JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Planning on leaving Thursday night or Friday around noon to camp and on Monday I'll watch it on a boat on Detroit Lake and hangout on the lake until the crazies clear off. Hopefully I'll head back to Salem 1-2 am otherwise I'll wait until the roads clear.

Thursday might do ya better than Friday. Everyone who's not off for the summer will try getting fridays off to head off somewheres.

Thursday might do ya better than Friday. Everyone who's not off for the summer will try getting fridays off to head off somewheres.
Yep, I'm one of those people. I'm thinking I'll be heading home Tuesday rather then Monday night because it seems pretty unlikely that there won't be an accident Monday night. I'm up at Detroit this weekend and I'm having to figure where to put three extra people because an accident shut down the road.

We have friends with a 10,000 acre ranch in Fossil we're watching it from. Only going to be about 40 seconds of totality but we'll be the only ones there and it's free! Don't know if it's worth a few hours of driving for an additional minute. Not to mention it'll be a great excuse to try out the new ar308 on some coyotes.

Planning on leaving Thursday night or Friday around noon to camp and on Monday I'll watch it on a boat on Detroit Lake and hangout on the lake until the crazies clear off. Hopefully I'll head back to Salem 1-2 am otherwise I'll wait until the roads clear.
Where did you get a campsite? You must have planned early!! Great idea to take out your boat. What an awesome blessing for an event like this!

Don't know if it's worth a few hours of driving for an additional minute. Not to mention it'll be a great excuse to try out the new ar308 on some coyotes.
You are totally right that 40 seconds is good, especially when it's free and on your own land. When the sun starts to go away, all of nature will begin to act like it is sun-down, so you may actually see a 'yote or two during the totality!!

Great idea about the boat. Always liked to watch the 4th of July fireworks in Portland, Vancouver & Lincoln City in years past from a boat. Although the Columbia & Willamette River's traffic craziness sometimes equals or even exceeds the land based version. The last time I went I left the piloting to the captain of one of the tour boats, sit back and relax and enjoy the show.

Yep, I'm one of those people. I'm thinking I'll be heading home Tuesday rather then Monday night because it seems pretty unlikely that there won't be an accident Monday night. I'm up at Detroit this weekend and I'm having to figure where to put three extra people because an accident shut down the road.

There were 2 accidents that caused traffic problems for over 12 hours this week end. And this is just the early vacation season. Wait until the eclipse time, yo have the normal hoards of people there, add the eclipse freaks, and you are going to see traffic volumes that are unbelievable on 20 and 22. All it takes is one bad accident, and they WILL happen and you will have a grid lock like you cannot believe.

I travel that road 2 times a month to Central Oregon. From October to April is is really petty decent excepting the snow. May to September it is a joke. The heavy traffic volume combined with 40% of the drivers are CFI's makes it a tense trip. I always take the F 350 4X4, I want heavy metal around me,and Metallica on the stereo.

Saw more than 40 seconds of darkness when St Helens blew for the first time, over an hour and I didn't have to drive anywhere. Just sat back on my front porch and watched the streetlights come on. To me much more memorable than an eclipse, at least in my opinion. I think there were less volcanic eruptions in the continental US in the last couple of hundred years than eclipses.

Like I said just like burning man;)

I believe that Burning Man is fairly well choreographed. Yeah, some of the people blow in with the dust and tumble weeds, and are "Wasteoids" but I've got a good doctor friend that goes, three times now I think, and it's a LOT more than a bunch of stoners/druggies sleeping in the dirt in the desert. The preparations that many people go through, are required to go through, are pretty neat. One of the things the doctor and his buddies did was make an evaporator that uses a small 12 volt pump, kiddie pool and umbrella You can't dump grey water on the ground, so he built the gizmo to evaporate the water and leave nothing but the solids which they bag up and take with them.

The videos he takes and the bike that shoots fire he built are really neat. It's not for me, no way! This thing going to take place in the Oregon desert has a potential to be a real mess though!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top