JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
just curious, it's a Monday (Aug 21st). The center of the path of totality is about 2 hours north of me and I am trying to figure out a good spot to view it.

Probably be pretty good just where I'm at but it's so close I figured might as well plan to make the drive to get the best show.

Leave early. Try to pick a very hard to get to spot. Then expect to be overwhelmed with zillions of idiot wanna be eclipse viewers. Expect disaster level situations trying to leave after the fact. Imagine anything and everything that can happen. Oregon's highway system will be totally overwhelmed. Consider staying at site for days. Consider stupid out of gas out of water out of brains LA CA dummies by the thousands. Stuck. No money. No food. Probably guns. Consider lots of permanent eye injuries. Yikes!

Or ... perhaps nothing bad will happen at all. Pick your own poison. :)

We are still communicating with friends up north in Oregon from us.

Leave early. Try to pick a very hard to get to spot. Then expect to be overwhelmed with zillions of idiot wanna be eclipse viewers. Expect disaster level situations trying to leave after the fact. Imagine anything and everything that can happen. Oregon's highway system will be totally overwhelmed. Consider staying at site for days. Consider stupid out of gas out of water out of brains LA CA dummies by the thousands. Stuck. No money. No food. Probably guns. Consider lots of permanent eye injuries. Yikes!

Or ... perhaps nothing bad will happen at all. Pick your own poison. :)

We are still communicating with friends up north in Oregon from us.

Camas where I would go has a population of 1100..... the entire county. I would be really surprised if I see a handful and they will be Idaho folk who don't worry me

Ten am or so? Twenty first of August, 2017? About 2 minutes or so of totality? On a personal note we traveled North for the Washington State solar eclipse on around 1978 or 79 or so. One hundred percent cloud cover. Bummer. Never saw the suns disk.

@IronMonster ,you may be surprised at how many will be there.
I was listening to a couple of girls (60ish) talking about how everything is booked and RV spots are $100s a night.
There will be sun seekers from everywhere along the path.
I'm probably 4 hours north and can't imagine going to see it. Even if it will be a burning man type event with naky but young girls everywhere :eek:

Most of them will be at the Oregon coast and I anticipate that the numbers will drop off where there are less accommodations and/or the more primitive the spot is.

Personally, I will either work from home that day or step outside the office for a few minutes. My house is pretty close to the northern edge of totality, but the 90% line extends quite a bit northwards.

we traveled across 2 states to get to Horse Heaven in WA for the one 40 years ago....found desolate abandoned old homestead couple hours before totality & got set up for all the various stages of That Event.

If we had not spent a little time researching the nuances would have missed the subtle portions....my favorites : momentary happening ("beaded pearl necklace" IIRC) where the final rough edge of the moon covers the last 1% of the sun; you can see the valleys/ridges instead of a straight line; the 'diamond ring' effect; the most breathtaking IMHO was being able to actually see the rush of the moon shadow on the earth surface approaching a hundreds mph to your position as final moments before totality hit. Do read up on these as they are very powerful. As is the sudden quiet, the rapidly dropping temp, and the bursting out of 'the FIRMAMENT' which of course is always there, just not visable.

Now have reservations at a buddies private spot for This Event.
The first 75% really isn't all that big a deal as I've seen many solar eclipses go that far.
It's the last 10% or so that really gobsmacked me. Try to have loved ones near to share the event.

And yes, protect your eyes.

Last Edited:
You know it's pretty common on the Oregon coast to have morning fog. Lot's of people that paid hundreds of dollars for rooms might be a little disappointed.

I'm heading to a friends property in the John Day area, I expect to stay there a few days.

I'm going to get near the coast and watch it. The last time this happened I was like 3 or 4 years old. I'm gonna get a front row seat while I'm still above ground!

When I first heard about this I was excited and thought it would be a great time to visit the folks on Terrebonne OR and have a free place to stay.

Then the news hit about how much of a shet show it would be with people coming from all over the US and world. And now I'm going to just see it from my place in Vancouver.
That will be good enough for me. Still want to get a few pairs of glasses to watch it for my family and I

I'll probably be in the area around condon, tho I'm not sure where exactly, nor would I publicly admit exactly where until after the fact. I can tell ya that I kind of want to be standing in a river, but I'm not sure if I should find a high place. Honestly, I expect it to be a total wreck on the coast with a lot of disappointed tourists saying dumb things about Oregon that upset me. I expect happy tourists out east that also say things about Oregon that really upset me. Frankly, anything somebody who isn't from around here talking about around here really upsets me. Probably worse is that tourists talking about almost anything upsets me. lol

Did I mention I hate crowds?

:s0113:

Even if it will be a burning man type event with naky but young girls everywhere :eek:

Hmm....Hadn't though about that? Hmmm.

I hope I'm out working that day. Mostly quiet neighborhoods, anyone at home coming out and standing in the street. Should be cool to see, especially if some them young girls are getting "Naky"! :eek:

Where I plan to go there is not a town bigger than 500 people in a 100 mile radius.
Expect populations to double. They may even run out of gas and water near you, as somebody suggested.

If I had a jet boat I would navigate up Hell's Canyon. I doubt tourists could make it up there. From what I hear, they still get mail by boat.

I get some inside information from emergency services and public utility providers in Central Oregon. We will be at our property in Central Oregon just to make sure nobody tries camping there and set the place in fire.

Police are bringing in officers from around the state. With over 250,000 people expected in the Central Oregon area, especially Madras area you can expect a complete overwhelming of services. Jefferson County only has 28,000 residents, so how the hell do you think they can provide fuel for all those vehicles ?? The county is saying they are allowing the "free market" to determine how that will be handled.

With that many people you can expect a lot of "campfires" to be set and get away and torch the area. Hospitals are stocking up on 50 times the anit venoms for rattlesnake bites. ODF, BLM and USFS re all trying to figure out how to handle this.

If you want to check out your SHTF preps, I would say this is a good as time as any.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top