JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Well the news just announced they have arrested some guy driving a Prious in Portland for Killing a lady with it. Witnesses said he was smoking pot right before the crash and told cops he was High when they arrested him. My guess is many will die from this law. Many more than by any firearms.
Also betting that a good percentage of them will also be anti gun people. IRONIC

I am sure the body count will go up especially in the liberal-anti cesspools of Oregon.
I apologies I didnt mean to Offend cesspools.;)

I wouldn't sell a gun across state lines without an FFL. I wouldn't sell a gun within state lines without an FFL. But if I smoked weed, I'd have absolutely no problem doing so and buying/enjoying my guns all I wanted. Prosecuting someone for transferring across state lines would be pretty open-and-shut. Prosecuting someone who purchased a firearm on a 4473 would likely be impossible (barring a confession, WOULD be impossible).

How do you define "illegal user of?" Maybe I smoked weed as a kid. Does that make me "a user?" What if I smoked weed in my 20s? What if I smoked weed yesterday, but I quit? I quit... that definitely makes me a former user, but not a "user." I can most def check "no" on that one. So what if I decide to take it up again tomorrow?

And "addicted to" we can throw out right from the outset. There's some evidence some select individuals who smoke heavily, chronically, can develop a mild physical dependence of a severity somewhere between chocolate and coffee addiction.... not gonna get the jury to even look at that one. No recreational cannabis user is going to self-identify as "addicted"

And lastly.... it's legal. In Oregon. Where we're talking about. Where's the mens rea, the criminal intent? It specifies "illegal user" in the 4473, implying there ARE, in fact, LEGAL uses. No? Does the wording of the federal law leave no room for the legalization of states? Does it implicitly prohibit legalization within individual states? I'm aware the current interpretation is that it's federally illegal, but I haven't studied the law, nor has my lawyer. The federal government isn't enforcing the law, by executive command as well as the inherent difficulties in getting prosecutions from a jury of peers over something that's LEGAL in the place it's being prosecuted.... so we have no test cases. Despite the probably tens of thousands of cannabis-smoking gun-buyers in our wonderfully liberal state.

There's so many holes in this crap I'm not even close to convinced it even is illegal, in any way, to purchase a gun from an FFL whilst pinching a smoldering joint between your teeth. "Illegal user of? Hmm, no... I'm an Oregon-legal user of!"

Nobody is "forgetting" it's (possibly) unconstitutionally federally illegal - they just aren't caring. Nobody is, except you guys.
Agree

Question 11e
Form 4473

"Are you an unlawfull user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?"
If you're an alcoholic you're "addicted" to a "controlled substance" also, do you drink? Is it any different than marihuana?

Under federal law it is still illegal and that is a federal form.

I wouldn't sell a gun across state lines without an FFL. I wouldn't sell a gun within state lines without an FFL. But if I smoked weed, I'd have absolutely no problem doing so and buying/enjoying my guns all I wanted. Prosecuting someone for transferring across state lines would be pretty open-and-shut. Prosecuting someone who purchased a firearm on a 4473 would likely be impossible (barring a confession, WOULD be impossible).

How do you define "illegal user of?" Maybe I smoked weed as a kid. Does that make me "a user?" What if I smoked weed in my 20s? What if I smoked weed yesterday, but I quit? I quit... that definitely makes me a former user, but not a "user." I can most def check "no" on that one. So what if I decide to take it up again tomorrow?

And "addicted to" we can throw out right from the outset. There's some evidence some select individuals who smoke heavily, chronically, can develop a mild physical dependence of a severity somewhere between chocolate and coffee addiction.... not gonna get the jury to even look at that one. No recreational cannabis user is going to self-identify as "addicted"

And lastly.... it's legal. In Oregon. Where we're talking about. Where's the mens rea, the criminal intent? It specifies "illegal user" in the 4473, implying there ARE, in fact, LEGAL uses. No? Does the wording of the federal law leave no room for the legalization of states? Does it implicitly prohibit legalization within individual states? I'm aware the current interpretation is that it's federally illegal, but I haven't studied the law, nor has my lawyer. The federal government isn't enforcing the law, by executive command as well as the inherent difficulties in getting prosecutions from a jury of peers over something that's LEGAL in the place it's being prosecuted.... so we have no test cases. Despite the probably tens of thousands of cannabis-smoking gun-buyers in our wonderfully liberal state.

There's so many holes in this crap I'm not even close to convinced it even is illegal, in any way, to purchase a gun from an FFL whilst pinching a smoldering joint between your teeth. "Illegal user of? Hmm, no... I'm an Oregon-legal user of!"

Nobody is "forgetting" it's (possibly) unconstitutionally federally illegal - they just aren't caring. Nobody is, except you guys.
Really well said

What about the hospital visits from kids overdosing on edibles?
They're having a panic attack, it's of no danger to them physically, they could eat pounds of it
It's a psychedelic hallucinogenic plant and some people freak out or get paranoid and clinically it's a panic attack
No one has ever died or even injured themselves from cannabis edibles it's not a "toxic substance" to humans it's not "poisonous" such as morphine or even codeine or cocaine even which are toxic in small enough doses that people frequently die from them
Cannabis is not like that, it's as benign, in human neurotoxicity terms, as parsley

Last Edited:
I actually would like to be able to use CBC/THC extract in capsule form as a sleep aid. I wouldn't smoke pot. I have no interest in being even the slightest bit buzzed. I dont drink or do any drugs to get loaded. I have taken the capsules in the past. They are cheap, work really well and have no ill effects that I could detect. They did and only did what I wanted them to do which was give me a great nights sleep. I took them for a few months and then got paranoid that I would be the one SOB in the history of the world that somehow would get challenged about consuming a cannabis product and owning a firearm. Even though in the dose and form I took them there are no mind altering effects. I made the decision that I value my firearms rights more than I value a good nights sleep (I have historically not slept well. What I took before and take now is prescription Ambien which is expensive and has some negative side effects but does not make me a criminal)

Its really irritating to me that a cheap, effective alternative is available but I cant use it and instead I have to use a problematic, expensive drug that I am sure is far worse for me. And that the alternative is completely legal on the state level.

Im just too square to be a rule breaker I guess.

Melatonin works for me most of the time.;)

They're having a panic attack, it's of no danger to them physically, they could eat pounds of it
It's a psychedelic hallucinogenic plant and some people freak out or get paranoid and clinically it's a panic attack
No one has ever died or even injured themselves from cannabis edibles
Yeah I'm sure it's real healthy for the kids.
No long term effects or mental issues.

Yeah I'm sure it's real healthy for the kids.
No long term effects or mental issues.
Yes it can have long term mental health implications but you asked about emergency rooms filled with kids which is just inaccurate. It's a problem like I said before psychologically, But the emergency room can't help that
- edible cannabis doesn't cause liver damage or any other "long term Physical damage"- meaning it doesn't negatively affect any of our organs. Canabis in any dose can't cause respiratory failure or seizures or any type of serious physical injury
Psychologically it can cause issues, I've seen people become very paranoid from marijuana but most had underlying mental health issues in which the marijuana precipitated symptoms

Last Edited:
I'm not saying it's doesn't have it's uses. Medically I think it's better than the mental drugs we are giving our kids now, and it's much better for ADD and ADHD than other drugs.
For patients battling cancer it can help save them, or patients with cronic pain, but having it just socially acceptable it's just going to bring our society lower.

I can't tell you how pissed I get seeing someone light up in a parking lot or driving down the road.

Ritalin and adderall are both amphetamine salts and very toxic to the liver and kidneys and heart and causes higher blood pressure and can cause abnormal heartbeats, up to and including cardiac arrests

Were there a bunch of road deaths from Pot drivers before it was legal?

Cause I will bet you that it now being legal won't increase the number of users 10% Cause no one gave a rats A that it was illegal before.

There's been a 300% increase in traffic deaths according to several states (some where it's not legal) in the last decade.
Some say because it's becoming more socially exceptable.
So it's not just in the legal states, However, as it becomes more exceptable and legal there will be a wider spread problem with people doing it outside of private settings and at parties, festivals, and people won't be as afraid to smoke and drive. In my opinion.
The casual smoker or the people that were afraid to do it before will do it more often. It's inevitable that the numbers will increase

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top