JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I did my OHP check at Sportsmans Warehouse 2/9 and have been checking every week or 2 since then to see where I am. I already own 2 handguns and have my CHL. Last week, SW told me April 9th. Today I talked to them and guess what,? They told me according to the system 2 days ago, OHP canceled my request. No reason, just canceled. They gave me a phone number to call to complain to Oregon State Police. I've been waiting 2 months for my new pistol and now this. I called and got a recording and also emailed. Now I guess I wait. I'm beyond livid.

I did my OHP check at Sportsmans Warehouse 2/9 and have been checking every week or 2 since then to see where I am. I already own 2 handguns and have my CHL. Last week, SW told me April 9th. Today I talked to them and guess what,? They told me according to the system 2 days ago, OHP canceled my request. No reason, just canceled. They gave me a phone number to call to complain to Oregon State Police. I've been waiting 2 months for my new pistol and now this. I called and got a recording and also emailed. Now I guess I wait. I'm beyond livid.
I would avoid purchases from big box stores right now and find an FFL who is doing three day releases.

Sportsmans Warehouse is all I needed to hear.
Sportmans told me I would have to wait I told them to give me the computer five minutes later was at the register paying for the rifle lol. The firearm counter was 15-20 people deep when approved I felt like saying this lol
1680740681743.png

Don't shop at these stores. Sorry to say, but they don't deserve our business anymore. Find a local FFL, build a relationship with businesses that have interest within your community.

Do you know places in Portland/Gresham area where they are doing the 3 day wait?
Tigard Pawn has been stellar during the post-115/pre sb 348 (and other Oregon mischief) They have honored the 72-hr release for me 3 times. 2 with a person to person transfer and one with a direct ship. if you just plan on ordering a gun from a local dealer, try JB , NW Armory or Oregon Rifleworks. They are all GTG. CAVEAT: I have a CHL (which no longer seems to be worth a bubblegumming thing). Not sure if my experiences would apply for non-chl holders.
CAVEAT 2: with the looming implementation of our worst nightmares, be quick, else be dumped into another bottomless que

Last Edited:
So thanks for all the comments and advice. I do have a concealed handgun license by the way and no crim hx. I went back to Sportsmans Warehouse today to see if I could find out more. They confirmed the OSP background check I did in February was canceled for a reason they couldn't figure out. I told the younger guy at the gun counter that I had ordered and purchased my guns and wanted a refund. He proceeded to argue with me that I hadn't purchased the guns, that they gave me a voucher which was absolutely incorrect. It wasn't the first time, SW had told me I hadn't purchased the guns when my bank account and SW online receipt said different. They were both condescending and rude. I had enough. I asked for the manager, showed him my proof and asked for an immediate refund so I could go elsewhere. Good news. I went to Keith's Sporting Goods in Gresham, did another background check, and because they have a 3 day release policy, my new Sig Sauer P365XL with a Holosun green dot will be ready for pick up Wednesday. I will never buy another firearm at SW again. Lesson learned.

So thanks for all the comments and advice. I do have a concealed handgun license by the way and no crim hx. I went back to Sportsmans Warehouse today to see if I could find out more. They confirmed the OSP background check I did in February was canceled for a reason they couldn't figure out. I told the younger guy at the gun counter that I had ordered and purchased my guns and wanted a refund. He proceeded to argue with me that I hadn't purchased the guns, that they gave me a voucher which was absolutely incorrect. It wasn't the first time, SW had told me I hadn't purchased the guns when my bank account and SW online receipt said different. They were both condescending and rude. I had enough. I asked for the manager, showed him my proof and asked for an immediate refund so I could go elsewhere. Good news. I went to Keith's Sporting Goods in Gresham, did another background check, and because they have a 3 day release policy, my new Sig Sauer P365XL with a Holosun green dot will be ready for pick up Wednesday. I will never buy another firearm at SW again. Lesson learned.
That's why I said Sportsmans Warehouse was all I needed to hear.

Yes, you did not buy the actual firearm. You bought a gift card in the amount of the total. Sportsmans is so scared to do anything gun related these days for unknown reasons that they create idiot methods to sell guns. They are declining heavily as a business and it is clearly visible visiting their stores. I say this out of shame as I once worked for them and it never used to be this way.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sportsmans canceled and or never even submitted your 4473.

That's why I said Sportsmans Warehouse was all I needed to hear.

Yes, you did not buy the actual firearm. You bought a gift card in the amount of the total. Sportsmans is so scared to do anything gun related these days for unknown reasons that they create idiot methods to sell guns. They are declining heavily as a business and it is clearly visible visiting their stores. I say this out of shame as I once worked for them and it never used to be this way.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sportsmans canceled and or never even submitted your 4473.
My money sure went somewhere but yes, no guns were actually purchased. You'd think Sportsmans Warehouse would want the business as there are plenty of other gun dealers out there, especially in the Portland area. I should have known and moving forward Keith's will be my go to. Can't wait to pick up my new Sig next week. Go my eye on a couple others already for near future.

My money sure went somewhere but yes, no guns were actually purchased. You'd think Sportsmans Warehouse would want the business as there are plenty of other gun dealers out there, especially in the Portland area. I should have known and moving forward Keith's will be my go to. Can't wait to pick up my new Sig next week. Go my eye on a couple others already for near future.
They have much more to lose by not complying.

A small FFL loss is one or 2-4 families of middle class or lower economy. The owner has much more freedom to chose his path. If his values are the second amendment, he will sacrifice his financial freedom to ensure that of others rights.

SW is run by investors, they practice caution before freedom on the basis that they get to keep making $$$. The manager has zero say on anything, the division manager can't even make decisions. It's all about risk and the bottom line. These people do not care about your rights or even selling guns, they only care about how much money they can make. They know that guns and their hunting department pulls the weight for their stores and won't do anything to stop that $$$ from coming in. So with that said, those that are willing to jump through their hoops to buy at a slightly lower cost as they buy 100s-1000s of guns at a time, will have to jump through their hoops. Then when they have to raise prices because they aren't selling the numbers they need, they will restructure over and over till they run the business out of business and or try to survive without firearm sales, think Dicks and or Fred Meyers.

I try to support my LGS whenever possible ... bought my Ruger Wrangler and my Mossberg 500 there ... but honestly, their attitude and customer service is often off putting, like 'whatever'. Anyway, Sportsmans had a pretty good sale going and I went for a Ruger EC9s. I finished the "paperwork" late on a Thursday afternoon and just got the call this afternoon to come pick it up. Ten business days as quoted. I'll be there tomorrow morning @ 0900.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top