JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Let the backtracking begin. Glad to see you have seen the light.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444179169.014667.jpg

Ok I fully agree with you on the potential dangers of drugs and alcohol
I feel that marijuana is much less harmful than alcohol or even nicotine and certainly much less than other drugs, and I think some people honestly use marihuana medicinally and aren't abusing it
And I am not a pothead FYI, I might have been one shortly after high school well over 15 years ago, in the '90s.. But that's quite distant history
If you have a loved one who has or is fighting an addiction issue I empathize fully

Justify all you like.

Pot destroys opportunities and lives. Drugs are drugs.

But thanks for so clearly outlining the denial portion of addiction. I spoke of earlier.;)

Hey khalsa. what kind of security did you observe in the Dope Shop?
I know it's a cash business for now.
Anyone packing heat?

BTW if the wife wouldn't give me grief about it, I'd buy a small amount just once for the wow factor of doing it open and legally.
Also I'm constantly lecturing the kids against getting involved in it so I don't want to be a bad example.

Besides, sneaking around to buy and then smoke it was half the fun of Pot. They've kind of took all the mystique out of it.

Hey khalsa. what kind of security did you observe in the Dope Shop?
I know it's a cash business for now.
Anyone packing heat?

BTW if the wife wouldn't give me grief about it, I'd buy a small amount just once for the wow factor of doing it open and legally.
Also I'm constantly lecturing the kids against getting involved in it so I don't want to be a bad example.

Besides, sneaking around to buy and then smoke it was half the fun of Pot. They've kind of took all the mystique out of it.
I was really shocked that they had no visible security... I might have been the only person packing... Maybe they're all concealed carriers? Or maybe they have security only at night or when its busiest..
I went there for the same reason, it's a hallmark of our century to see the prohibition of a plant become repealed by popular vote and I even took several pictures to commemorate the event ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444180295.554383.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444180306.235785.jpg

I love reading arguments between people who really don't know what they are talking about.

The question on form 4473 says "ADDICTED TO" then how is smoking pot any different then drinking a beer?

Just because you drink beer doesn't make you an alcoholic and just because you smoke pot doesn't make you ADDICTED to POT.

You should READ the form 4473 before you comment - here is the exact text of question 11e:

"Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana, or any depressant, stimulant or narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?"

You are correct that using alcohol or marijuana doesn't make you addicted, but the form explicitly states "user of" in addition to "addicted to" - that means that simply being a user is enough to qualify.

Marijuana is still considered illegal by the feds, so yeah, it's still illegal with respect to form 4473. If the feds change it, it won't be an issue, but for now, it is. Are they going to go hunting people down to see if they use pot? Maybe, maybe not. But if they need a reason to go after you, perhaps what they'll do, if you were grabbed for something else, then find out you own a gun, then find out you lied on your 4473 - now they can charge you with a felony offense.

As for alcohol, it pays to know how the government works. You may try to get around it by playing loose with the terms, but they don't. The ATF (on their website) refers you to Title 21 of the United States Code Controlled Substances Act, Section 802, Subchapter I, Part A, Section 802 - Definitions. In that area, they specifically exclude distilled spirits, wine, malt liquor and tobacco from the definition of controlled substances. They further go on to clarify that 'depressant' are those that are regulated as depressants. So even though alcohol may technically have a depressant effect, the Feds don't apply that classification when used in regard to the 4473.

Again, it's just information so folks can make an informed decision. I've learned some new stuff today, so that's a good thing ;)

I'm not a lawyer, but I have been trained to google such things.

Op look up the Feds definition of "addicted " and see your chances of disputing a denial on a purchase of a firearm. That was my point!

Ok Rick49 and ETrain you've both made your points [emoji120]

I'm not trying to pick on you. It's an interesting discussion, and is certainly one that should be had, especially for anyone that wants to use and own guns. It's probably a good thing you brought it up.

That article refers to them keeping their state issued CHL's. We're talking about the Federal Government and their form 4473. Different issues.
It was the "Federal court" who upheld the CHL for a State sanctioned medical marihuana user

I know when I first smoked pot it was mostly due to the fact it was illegal which made it not only more of a curiosity but also easier for a minor to procure than alcohol
I think the legality may actually make it less enticing for kids to try

It was the "Federal court" who upheld the CHL for a State sanctioned medical marihuana user

Right. And they're only referring to the CHL, which is nothing more than a license to carry concealed - it has nothing to do with purchasing a gun, strange as that may sound. It may seem that the feds are contradicting themselves considering that supreme court ruling and the ATF's requirements. And they probably are. But really, who want to try and fight the feds on this? They have far more resources than any of us combined. If they want to get you, they can certainly do it.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads