JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Saw a report on the news just yesterday - based on historical data, there is only a 44% chance it will be clear on that day, at that time of day, on the coast. Almost a 50/50 chance of missing it on the coast.

We're just heading south, kind of to the Salem area - I'm taking the day off work so the daughter can experience the whole thing like I did as a kid back in '79 Got some solar shades/glasses for looking directly at the sun (we've tried them already, pretty cool to play with). I'll probably try to get some photos, maybe video at the same time. Considering it will be another 40 years before the next one, might as well make the trip this time.

Funny story (for you folks, not for me). I was looking for a place to stay down in the Salem area a few months back, but everything was booked, and if it wasn't booked, was ridiculously overpriced. So I switched my search to Albany and found what looked like a great place at a reasonable price, so I booked it. It was only after I booked it that my wife noticed I had booked Albany - - New York! Damn! How did I miss that? I guess when I put in Albany, I just assumed Oregon - because I don't live on the fricken' east coast, and when I say Albany, I mean Oregon!! What I booked was a 'non-refundable' reservation, paid in advance. I contacted Expedia, who contacted the hotel and explained what happened, and, thankfully, managed to get my non-refundable reservation 100% refunded. I'm sure they had a good laugh at my expense :oops:
Oh they didn't laugh,they went to the map to see where Oregon was,then Albany.
But we'll laugh at you if you like:D

Gawd....Who on earth makes reservations for anything regarding hotels in Albany, Oregon?

New York! Damn! How did I miss that? I guess when I put in Albany, I just assumed Oregon - because I don't live on the fricken' east coast, and when I say Albany, I mean Oregon!! What I booked was a 'non-refundable' reservation, paid in advance. I contacted Expedia, who contacted the hotel and explained what happened, and, thankfully, managed to get my non-refundable reservation 100% refunded. I'm sure they had a good laugh at my expense :oops:

If they didn't, I sure did!

You can go on this site, type in your ZIP code and see what the eclipse will look like by dragging the time bar.

Eclipse Megamovie

Wow....Who needs to be in the totality path? According to that ^ there's very little difference up here in PDX. And just think, every one will be leaving Portland to go South! It'll be a beautiful day in the neighborhoods!

Wow....Who needs to be in the totality path? According to that ^ there's very little difference up here in PDX. And just think, every one will be leaving Portland to go South! It'll be a beautiful day in the neighborhoods!

To those with an interest in astronomy, something I studied years ago, an hour drive is worth getting the full effect. Being further north may not allow you to see a true 100% totality, and for many, that will be fine. I'll be going only about an hour south, but staying on back roads, away from places like I-5 and downtown Salem, etc.

To those with an interest in astronomy, something I studied years ago, an hour drive is worth getting the full effect. Being further north may not allow you to see a true 100% totality, and for many, that will be fine. I'll be going only about an hour south, but staying on back roads, away from places like I-5 and downtown Salem, etc.

And armed for such incidentals in case need arises. God willing it stays where you put it when you get up that morning.

Well, if it was the second coming of Jesus, and he was coming to Albany (OR.:p) I'd still wait for him to get around to Portland to avoid the crowds.

But if people want to go through the extra effort to get in the middle that's fine with me. Hope it works out great for you Erik!

You guys just wait, Salem will be overrun with hippies with money looking to set up shop in a weed legal area. Soon enough they'll move out of Portland and down to you! HAVE FUN!

End stank
Oh yeah, the pot shops will be raking in the bucks in the run-up to this fiasco.

Great, all the more reason to stay home.
Stoned nutballs gazing into their spirit crystals may be funny at first, but get old fast.

And on top of all that, it seems the Children of the Rainbow will be visiting Oregon again this year, in the weeks preceding this event:

52b68eccd0ebe672ca5b9c6712dad57c.jpg

You may need to click on that image to read what the sheriff's office has to say.
And it ain't good.

Zillions of blinded California Zombies lurching around and screaming. They had no idea staring at the full sun for minutes would harm them in any way. After all, they are from California. All lurching around unsighted. Screaming in pain. Demanding attention.

Then getting thirsty. Then hungry. Then urgent bladder and bowel needs. All swarming. All intend upon YOU helping them in any and all ways. Horrible! Insane! They are now eyeballing you, (WTF?) and are swarming you. Run! Run! Run! But it is too late!

All demanding liberal help. Screaming. Crying. Tear running down from their ruined liberal brain dead eyeballs. They touch you. AUUUUUGHHHHHH! Just kidding. Only a crazy thought that just now escaped the mares nest of my feeble mind's eye. :) :)

Zillions of blinded California Zombies lurching around and screaming. They had no idea staring at the full sun for minutes would harm them in any way. After all, they are from California. All lurching around unsighted. Screaming in pain. Demanding attention.

Then getting thirsty. Then hungry. Then urgent bladder and bowel needs. All swarming. All intend upon YOU helping them in any and all ways. Horrible! Insane! They are now eyeballing you, (WTF?) and are swarming you. Run! Run! Run! But it is too late!

All demanding liberal help. Screaming. Crying. Tear running down from their ruined liberal brain dead eyeballs. They touch you. AUUUUUGHHHHHH! Just kidding. Only a crazy thought that just now escaped the mares nest of my feeble mind's eye. :) :)
Excellent interpretation of Sheriff Wheeler's letter.

DUDE! You're scarin' the crap outta me!! :eek: :eek:

On the other hand....you make the city sound perfectly safe during that time.:D

DUDE! You're scarin' the crap outta me!! :eek: :eek:

On the other hand....you make the city sound perfectly safe during that time.:D

Funny, I was thinking the description in that letter mimics a lot of folks I encounter on a regular basis in downtown PDX. Nothing to see here, just SOP :rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top