JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a buddy with a parking lot in Lyons, which is right on the totality line. I CAN'T WAIT!!!

However, I'm thinking that leaving Gresham around 2am to drive down, using back roads through Silverton, should do us just fine. When do you think traffic will get bad enough to be concerned? Sun-Up around 6am? Earlier? We don't have the resources to stay there overnight, but we definitely want a place with a toilet! VERY important!

After reading this thread, though, I will be sure to pack up the truck like a camping trip with a full SHTF load-out just in case Highway 22 becomes an episode of The Walking Dead!

You mean tonight? Good plan - ahead of the crowds.

There I fixed it for you:
"I'm thinking that leaving Gresham."

I work in a Psych ward. I am worried about the number of folks who will come for the eclipse, get stoned on various and sundry chemicals and wind up in my unit. I predict mayhem in the ED and psych wards.

I work in a Psych ward. I am worried about the number of folks who will come for the eclipse, get stoned on various and sundry chemicals and wind up in my unit. I predict mayhem in the ED and psych wards.
Only because that is a really good point...
I'm also concerned about the patients at long term facilities who will be triggered by this event.
I have family who work in a psych unit, luckily they mostly work the swing shift.

Only because that is a really good point...
I'm also concerned about the patients at long term facilities who will be triggered by this event.
I have family who work in a psych unit, luckily they mostly work the swing shift.
I work swing shift... switching to days next week.

If only half of the possible problems mentioned in this thread come to be it's really going to be a major disappointment in what mankind has come to be. A completely natural, well explained occurrence, resulting in trauma and catastrophe, mayhem, loss of life and limb? Sheesh.....Say it ain't so!

People enjoy being afraid. It's why horror movies are so popular.
So when a scenario comes along where people can predict bad things happening
people will pile on in predicting outlandish bad things happening. It's fun......:D
As for my plans, I am staying home and watching it on tv.
Warm home, soft couch, good food, lovely wife and I will see it in much better detail.
It will also be a whole lot less expensive.
Maybe Michio Kaku or Neil DeGrasse Tyson will narrate it for me.

... I am worried about the number of folks who will come for the eclipse, get stoned on various and sundry chemicals and wind up in my unit. I predict mayhem in the ED and psych wards.

THIS!

Staffs blacked out for time off requests that entire time. The weekend before thru the weekend after I believe. A whole pile of steamy joy going on over it.

If it's really bad & they call for all available, I'd surely like to help if possible. If I can get there, don't levitate (much) though...;)

I was just looking around on line and I see a story saying they expect a half million people to show up in the Idaho Falls area to view the eclipse (one of the reasons stated is its some of the best potential weather anywhere along the path.)

With that in mind my plan might not work so well. Where I planned to go is well away from there but there are only three real roads that go north/south for several hundred miles east/west. No matter how remote or away from the folks I will be everyone will still have to leave by the same two lane roads.

Well hell....

I was just looking around on line and I see a story saying they expect a half million people to show up in the Idaho Falls area to view the eclipse (one of the reasons stated is its some of the best potential weather anywhere along the path.)

With that in mind my plan might not work so well. Where I planned to go is well away from there but there are only three real roads that go north/south for several hundred miles east/west. No matter how remote or away from the folks I will be everyone will still have to leave by the same two lane roads.

Well hell....

Might be a good time to visit friends or relatives in Canada if you have any. I know if if I lived where you do I would go visit my sister in Sask that week.

Well hell....
Did you hear that IF passed a ordinance limiting how many folks you can have camp on your property? They must be getting ready for tons of folks coming in.
I guess we'll get 98-99% totality. Good enough for me

No, @mjbskwim, we are getting 100% totality. What you've read is that we are not receiving the longest time block of totality possible. The spot in the country with the longest totality is in Kentucky. And they are over 2 minutes of totality, but I don't feel like checking the number of seconds. In Oregon, the center of the totality zone will be getting 2 minutes and about 8 seconds, depending on how close to the center line you get to make your observation. We just happen to be getting 100% totality for a few seconds less.

I don't understand the people who would want to leave the area to get away from the hordes. In general I like to stay away from huge public events since they potentially attract violent crazies. A total eclipse is not that type of event. I am betting that a shared experience of such glory and awesomeness might actually inspire acts of kindness and patience and mercy during the dispersion of people back home. A man can hope...

My big plans are to work. Get off work. Cook dinner. Try to get my old dog to pee. Eat my dinner. Try to get my old dog to pee. Lay down on, make some grumpy old man sounds. Brush my teeth, shower, go to bed, wake up, get my old dog to poop and pee, go shower, go to work.

Planning on leaving Thursday night or Friday around noon to camp and on Monday I'll watch it on a boat on Detroit Lake and hangout on the lake until the crazies clear off. Hopefully I'll head back to Salem 1-2 am otherwise I'll wait until the roads clear.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top