is very simple and is as comfortable as I have found in jeans and a t-shirt year round. None of this changing with the seasons.

It's taken time and money but I'm happy with where I have landed and what I carry.

I would be remiss if I failed to mention that IMHO, IWB gives the best tactical advantage as far as getting off the first shots.
Some people will claim that a shoulder rig is just as fast, but I disagree. A shoulder rig telegraphs your intentions to the bad guy, and sometimes involves two hands to draw your weapon.
In addendum, I have to mention these rolls can very well be reversed if you are sitting in your vehicle as opposed to standing up.
It's complicated. :confused:

I would be remiss if I failed to mention that IMHO, IWB gives the best tactical advantage as far as getting off the first shots.
Some people will claim that a shoulder rig is just as fast, but I disagree. A shoulder rig telegraphs your intentions to the bad guy, and sometimes involves two hands to draw your weapon.
In addendum, I have to mention these rolls can very well be reversed if you are sitting in your vehicle as opposed to standing up.
It's complicated. :confused:
I'd argue that appedix carry fixes both the standing and the sitting. Although I know plenty of individuals are not comfortable carrying in that location for whatever reason. Which is fair and I won't knock them for it.

I'd argue that appedix carry fixes both the standing and the sitting. Although I know plenty of individuals are not comfortable carrying in that location for whatever reason. Which is fair and I won't knock them for it.
I agree. I just can't/won't point a gun at my nuts! Or my femoral artery.
Also, I'm fat. That creates a problem for appendix carry. :rolleyes: o_O :eek::confused:

I keep wanting to, but I'm afraid of developing invisible lat syndrome
1710124264395.png

I'm 20+ yrs CCWing. Not a lot compared to some but, like you I've wrestled with that thought off and, on more times, than I care to admit. 🙄

I have a Bianchi X16 for my 1973 PPK/s. They used to be closer to $100, but I just saw one for $170.

I wear a vest 90% of the time, even when it is hot. It conceals very well and is very comfortable.

I do sometimes worry about it pointing the gun backwards, but I always keep that in mind when I am out in public - unless it is PDX.

Let me preface this by saying I have never carried in a shoulder holster. So take my comments for whatever they're worth. But these are possible downsides I've come up with whenever I consider carrying in this manner...
  • The horizontal ones have you muzzling everyone. But "concealed" means concealed so it's not like they're aware of it. But it's not exactly the most "polite" form of carry (the horizontal ones)
  • Trying to keep it concealed. You either have to wear it under a coat or vest of some sort...which means you can't take the coat/vest off or...
  • You have to wear it under a shirt which is going to add time to the draw if you ever need it. Perhaps too much time. Maybe. And if you are going to carry it under a shirt, I would think you would want to opt for a shirt with snaps that can be ripped open quickly vs., actual buttons
And then I think that if I ever really were going to seriously consider a shoulder holster, perhaps a low profile cross chest sling bag (like the one below) might actually be a better option (In a low key color). Sling bags scream "hipster" instead of fanny packs that scream "loser." :D But seriously I don't think fanny packs have come back in fashion enough, thus, when people see one they generally assume, "that dude is carrying a gun." But maybe I'm wrong on that. Maybe they just think you're an old foggie with no fashion sense. :s0092:

Ah, Fanny packs, yup! Back in the day I carried a Taurus 85 in a black leather Targa Fanny pack. That was mid/late 90's and early 2000's. Remember goin to Busch Gardens in Tampa and Disney in Orlando, no problems blended right in. Hawaiian shirt, Jean shorts and Timberland boots…

A fashionista before my time.

:s0140:

Ah, Fanny packs, yup! Back in the day I carried a Taurus 85 in a black leather Targa Fanny pack. That was mid/late 90's and early 2000's. Remember goin to Busch Gardens in Tampa and Disney in Orlando, no problems blended right in. Hawaiian shirt, Jean shorts and Timberland boots…

A fashionista before my time.

:s0140:
1710131841211.png

Maybe they just think you're an old foggie with no fashion sense.
I think this ☝ would tend to be the general consensus...

In regards to your main post... this is where my thoughts have always been as well. Since I never tried it and since I am getting fed-up with IWB, I figured I'd ask here and get some insight from those who know.

After reading through all the current comments (all of which I appreciate), I'm still not sure a shoulder rig is the right option for me.

Since I won't know until I try, I think my next purchase will actually go towards a bellyband style. I think that checks more boxes for me currently.

I'm also going to start looking at over the shoulder style packs as this could be a very viable option, specifically in the summer months.

200.gif

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top