JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For a while I did ankle carry.
Until that fateful day when a German Shepard charged me out of nowhere.
When I bent over to grab my piece, I realized I put my face right into the dog's mouth. :eek:

FltOHw8WIAAoO2D.jpg

For a while I did ankle carry.
Until that fateful day when a German Shepard charged me out of nowhere.
When I bent over to grab my piece, I realized I put my face right into the dog's mouth. :eek:
When the pocket carry for the little lcp didn't work I tried it in an ankle holster. My style and cut of pants I prefer didn't work out. Plus, even though it was a backup, it was just too far away for my liking.

I think this ☝ would tend to be the general consensus...

In regards to your main post... this is where my thoughts have always been as well. Since I never tried it and since I am getting fed-up with IWB, I figured I'd ask here and get some insight from those who know.

After reading through all the current comments (all of which I appreciate), I'm still not sure a shoulder rig is the right option for me.

Since I won't know until I try, I think my next purchase will actually go towards a bellyband style. I think that checks more boxes for me currently.

I'm also going to start looking at over the shoulder style packs as this could be a very viable option, specifically in the summer months.

View attachment 1841241
Have you tried OWB (I'm still reading through this thread so sorry if you answered that already)

Also, if you go the bellyband route, note that one issue that doesn't always get talked about with bellybands is that you really need a hard guard of some sort around the trigger. Throwing a loaded gun into a "soft holster" like a bellyband is a disaster waiting to happen. There are bellybands out there that come with a kydex insert or similar to protect the trigger.

It's tempting... But so far resisting the urge

View attachment 1841228
I've heard from users of the desantis it's pretty uncomfortable. But I've never used one myself. For mp5k there is also an HK shoulder holster and a cheaper knockoff of it. It's not bad but also uncomfortable. Mine will hold most small guns though like brn-180 10.5", mp5, mp5k, Stribog, 300blk 8.5/10.5" if it has a folding adapter like law tactical. All those regular mp5 size or longer though will poke beneath your coat unless you had a shell or sport coat. I prefer one point sling myself for range carry.

Honestly the best option I have used is a simple bungee. It's way more comfortable and way faster to deploy. I set up my mp5k clone similar to this video below and it's very nice. Having said that though I can carry a long slide Glock With b&T usw in my front fleece pocket so it's much simpler and smaller. A sling pack that can be deployed with a single pull I found to be best when going to from/in the vehicle.

Bungee deployment of mp5k video from internet

Deployment of reg size mp5 in 5:11 sling pack (they also come with a single pull to deploy Fanny pack). I can grab the pull with my left hand,swing it around and open and grab gun grip with my right hand in close to the same time as a regular draw. It's really fast. The video doesn't show it done correctly. You can also move the gun on your front, not behind you in a split second and carry that way.

Hook type holster (knock off of hk one).

OWB B&T holster for Glock with USW:

6E12321C-93BC-46C3-BB79-03780601FD5E.jpeg
But really due to it's size it can go in fleece pocket, coat pocket, messenger bag, laptop bag, sling bag, Fanny pack.
2C99A13A-2E2B-46EB-A4E0-FE2C98DA9962.png
3E0040AF-0F30-44BE-82C7-F9F3EA96E24A.png

Last Edited:
I'm not the first and I certainly won't be the last to struggle with finding the right concealed holster.

I think it goes without saying, but I'm gonna say it anyway, that anyone who is not new to concealed carry probably has a drawer or box or something full of holsters that didn't work.

At this point, I'm getting burnt out on trying different IWB solutions that either don't work or work "good enough". That said, I'm looking at other possible concealed solutions.

I've never worn a shoulder holster, so I'm curious to hear from anyone who has used or might still be using one. The usual... pros, cons, etc... Obviously feedback in terms of holsters can be difficult cause no two people are the same, but maybe shoulder rigs are different in that sense...?

Discuss.

EDIT TO ADD: I've also never tried a belly band style, so maybe thoughts on those if you've tried...🤷‍♂️
So I think a lot of this is determined by what you want to carry, then finding the perfect option to do so. First and foremost in my mind is the belt to support the weight of what you want to carry. For me, that's a Bigfoot steel lined gun belt.

Next is the correct holster. Always struggled carrying a combat commander until I finally invested in a Milt Sparks Nexus (iwb), that let me carry that 2.5 lb gun without issue (Bigfoot gun belt of course.

Another challenge was trying to carry a Sig M11-A1, found a Sig kydex holster with a wing allowed me to do so comfortably, iwb, again with the Bigfoot…

In both these instances, those holsters allowed me to carry at 3:00 with just an oversized t-shirt or polo.

As you already know, it's a matter of finding the perfect combination for you. You'll no doubt end up with a box full of mistakes, but that's the price to get to the promised land.

I wish you success on finding your holy grail.

I've heard from users of the desantis it's pretty uncomfortable. But I've never used one myself. For mp5k there is also an HK shoulder holster and a cheaper knockoff of it. It's not bad but also uncomfortable. Mine will hold most small guns though like brn-180 10.5", mp5, mp5k, Stribog, 300blk 8.5/10.5" if it has a folding adapter like law tactical. All those regular mp5 size or longer though will poke beneath your coat unless you had a shell or sport coat. I prefer one point sling myself for range carry.

Honestly the best option I have used is a simple bungee. It's way more comfortable and way faster to deploy. I set up my mp5k clone similar to this video below and it's very nice. Having said that though I can carry a long slide Glock With b&T usw in my front fleece pocket so it's much simpler and smaller. A sling pack that can be deployed with a single pull I found to be best when going to from/in the vehicle. Almost as fast as a regular draw for a big gun.

Bungee deployment of mp5k video from internet

Deployment of reg size mp5 in 5:11 sling pack (they also come with a single pull to deploy Fanny pack).

Hook type holster (knock off of hk one).

I know...big bicycle inner tube with carabineer works good.. skorpian an mac 10 tested. Pretty comfortable too.

Have you tried OWB (I'm still reading through this thread so sorry if you answered that already)

Also, if you go the bellyband route, note that one issue that doesn't always get talked about with bellybands is that you really need a hard guard of some sort around the trigger. Throwing a loaded gun into a "soft holster" like a bellyband is a disaster waiting to happen. There are bellybands out there that come with a kydex insert or similar to protect the trigger.
I have not tried OWB, as I haven't found a way to do that and maintain the same level of concealment as IWB.

An emphatic yes to the bellyband with kydex. Those are the only examples I'm looking at.

So I think a lot of this is determined by what you want to carry, then finding the perfect option to do so. First and foremost in my mind is the belt to support the weight of what you want to carry. For me, that's a Bigfoot steel lined gun belt.

Next is the correct holster. Always struggled carrying a combat commander until I finally invested in a Milt Sparks Nexus (iwb), that let me carry that 2.5 lb gun without issue (Bigfoot gun belt of course.

Another challenge was trying to carry a Sig M11-A1, found a Sig kydex holster with a wing allowed me to do so comfortably, iwb, again with the Bigfoot…

In both these instances, those holsters allowed me to carry at 3:00 with just an oversized t-shirt or polo.

As you already know, it's a matter of finding the perfect combination for you. You'll no doubt end up with a box full of mistakes, but that's the price to get to the promised land.

I wish you success on finding your holy grail.
3-4 inch semi-auto is carried. None of which are heavy options. Haven't found a belt that didn't serve me well in regards to that. The perfect carry option is the rub.

I've spent more in holsters than in the firearms themselves. I know that is a common situation for most.

I've tried carrying at 3 o'clock, but my body structure and clothing preferences made that more uncomfortable than AIWB. 6 o'clock is a pass for me. 11 o'clock cross draw I'm still fiddling with.

My issue comes down to the all day up and down comfort (or rather discomfort) of an AIWB holster.

I've never wanted to buy into alien gear. I know a lot of people who run them and absolutely love them... but boy do they cost...

Anyhow, this one currently has my attention and might be worth a go. Pretty extreme cant for my taste, but I won't know unless I try. Might serve better as a cross draw at that angle...

20240310_222609.jpg

I've never wanted to buy into alien gear. I know a lot of people who run them and absolutely love them... but boy do they cost...

Anyhow, this one currently has my attention and might be worth a go. Pretty extreme cant for my taste, but I won't know unless I try. Might serve better as a cross draw at that angle...

View attachment 1841253
I don't get the hype. I tried alien gear and didn't enjoy the product very much. They were relatively new at the time so only had one or two styles to pick from. Maybe they're better now?

3-4 inch semi-auto is carried. None of which are heavy options. Haven't found a belt that didn't serve me well in regards to that. The perfect carry option is the rub.

I've spent more in holsters than in the firearms themselves. I know that is a common situation for most.

I've tried carrying at 3 o'clock, but my body structure and clothing preferences made that more uncomfortable than AIWB. 6 o'clock is a pass for me. 11 o'clock cross draw I'm still fiddling with.

My issue comes down to the all day up and down comfort (or rather discomfort) of an AIWB holster.
Oh man I could never carry appendix. I tried it once and every time I sat down it was poking me in the gut. Couldn't stand it.

4 o clock hold I guess is what you call it (right hip) but toward the back is the only one I can find mostly comfortable other than pocket carry which is always comfortable. I don't like 3 o clock hold cuz it sticks out and also bumps on things. 4 o clock doesn't do that it's much more hidden.

Got it, that's a tough call for sure. Finding the right combination can indeed be illusive. I did a P365 AIWB for a spell, but honestly found it to be not very comfortable and shifted that back to 3:00 carry, for just the reasons you cite, up/down all day comfort.

For the last couple of years I've found myself carrying a Smith 642 J frame, light, unobtrusive, sits nicely in a leather Cardini holster AIWB, and that's given me that all day comfort. Not recommending that for anyone else, just discussing where I've ended up at this time and what works best for me in the circle I travel.

I also find that the holsters with the least bulk always have worked the best for me.

Oh man I could never carry appendix. I tried it once and every time I sat down it was poking me in the gut. Couldn't stand it.

4 o clock hold I guess is what you call it (right hip) but toward the back is the only one I can find mostly comfortable other than pocket carry which is always comfortable. I don't like 3 o clock hold cuz it sticks out and also bumps on things. 4 o clock doesn't do that it's much more hidden.
Same boat. 8 o'clock for me works just fine. Appendix is plain uncomfortable

4 o'clock isn't bad, but had its own set of issues for me. The main one being every squat or bend reveals more than just a plumbers crack. It also tends to get "pushy" when I'm in the car and I try not to be taking holsters on and off in the car if I can help it. Long trips being the exception...

4 o'clock isn't bad, but had its own set of issues for me. The main one being every squat or bend reveals more than just a plumbers crack. It also tends to get "pushy" when I'm in the car and I try not to be taking holsters on and off in the car if I can help it. Long trips being the exception...
I hear you. I fixed the reveal issue when bending down or whatever by tucking my shirt in on the belt clip at the belt. That way it covers the gun and even the belt clip. I leave it on in the car but for a really long drive or something it can get uncomfortable. Pocket carry don't have to worry about any of that. Brush it off once in a while and literally you forget about it. But I wear jeans so it's easy to do and sounds like that doesn't work for your attire.

Got it, that's a tough call for sure. Finding the right combination can indeed be illusive. I did a P365 AIWB for a spell, but honestly found it to be not very comfortable and shifted that back to 3:00 carry, for just the reasons you cite, up/down all day comfort.

For the last couple of years I've found myself carrying a Smith 642 J frame, light, unobtrusive, sits nicely in a leather Cardini holster AIWB, and that's given me that all day comfort. Not recommending that for anyone else, just discussing where I've ended up at this time and what works best for me in the circle I travel.

I also find that the holsters with the least bulk always have worked the best for me.
Yep... I've "dealt" with AIWB for a long time and the older I get the more I desire my comfort. I've crossed the line where function now wins over fashion as opposed to the younger me which was the opposite.

Currently, I dont rise my firearm carry options changing and so I'm I stay on the hunt for that unicorn holster.

I agree with the less is more holster being better. One of the other reasons I never went with alien gear. That bellyband sure has me intrigued though.

I hear you. I fixed the reveal issue when bending down or whatever by tucking my shirt in on the belt clip at the belt. That way it covers the gun and even the belt clip. I leave it on in the car but for a really long drive or something it can get uncomfortable. Pocket carry don't have to worry about any of that. Brush it off once in a while and literally you forget about it. But I wear jeans so it's easy to do and sounds like that doesn't work for your attire.
I do that too... tucking my shirt in the clip.

Yeah, I dont wear nut crunching tight pants like some of these kids... but I do prefer a more form fitting cut. This has eliminated the pocket carry for me and has added to the IWB issues I'm sure.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top