JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm guessing a lot of folk doing lots of dumb thing they may not do but with this little 2 minute excuse.
I'll see it from here if I remember to grab my welding helmet and sun glasses

And they remember it?o_O

Oh you sound like an old fuddy-duddy! Chill out pops. :D I remember dang near every minute the day two buddies and I ate some peyote early one morning when we were dry camped on the banks of the Madison River in Montana in 1974. We proceeded to drive all over Yellowstone that day and view all the wondrous sights. Laughing 'till our faces hurt, and warming stones by the fire to put in the bottoms of our sleeping bags that night.

And they remember it?o_O

They did it as a life experience! The preperation that goes into this event is absolutely amazing. With the heat and dust there isn't as much drinking and drugs as one would think. It's not like there is a hospital around the corner to save your azz if you do something stupid. There are medics on site but most of the people that go to this thing are pretty smart and have prepared for the conditions that they will be enduring.

You guys are freaking me out, 1.25 million?

I think that might be a bit much, but even a quarter of that will impact not only that area but all areas of the state. This is really a hard number to quantify and predict. All I know that in the general path of totality in the Madras Jefferson County areas, there are 29,000 residents. The local infrastructures are set up to handle that and the normal summer hordes that pass through. Farther east towards the Mitchell John Day areas, there is basically no amount of infrastructure to deal with any number of people.

Now increase that number by any level of percentage points for a period of 4 or more days and you are going to have problems with food supply, water distribution, fuel distribution, cell service, law enforcement, fire and ems...what have I left out ??

I get a lot of information from local resources over there, and they are encouraging ALL residents to have sufficient food and fuel for 4 to 6 days. They are anticipating cell outages. Local fire departments that normally run 3 to 4 paid staff per shift are planning on running 12 per shift. All police are working, no vacations allowed. Water and sewer people are staffing up for 24/ 7 coverages.

In our property area, there are estimated 5,000 people. The local HOA is saying that will double during that time frame.

It will be very interesting.

but most of the people that go to this thing are pretty smart and have prepared for the conditions that they will be enduring.

Well then the comparisons to Burning Man are meaningless. Since the people coming to Central Oregon will be from the Portland /Seattle / Eugene/ other areas are dumber than a pile of dog sh*t, and will likely come with nothing more than a cell phone, debit card, and coffee cup things are going to hell right away.

Well then the comparisons to Burning Man are meaningless. Since the people coming to Central Oregon will be from the Portland /Seattle / Eugene/ other areas are dumber than a pile of dog sh*t, and will likely come with nothing more than a cell phone, debit card, and coffee cup things are going to hell right away.

That, and the good thing: likely 30% of them will leave home an hour before the eclipse to get to there desired spot which would be 2 hrs away on any normal day...:rolleyes:

Oh you sound like an old fuddy-duddy! Chill out pops. :D I remember dang near every minute the day two buddies and I ate some peyote early one morning when we were dry camped on the banks of the Madison River in Montana in 1974.

I viewed the 78 eclipse from the top of a 120 foot fertilizer elevator in Hillsboro. We hit some Hawaiian bud up there about 20 minutes before the eclipse started. It was pretty interesting seeing the birds lose it and head to roost in mid morning. One of the dudes had brewed some mushroom tea and he was really having an almost religious experience. I passed on that. The climb back down was pretty interesting though.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top