JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Right. And they're only referring to the CHL, which is nothing more than a license to carry concealed - it has nothing to do with purchasing a gun, strange as that may sound. It may seem that the feds are contradicting themselves considering that supreme court ruling and the ATF's requirements. And they probably are. But really, who want to try and fight the feds on this? They have far more resources than any of us combined. If they want to get you, they can certainly do it.
I'm in full agreement with you, if I wanted to smoke pot I wouldn't carry concealed. That's just a choice I would always make. I don't think demanding both is necessarily wise or warranted

As far as I know, and I don't claim it to be much... The process of obtaining a CHL is more scrutinized than form 4473 but I don't really know.
Always figured obtaining a CHL was far more difficult than passing a 4473

I'm in full agreement with you, if I wanted to smoke pot I wouldn't carry concealed. That's just a choice I would always make. I don't think demanding both is necessarily wise or warranted

Considering the government has a hard time making sense of a lot of things, it's not surprising that this issue, among many others, is both very complicated and very confusing. That's why I like the Libertarian ideal of fewer laws and regulations. Simplify.

I actually would like to be able to use CBC/THC extract in capsule form as a sleep aid. I wouldn't smoke pot. I have no interest in being even the slightest bit buzzed. I dont drink or do any drugs to get loaded. I have taken the capsules in the past. They are cheap, work really well and have no ill effects that I could detect. They did and only did what I wanted them to do which was give me a great nights sleep. I took them for a few months and then got paranoid that I would be the one SOB in the history of the world that somehow would get challenged about consuming a cannabis product and owning a firearm. Even though in the dose and form I took them there are no mind altering effects. I made the decision that I value my firearms rights more than I value a good nights sleep (I have historically not slept well. What I took before and take now is prescription Ambien which is expensive and has some negative side effects but does not make me a criminal)

Its really irritating to me that a cheap, effective alternative is available but I cant use it and instead I have to use a problematic, expensive drug that I am sure is far worse for me. And that the alternative is completely legal on the state level.

Im just too square to be a rule breaker I guess.

Last Edited:
As far as I know, and I don't claim it to be much... The process of obtaining a CHL is more scrutinized than form 4473 but I don't really know.
Always figured obtaining a CHL was far more difficult than passing a 4473

Just remember the CHL is issued by the state, and the form 4473 isn't involved. The real sticking point here is the form - it is the problem, and only comes up when you buy a gun, not when you apply for the CHL.

Considering the government has a hard time making sense of a lot of things, it's not surprising that this issue, among many others, is both very complicated and very confusing. That's why I like the Libertarian ideal of fewer laws and regulations. Simplify.
That's really number one reason I like the passage of this law. It stands in line with my libertarian beliefs that the government should govern our personal lives as little as possible

Question 11e
Form 4473

"Are you an unlawfull user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?"
If you're an alcoholic you're "addicted" to a "controlled substance" also, do you drink? Is it any different than marihuana?

The difference is that alcohol is not a controlled substance, and legal under federal regulations. Regardless of anyone's opinion or state law, marijuana is a controlled substance and not legal under federal law. That is the difference.

I actually would like to be able to use CBC/THC extract in capsule form as a sleep aid. I wouldn't smoke it. I have no interest in being even the slightest bit buzzed. I dont drink or do any drugs to get loaded. I have taken the capsules in the past. They are cheap, work really well and have no ill effects that I could detect. They did and only did what I wanted them to do which was give me a great nights sleep. I took them for a few months and then got paranoid that I would be the one SOB in the history of the world that somehow would get challenged about consuming a cannabis product and owning a firearm. Even though in the dose and form I took them there are no mind altering effects. I made the decision that I value my firearms rights more than I value a good nights sleep (I have historically not slept well. What I took before and take now is prescription Ambien which is expensive and has some negative side effects but does not make me a criminal)

Its really irritating to me that a cheap, effective alternative is available but I cant use it and instead I have to use a problematic, expensive drug that I am sure is far worse for me. And that that alternative is completely legal on the state level.

I just read about a group of growers that are developing a type of cannabis that is so reduced in THC as to leave almost no effects, but is high in the beneficial substance that helps patients with various issues. I'd love to see something like that in an extract form made readily available to people that really need it - with no backlash for using it. Considering how powerful some of our prescription drugs are, it would likely be a better choice for many folks.

I actually would like to be able to use CBC/THC extract in capsule form as a sleep aid. I wouldn't smoke pot. I have no interest in being even the slightest bit buzzed. I dont drink or do any drugs to get loaded. I have taken the capsules in the past. They are cheap, work really well and have no ill effects that I could detect. They did and only did what I wanted them to do which was give me a great nights sleep. I took them for a few months and then got paranoid that I would be the one SOB in the history of the world that somehow would get challenged about consuming a cannabis product and owning a firearm. Even though in the dose and form I took them there are no mind altering effects. I made the decision that I value my firearms rights more than I value a good nights sleep (I have historically not slept well. What I took before and take now is prescription Ambien which is expensive and has some negative side effects but does not make me a criminal)

Its really irritating to me that a cheap, effective alternative is available but I cant use it and instead I have to use a problematic, expensive drug that I am sure is far worse for me. And that that alternative is completely legal on the state level.

That's one of the more ludicrous things in American law, they'd rather you be on some highly addictive opiate or a sleep aid which could cause sleepwalking than a simple herbal med which has shown to have very few if any harmful side effects and basically no physically addictive properties

The difference is that alcohol is not a controlled substance, and legal under federal regulations. Regardless of anyone's opinion or state law, marijuana is a controlled substance and not legal under federal law. That is the difference.
Absolutely correct whether or not we agree

Went to Red Robin to pick up some burgers for the family the other night. The waiting area reeked of marijuana. I already cant wait for the signs that say "no Smoking, and if you toked before you came here, take a shower you dirty hippy you smell like you have been porking a skunk."

Where's "here?"

I was a little surprised at prices in Portland. It was $40/8th street illicit price when I was a kid, and it's $45 for "good bubblegum" in the dispensaries now. Granted, that's still less, factoring for inflation, but I would have figured legal/tax free cannabis would be significantly cheaper than street weed.

I see Eugene is the place to be for deals, though.

The 4473s specifically ask..if you using illegal drugs or something in that nature. If it was legalized nationwide and federally, that's a different story, otherwise, why aren't those with the mmc cards allowed to get a ccw? Wasn't that a court case years ago in oregon?

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads