JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I get some inside information from emergency services and public utility providers in Central Oregon. We will be at our property in Central Oregon just to make sure nobody tries camping there and set the place in fire.

Police are bringing in officers from around the state. With over 250,000 people expected in the Central Oregon area, especially Madras area you can expect a complete overwhelming of services. Jefferson County only has 28,000 residents, so how the hell do you think they can provide fuel for all those vehicles ?? The county is saying they are allowing the "free market" to determine how that will be handled.

With that many people you can expect a lot of "campfires" to be set and get away and torch the area. Hospitals are stocking up on 50 times the anit venoms for rattlesnake bites. ODF, BLM and USFS re all trying to figure out how to handle this.

If you want to check out your SHTF preps, I would say this is a good as time as any.
Good a time as any to have/get a CHL. LoL
I guess I'll bring my waders and such incase a nuke goes off.

Just think of all the tourists who will be buying weed and drinking. Idk if you've ever done both together, but it's a whole new level of stupid. I assume there will be a lot of both. Should be illegal to sell pot to tourists, like it is in Amsterdam.
"California license? Sorry, I would lose my business."
Friggin' dummies

I'll second holidays, I try to work those weekends. It's like getting paid double to avoid crowded recreation sites.

I'mma stay home and outta the woods, to avoid the crazies. Besides, it passes right over the top of my house.

I may go out the following weekend and see if there's any cleaning up that needs to be done.

Anyone needing a place to view it from - you can camp in my backyard for $499.99 / night for unimproved spot. Rental of charcoal grill is another $99 / hr (byob - bring yer own briquettes) Water from the garden hose is $10.00 / gallon. No shower or sewer. Electricity from extension cord for $200 / hr :D Any takers?

Anyone needing a place to view it from - you can camp in my backyard for $499.99 / night for unimproved spot. Rental of charcoal grill is another $99 / hr (byob - bring yer own briquettes) Water from the garden hose is $10.00 / gallon. No shower or sewer. Electricity from extension cord for $200 / hr :D Any takers?
I can hear the "Earth is our Mother" crowd accusing you of profiteering off a natural event already.

Therefore, you have my full support in this endeavor. :D

ETA:As a matter of fact, if I lived in your neighborhood I would be offering Prius-ONLY and Subaru-ONLY parking for all attendees of your soiree, for a mere $200/day per car.

just curious, it's a Monday (Aug 21st). The center of the path of totality is about 2 hours north of me and I am trying to figure out a good spot to view it.

Probably be pretty good just where I'm at but it's so close I figured might as well plan to make the drive to get the best show.

Being on the I5 corridor.... I'm staying home and avoiding the crowds and trafffic.

It's close enough that I'm ok not traveling to the complete dead spot.

I get a 25% cut for not reporting you for not having a license. Tack on another 7-11% lodging tax... lol

Back in about 1978 or 79 at the last total eclipse in Washington State a friend booked a room for about $50 bucks. A lot of money back then. Then the motel did call him telling him the price was now $100 bucks. Take it or leave it. Then $200. I imagine one could just give the motel guys all your money and you MIGHT buy yourself a room. Might not.

Yep. Like said in the movie ..."I have a bad feeling about this!" If one had an inside contact and private location way on top of some mesa or mountain, then watching the eclipse in private would be neat. Not cool to just up and drive North expecting to find a spot along some big highway to stop and watch. Just "wing" the trip? Not going to happen? Like said, complete chaos?

Again, this might be nothing to do with nothing. Or ... again this is just my hunch, things could get very scary very quickly. Fires. Eye injuries. No fuel. No water. No food. Zillions of non prepared idiots? Riots. Pillaging. Man at his worsererist. Killings. Rampage. Death. Destruction. Would NOT be a good time for that big earthquake and tsunami.

Or ... all very cool kind neat and groovy. :)

I was checking a favorite spot outside of Stanley Idaho at a marvelous lake resort about 2 months ago. They had 2 cabins left, for something around $1900 for 3 nights. Typical rooms there would be around $250 for that time frame.

The only plans I have involve selling my house, cars and firearms and donning a hooded robe and awaiting it on a mountain-top in Colorado. I have it on good source that the Rapture will be occurring at Totality as Jesus returns to take us away! After that, homies, look out for the :eek:auntie-Christ to appear. Like I said, I heard it on the internet. Signs and Wonders In The Skies!

You guys just wait, Salem will be overrun with hippies with money looking to set up shop in a weed legal area. Soon enough they'll move out of Portland and down to you! HAVE FUN!

End stank

You know it's pretty common on the Oregon coast to have morning fog. Lot's of people that paid hundreds of dollars for rooms might be a little disappointed.

I'm heading to a friends property in the John Day area, I expect to stay there a few days.

I'm going to get near the coast and watch it. The last time this happened I was like 3 or 4 years old. I'm gonna get a front row seat while I'm still above ground!

Saw a report on the news just yesterday - based on historical data, there is only a 44% chance it will be clear on that day, at that time of day, on the coast. Almost a 50/50 chance of missing it on the coast.

We're just heading south, kind of to the Salem area - I'm taking the day off work so the daughter can experience the whole thing like I did as a kid back in '79 Got some solar shades/glasses for looking directly at the sun (we've tried them already, pretty cool to play with). I'll probably try to get some photos, maybe video at the same time. Considering it will be another 40 years before the next one, might as well make the trip this time.

Funny story (for you folks, not for me). I was looking for a place to stay down in the Salem area a few months back, but everything was booked, and if it wasn't booked, was ridiculously overpriced. So I switched my search to Albany and found what looked like a great place at a reasonable price, so I booked it. It was only after I booked it that my wife noticed I had booked Albany - - New York! Damn! How did I miss that? I guess when I put in Albany, I just assumed Oregon - because I don't live on the fricken' east coast, and when I say Albany, I mean Oregon!! What I booked was a 'non-refundable' reservation, paid in advance. I contacted Expedia, who contacted the hotel and explained what happened, and, thankfully, managed to get my non-refundable reservation 100% refunded. I'm sure they had a good laugh at my expense :oops:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top