JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
upload_2017-6-13_16-9-39.png

NOAA reveals 'cloudiness' map for historic 2017 Eclipse | Daily Mail Online

Zillions of blinded California Zombies lurching around and screaming. They had no idea staring at the full sun for minutes would harm them in any way. After all, they are from California. All lurching around unsighted. Screaming in pain. Demanding attention.

Then getting thirsty. Then hungry. Then urgent bladder and bowel needs. All swarming. All intend upon YOU helping them in any and all ways. Horrible! Insane! They are now eyeballing you, (WTF?) and are swarming you. Run! Run! Run! But it is too late!

All demanding liberal help. Screaming. Crying. Tear running down from their ruined liberal brain dead eyeballs. They touch you. AUUUUUGHHHHHH! Just kidding. Only a crazy thought that just now escaped the mares nest of my feeble mind's eye. :) :)
Your Honor, I swear I thought it was the Zombie Apocalypse! :s0003:

I have a feeling that this will be a bonanza for also the tow companies, body shops, EMT's & hospitals, not to mention the hospitality industry which has already raked in the bucks. Me, I will watch it on U Tube.

Let's see here, late august on the coast, hot weather inland?
I'm betting on an inversion socking the coast in with fog and a mass exodus attempting to evacuate the area for clear sky's and not being able to go anywhere,,, any takers?

You have the situation well described. Remember every road in or out is a two lane twisty road or if there are any left an unimproved Forest Service or logging road. Back in the late 69's-early 70's I made it over the mountains on steep, twisty gravel roads in three different areas. Today I don't know if the same logging roads even exist.

I'm officially starting the rumor that there will be a stacking effect of the gravitational pull of the sun and moon on the fault line. An estimated 9.0 earthquake and huge tsunami follow. All bridges and general infrastructure collapses and we are stuck here with a million extra homeless, useless, needy unsheltered neighbors.

Saw a report on the news just yesterday - based on historical data, there is only a 44% chance it will be clear on that day, at that time of day, on the coast. Almost a 50/50 chance of missing it on the coast.

We're just heading south, kind of to the Salem area - I'm taking the day off work so the daughter can experience the whole thing like I did as a kid back in '79 Got some solar shades/glasses for looking directly at the sun (we've tried them already, pretty cool to play with). I'll probably try to get some photos, maybe video at the same time. Considering it will be another 40 years before the next one, might as well make the trip this time.

Funny story (for you folks, not for me). I was looking for a place to stay down in the Salem area a few months back, but everything was booked, and if it wasn't booked, was ridiculously overpriced. So I switched my search to Albany and found what looked like a great place at a reasonable price, so I booked it. It was only after I booked it that my wife noticed I had booked Albany - - New York! Damn! How did I miss that? I guess when I put in Albany, I just assumed Oregon - because I don't live on the fricken' east coast, and when I say Albany, I mean Oregon!! What I booked was a 'non-refundable' reservation, paid in advance. I contacted Expedia, who contacted the hotel and explained what happened, and, thankfully, managed to get my non-refundable reservation 100% refunded. I'm sure they had a good laugh at my expense :oops:

There may be a ball game at Keizer station during the eclipse, last a coworker mentioned it (a few weeks back) tickets were still available.

There may be a ball game at Keizer station during the eclipse, last a coworker mentioned it (a few weeks back) tickets were still available.

That wouldn't be bad, but I expect the traffic around Salem, really anywhere along I-5 south of Portland, will be really, really congested, and I'm planning to avoid that area. I'll likely head south on the back roads of Clackamas County, in an area likely to be less traveled by out of state folks, just to avoid the biggest traffic issues.

That wouldn't be bad, but I expect the traffic around Salem, really anywhere along I-5 south of Portland, will be really, really congested, and I'm planning to avoid that area. I'll likely head south on the back roads of Clackamas County, in an area likely to be less traveled by out of state folks, just to avoid the biggest traffic issues.

Yar. Traffic is expected to be double+ load. One of the reasons we're not making any plans.

Heck it'd be a nice time to go to ARPC & make a day of it-fire up the portable grill etc during the eclipse,... if it weren't for the traffic/coocoo's concern.

Anyone needing a place to view it from - you can camp in my backyard for $499.99 / night for unimproved spot. Rental of charcoal grill is another $99 / hr (byob - bring yer own briquettes) Water from the garden hose is $10.00 / gallon. No shower or sewer. Electricity from extension cord for $200 / hr :D Any takers?

Please send contact information, will send payment of $23,500 in the for of USPS Money Order. Once cashed you will be instructed to send the remainder of the balance to the John Gotte foundation at Attica, NY.;)

I have a buddy with a parking lot in Lyons, which is right on the totality line. I CAN'T WAIT!!!

However, I'm thinking that leaving Gresham around 2am to drive down, using back roads through Silverton, should do us just fine. When do you think traffic will get bad enough to be concerned? Sun-Up around 6am? Earlier? We don't have the resources to stay there overnight, but we definitely want a place with a toilet! VERY important!

After reading this thread, though, I will be sure to pack up the truck like a camping trip with a full SHTF load-out just in case Highway 22 becomes an episode of The Walking Dead!

I have a buddy with a parking lot in Lyons, which is right on the totality line. I CAN'T WAIT!!!

However, I'm thinking that leaving Gresham around 2am to drive down, using back roads through Silverton, should do us just fine. When do you think traffic will get bad enough to be concerned? Sun-Up around 6am? Earlier? We don't have the resources to stay there overnight, but we definitely want a place with a toilet! VERY important!

After reading this thread, though, I will be sure to pack up the truck like a camping trip with a full SHTF load-out just in case Highway 22 becomes an episode of The Walking Dead!

I would plan on the walking dead and hope for a lot better.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews