JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I cant tolerate a firearm that is not capable of stacking ten rounds into a group where all holes touch each other Or wont group under 1" or less at a hundred. l like repetitive and repeatable precision.
Uniformity of bore Dia. from chamber to crown.
And cannot tolerate hard rough trigger pull. I like 2 stage and light crisp 2.0 to 2.5 # press off.

Ohhhh, Kayy! I guess by definition your gun collection is rather modest (Certainly as compared to your collection of bore-measuring devices).

I will admit my criteria for trigger pull is slightly more discriminating than yours, but certainly more practically achievable than your criteria for accuracy and bore measurement.

Ohhhh, Kayy! I guess by definition your gun collection is rather modest (Certainly as compared to your collection of bore-measuring devices).

I will admit my criteria for trigger pull is slightly more discriminating than yours, but certainly more practically achievable than your criteria for accuracy and bore measurement.

Skeptics... :-/

Measurements:
Bore gauges, Dial indicators in .0001, blade mics, std mics, Granite plates, gauge blocks,
simple dial and digital calipers, Height gauges............... the list is endless, and if you don't like that how about optical comparators. Colet spin fixtures.... Moore Jig Bore there are dozens of ways to measure.
Tight spots in bores can even be felt when using graduated laps. Where is your ingenuity ?

Have you never lapped a bore or used sulfur castings ?
Making plugs can get you in trouble if you make them too large and dont use a mold release.
Also chamber castings can cause you grief if you pour too much and get it into the lug cuts.
I have done about 8 or 9 of them.
I have also made dies to match chambers that way.
Sulfur melts at low temperature has no shrinkage when set and accurate measurements can be made.
I was a toolmaker / model maker for 35 yrs, so there is very little I could not measure one way or another. Also most stock rifle bores have tight spots that need fixing. Match barrels should already have that done. I like my triggers that weight except for bench rest rifles, the I like about 3/4 #.
that answer your question ok, hopefully.

Woods metal can also be used for bore castings. Again too large and you will have a hard time getting it out to use.
It does not hold dimensions as well as sulfur though.

Pouring lead in the bore on a small shaft as a short plug is also used as a lap.

Lapping is only done to remove any tight spots. Final lapping takes place when firing many rounds.
There are many things that can ruin a barrel, so I would not recommend it until you learn on less than favorite firearms.
As for dies. The most accurate rounds for the rifle are those that have been reloaded from cases that were once fired in that rifle and same batch consistency, with measurements and weighing each case and neck sizing only. it just gets more detailed as you proceed to the finished round. Absolute consistency round to round is the goal and there many steps to get there.
Bullet weight consistency, concentricity, each one spun and measured, same batch numbers again, Brass wall thickness, and on and on and on. Primers, powder, all same batch. If you change one component batch number, you work the load up from scratch again.
My first rifle that I lapped was a stock ruger M77 in 243. I still remember the serial number. #2425.
I fired a 10 shot 100 yd group that under magnification measured .568 with Hornady 75 gr JHP's
I wish I would never have sold it.

An additional note. I use my guns, and anything less than a 2# pull for a sporting arm, I consider to be slightly dangerous, especially when One of my kids or grandkids are carrying them.
The lighter pulls in the target category can be as light as you can feel comfortable with.
I do like set triggers also for the right rifle. I had one with a 2# set release and a 3 oz final. Just don't sneeze.
Any further questions?

I am sure many have done these things and have a great deal more knowledge than I do.
I just do my own thing :)
.Sorry... a bit E.C. on that one subject.

I won't say I hate any particular gun but I do have preferences. I like the M-14 over the M-16, because of my cheek weld M-16's go "Boing" when I shoot them, real guns shouldn't go "boing". I like wood over plastic in any gun, and blued steel over stainless. That being said I hunt with a Browning A bolt, stainless and plastic stocked while my Ruger #1 is more for show and tell.

You are correct the list is not exactly accurate but the point still stands clear. Everyone law abiding owning and being trained is a major deterrent to anyone wanting trouble.

Are you talking about the pit at Memaloose? Haven't seen microwaves there in a couple of years. I've been helping clean it for several years and might look at setting up a cleanup next year.

I have not been to the pit for a while as up the mountain my shooting buddy and I have a favorite spot with a 30 foot dirt cliff backdrop. Perfect spot and safer than any other spot we have found as far as making sure we do not shoot off into the woods when some kids might be drinking or partying out there. I have recently thrown tires, microwaves, fridge doors, and tons of cans and bottles in the back of my truck that people left there. Also have to wear my big boots now because a few folks have had lots of fun blowing up glass items.

I have not been to the pit for a while as up the mountain my shooting buddy and I have a favorite spot with a 30 foot dirt cliff backdrop. Perfect spot and safer than any other spot we have found as far as making sure we do not shoot off into the woods when some kids might be drinking or partying out there. I have recently thrown tires, microwaves, fridge doors, and tons of cans and bottles in the back of my truck that people left there. Also have to wear my big boots now because a few folks have had lots of fun blowing up glass items.

:s0155: for your cleanup.
Too many dont .

OOOOOH! Dem's Fahtin' Werds!

To each his own. I have a prejudice against Glocks, although every one I've ever shot has impressed me to no end. I just can't understand why they could make such an accurate and reliable gun, and not make it look like two 2x2's nailed together. I thought the 1911 had a corner on the market of "blocky" appearance. It is a streamlined '49 Hudson compared to a Glock.

As to "cowboy style", it should be noted that the Thompson submachinegun was widely marketed in the West as the perfect "Cowboy Gun", with pictorial advertisements showing a Cowpoke, his horse, and his trusty "typewriter". (Full auto of course, prior to the beginning of all the legal nonsense we deal with today.)
Cowboys had some 1911s as well IMO it is a personal preference. I don't care is different than hate!!!!

"Mint in Box" anything.
Sure it's worth more, but what do you do with it, except take it out of the safe and show it off every once in awhile.

I figure they are pretty much useless until a few hundred rds are used to prove them to be reliable.
That is worth more than "mint in the box".

Anything Taurus. I wanna like em because they always feel and fit perfect. But they're complete garbage when it comes to actually shooting
What models? Were they early model Taurus semi autos.. Because then I can understand.
Otherwise, all mine have preformed fantastically.

The two things that drive me nuts is the safety locks they put in the firearm and the fact that they wont ship out "restricted" or better known as "fitted" parts.
A member here sold me a stainless PT1911 but forgot to mention he lost the firing pin safety plunger and spring.. I tried to contact him to perhaps set things right or even get those parts back if he located them.. But to no avail. I tried ordering the two silly parts that I could happily fit myself and they said: "No". So it'll cost me $50 for two tiny pieces of metal that normally would cost under $5 even with shipping. Thats my biggest taurus gripe.

I greatly dislike vertical grips on semi auto rifles because half the shooters don't really know what the hell they're doing. Especially when the VG is incredibly close to the magwell.

Saw grips on ARs or AKs.
Plastic magazines (with the exception of circle 10s)
Slide safeties on pistols.
Laser/light combos (china tactical crap)
Pistols or rifles with expensive or hard to come by magazines.

Magpul acronyms!

I also dislike quad rails on AKs that require you to bolt down using yet another chunk of metal that wraps over the gas tube impeding your ability to remove the gas tube without first unscrewing those tiny little bits (that WILL strip over time) in order to thoroughly disassemble your rifle and clean your gas tube. But then again.. I bet those said folks don't take pride in their firearm maintenance. It is an AK after all.

Magazine Safeties ! :s0154:

As much as I dislike the 1911, that was a big thing it had going for it, other than BIG bullets, no magazine safety.
I don't have magazine safeties on any of my semi-autos.

Jack...:cool:

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR