JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
They said it was canceled and didn't know why. It wasn't denied. There's no reason for it to be denied. I'm a CHL holder, no criminal history and have purchased 2 guns before with instant approvals.
If I had to guess... OSP may have sent an additional info or clarification request to SW... something they omitted/mispelled/etc on the original application... and SW failed to respond. OSP only keeps those pendings open for a specific period of time before closing out an incomplete application.

So thanks for all the comments and advice. I do have a concealed handgun license by the way and no crim hx. I went back to Sportsmans Warehouse today to see if I could find out more. They confirmed the OSP background check I did in February was canceled for a reason they couldn't figure out. I told the younger guy at the gun counter that I had ordered and purchased my guns and wanted a refund. He proceeded to argue with me that I hadn't purchased the guns, that they gave me a voucher which was absolutely incorrect. It wasn't the first time, SW had told me I hadn't purchased the guns when my bank account and SW online receipt said different. They were both condescending and rude. I had enough. I asked for the manager, showed him my proof and asked for an immediate refund so I could go elsewhere. Good news. I went to Keith's Sporting Goods in Gresham, did another background check, and because they have a 3 day release policy, my new Sig Sauer P365XL with a Holosun green dot will be ready for pick up Wednesday. I will never buy another firearm at SW again. Lesson learned.
I'm glad for you. I too had a poor experience at SW in Washington. First time I found out some retail stores do not release firearms (semi pistols, rifles) without a response from local law enforcement…. Regardless of state laws. Took my money right around corner to Federal Way discount guns…… had my 365 in 10 business days….2019

I still want to shop there, they have a lot of what I'm interested in and actually have good sales sometimes. I guess it all adds up…… loosing one customer at a time and it's effective….. I want my middle finger to be strong. I want my grudges to be legendary… but a few times I've folded.

Now I guess my rule is: I won't purchase anything that isn't available in hand when I leave the store that day. Unless it's the best deal in town, or unless it's the only stock in town. Still I shop begrudgingly. I'm sorry!

I bet the founders of the store didn't imagine how liability, politics and idiot retail workers would compromise/ruin customer service these days…..

They said it was canceled and didn't know why. It wasn't denied. There's no reason for it to be denied. I'm a CHL holder, no criminal history and have purchased 2 guns before with instant approvals.
If you're going to purchase a firearm, do it as soon as possible this morning, and ask them to call it in. When SB348-3 passes as written, the 72 hour hold and standard capacity magazine ban will take effect as soon as the governor signs it. Some stores willl make a determination whether or not a magazine <10 rounds can be readily convertible to >10 rounds. Some won't hand over any magazines that come with the firearm.

Bubblegum (Place your favorite curse word here) Sportsmans Warehouse. Cabela's/Bass will be next. Glad you got your $$ back.
If you're going to purchase a firearm, do it as soon as possible this morning, and ask them to call it in. When SB348-3 passes as written, the 72 hour hold and standard capacity magazine ban will take effect as soon as the governor signs it. Some stores willl make a determination whether or not a magazine <10 rounds can be readily convertible to >10 rounds. Some won't hand over any magazines that come with the firearm.
has 348 been voted out of W&M yet?

Sportsmans is so scared to do anything gun related these days for unknown reasons that they create idiot methods to sell guns. They are declining heavily as a business and it is clearly visible visiting their stores.
A girl I know used to work at SW and told me they were overwhelmed with a variety of lawsuits and may be one of the reasons the merger between SW and the Great Outdoors Group was cancelled.

Bubblegum (Place your favorite curse word here) Sportsmans Warehouse. Cabela's/Bass will be next. Glad you got your $$ back.

has 348 been voted out of W&M yet?
I don't see it listed as being assigned, nor is it on the calendar for ways and means for pubic safety: https://olis.oregonlegislature.gov/liz/2023R1/Committees/JWMPS/AssignedMeasures
However, this late in the session, it's not unusual for meetings to be scheduled with an hours notice.

Another point, in Oregon, there can be no amendments or changes on the floor. They must go back to comittee and that is extremely rare.

If you've got something to say, do it sooner than later. It's actually possible for this to have a vote on Monday morning and be signed by the governor Monday afternoon. LEVO and MDA would receive advanced notice so they could be at the signing, but he general public will be blindsided.

I'll have a sample letter up on the SB348 thread soon. https://www.northwestfirearms.com/t...asure-114-3-34-23.445116/page-18#post-3556714

My FFL had this happen twice while he was out of town on vacation. Both CHL holders, no reason for the cancellations, no explanations ever given. I forget what he said the resolution was, but he was able to call and get some kind of action/response.

A girl I know used to work at SW and told me they were overwhelmed with a variety of lawsuits and may be one of the reasons the merger between SW and the Great Outdoors Group was cancelled.
I'm starting to think the merger might have helped them. They are struggling these days.

Regarding gun laws, California, Oregon, and Washington are in a pact to follow suit Word for Word.
In one sense, that's not a terrible thing. If a law is defeated in one state it provides a blueprint and precedent to kill it in the other two. Or at the least... 3 attempts to defeat it to see which is the more effective points of challenge.

In one sense, that's not a terrible thing. If a law is defeated in one state it provides a blueprint and precedent to kill it in the other two. Or at the least... 3 attempts to defeat it to see which is the more effective points of challenge.
It's just so infuriating. They have no concern for the added division this creates.

I did my OHP check at Sportsmans Warehouse 2/9 and have been checking every week or 2 since then to see where I am. I already own 2 handguns and have my CHL. Last week, SW told me April 9th. Today I talked to them and guess what,? They told me according to the system 2 days ago, OHP canceled my request. No reason, just canceled. They gave me a phone number to call to complain to Oregon State Police. I've been waiting 2 months for my new pistol and now this. I called and got a recording and also emailed. Now I guess I wait. I'm beyond livid.

Hello All,

Thank you in advance to those who help with any information and advice or action leading to recovery of my firearms at this trying time. There is a bobcat after my house cats and I can't protect them from predators.

I have been hard for cash at times and used my firearms collection for collateral in pawn shop loans. I borrowed money this way when I moved in 2020 and when I went to get my firearms out that fall, my background check was paused as waiting for info and it's been stuck there ever since. I tried everything but nothing worked and I didn't get to go hunting that year, or the next or the next and I pay about $350 a month on these gun loans. It causes sadness because I can't go hunting or target practice with my guns, I can't build the bullets for them either because I have no way to test my rounds.

No mention of ever protecting myself or a loved on against a physical threat, now I've got a huge bobcat 100 yards from my house and I have 3 cats that aren't supposed to be able to come in the house. Now I'm not able to protect them from a current threat and that is an actual extreme injustice and it's against my rights as a law abiding, tax paying citizen of my court, state, and country. So what the heck?

Just a little about me.. I've never done anything bad. I've no restraining orders or investigations or record. Nothing, not even parking or speeding tickets. I'm a 47 year old pharmacist who likes to fish and hunt. Being a pharmacist, I go through a complete state background check every license renewal, at this point, that is a comprehensive background check every two years. I have a valid legal concealed carry permit that I just renewed and updated address. I have not only an Oregon permit but a valid concealed carry permit for Utah as well, allowing me to concealed carry reciprocation in every state of our nation.

Now I can't even protect my animals. These are my own guns, I already own them.

Please, please, someone help me.

Thank you,
Micah Walter
Pharm.D., R.Ph.

Now I'm not able to protect them from a current threat and that is an actual extreme injustice and it's against my rights as a law abiding, tax paying citizen of my court, state, and country. So what the heck?
I'll apologize for sounding critical in advance but I do NOT see any 'injustice' here.

Did you NOT choose to hock your guns for the money you needed?

Also - why is it only an 'injustice' now, or the inability to ' protect myself or a loved on against a physical threat' when you can't retrieve them? - I mean, was this ever a consideration when the guns were IN hock and you weren't ready to get them out? Did you ever consider maybe hanging on to one while the others were in hock?

I see a lot of other issues here but I'll suspend any further psychoanalysis.

For those dealing with long delays and FFLs who won't release without a "determination": ask them why box 27d is on form 4473..."No response was provided within 3 business days."
"Check the dang box and gimme my gun!"

4473 box27d.PNG

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews