JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We live in one of potland's more "Crapholish" neighborhoods. But we are lucky I guess that we don't have to deal with The Big trees a lot of potland areas do. We do get pretty damned serious wind coming down the Skidmore corridor when it blows like this though. We only had the power flash quickly once. Turning of the computer and messing with the TV and clocks all around. My big wood pile on the East side of the garage threw it's cover including the weighted 2'x8' ply wood and spread it about. A PITA getting it covered again with gusts that must have been 40mph.
This morning, 16 degrees even now, and a delightful LIGHT breeze. The hummer feeders might last close to an hour today. This crap is supposed to be around and not getting out of the 20s until Tuesday. Then calling for freezing rain! :(

Was really enjoying the UFC fights and power then went out for hours. Hustled out the Honda 2000 gen and had it all back in 15min. Being prepared has its perks. BTW a friend went to Safeway and an hour after the power went out - ALL the water and frozen veggies, eggs, meats, wood/kindling WERE ALL GONE.

He did laugh that the only thing left was Bud Light.

A reminder to those (my friends) who mistakenly believe having food stored away at home is 'silly.' If a short term power outage does this - imagine SHTF - people will be ready to KILL to get to that food.

Chilling without power.JPEG

Last Edited:
Was trying to watch UFC and power then went out for hours. Hustled out the Honda 2000 gen and had it all back in 15min. Being prepared has its perks. BTW a friend went to Safeway and an hour after the power went out and ALL the water and frozen veggies, eggs, meats WERE ALL GONE. He did laugh that the only thing left was Bud Light.

A reminder to those (my friends) who mistakenly believe having food stores is 'silly.' A short term power outage does this - imagine SHTF - people will be ready to KILL to get to that food.

View attachment 1802040 View attachment 1802041
15 min? What took you so long?? Jk ya my genny was running, we have water stored, food, fuel and wood heat. If I could shower it would be like nothing ever happened. Shtf people will be killing each other in 48 hours in the big cities

Last Edited:
As for food storage and general preparedness, I know people who won't bother with it at all. I mean they have nothing to sustain themselves for more than a few days.

No gen, no food/water storage, no real weapons. It is a fear and mental weakness thing. If they did prepare it would be an emotional acceptance that very bad things could happen in the future. A step they are stubbornly not willing to take.

Two of them were just sitting in the cold and dark yesterday .... waiting .... for mommy gov't and PGE to save them.

Last Edited:
As for food storage and general preparedness, I know people who won't bother with it at all. I mean they may nothing to sustain themselves for more than a few days.

No gen, no food/water storage, no real weapons. It is a fear and mental weakness thing. If they did prepare it would be an emotional acceptance that very bad things could happen in the future. A step they are stubbornly not willing to take.

Two of them we just sitting in the cold and dark yesterday .... waiting .... for mommy gov't and PGE to save them.
I know people like that....same guys that drive 70,000$ pickups and won't take them down a gravel road, has a wood stove in the house but doesn't own a saw....ya that guy

Will someone please call my wife and tell her she's lucky to have a house that is almost 60°…………
I've been using the woodstove until this morning when I decided that I was burning thru my wood cache faster than I was comfortable with. It takes until afternoon to get the temps inside above 60*F. I want to keep plenty of wood on the porch in case the power goes out, so this morning I turned on the furnace at about 5AM and it is just now getting to almost 60*F. It started at 50*F - outside temps were in the mid teens.

I've had no power problems - yet. The snow here (Chehalem ridge) is small ice crystals, not big flakes - so not it stuck to the large trees and only later did any stick to landscaping bushes. So no snow on the trees means the limbs have much less chance of breaking due to snow load and then falling on power lines.

I think some trees are falling/breaking due to the temps, not snow.

Was really enjoying the UFC fights and power then went out for hours. Hustled out the Honda 2000 gen and had it all back in 15min. Being prepared has its perks. BTW a friend went to Safeway and an hour after the power went out - ALL the water and frozen veggies, eggs, meats, wood/kindling WERE ALL GONE.
Our local Safeway at 72ne Sandy is still without power. From exactly when I don't know. Several of the Crew at the Albertson's on Cully have been over there this morning throwing away a LOT of food. Criminal as far as I'm concerned! There should be someone ready to take a lot of it. Maybe something like a food bank?

I know people like that....same guys that drive 70,000$ pickups and won't take them down a gravel road, has a wood stove in the house but doesn't own a saw....ya that guy
Everybody here on the mountain has at least AWD daily drivers, chain saws, wood stoves and gensets (some are large and automatic with batteries to power critical systems until the genset can kick in and take a load). Propane heat is used by some.

I like the snow - I have nowhere I need to go (until Wed - phys therapy appt) and the snow helps my SAD.

Our local Safeway at 72ne Sandy is still without power. From exactly when I don't know. Several of the Crew at the Albertson's on Cully have been over there this morning throwing away a LOT of food. Criminal as far as I'm concerned! There should be someone ready to take a lot of it. Maybe something like a food bank?
At least for pig food or compost! Humans are wasteful creatures

Just put the food outside - it will keep in these temps

Just put the food outside - it will keep in these temps
One would think? Health department rules are pretty strict. Who would have thought that a store 15 blocks away from us, as the crow flies, would be without power for that long when all we had was a single "Off-On" situation.

Lost power here in Milwaukie for a few hours. Not long enough to fire up the generator. Did have to cook some burgers on my camping stove in the garage though, haha.
I wonder why you went to the garage to cook burgers on the camp stove, you do know that people use propane and natural gas stoves in the house every day, right?

As for food storage and general preparedness, I know people who won't bother with it at all. I mean they may nothing to sustain themselves for more than a few days.

Two of them we just sitting in the cold and dark yesterday .... waiting .... for mommy gov't and PGE to save them.
my wife must be part Mormon, we have enough food for 6 months
water pipes from well head froze last night
just wraped them with soil heating cables from my seed beds - will check back in an hour

when we moved out here 24 years ago, we were the only ones with a generator, but winters weren't this bad back then
now the sound of generators is echoing from all the properties and lights were on across the valley last night
as long as the gas stations have fuel, I'm good

my wife must be part Mormon, we have enough food for 6 months
water pipes from well head froze last night
just wraped them with soil heating cables from my seed beds - will check back in an hour

when we moved out here 24 years ago, we were the only ones with a generator, but winters weren't this bad back then
now the sound of generators is echoing from all the properties and lights were on across the valley last night
as long as the gas stations have fuel, I'm good
Dam global warming!

I've been using the woodstove until this morning when I decided that I was burning thru my wood cache faster than I was comfortable with. It takes until afternoon to get the temps inside above 60*F. I want to keep plenty of wood on the porch in case the power goes out, so this morning I turned on the furnace at about 5AM and it is just now getting to almost 60*F. It started at 50*F - outside temps were in the mid teens.

I've had no power problems - yet. The snow here (Chehalem ridge) is small ice crystals, not big flakes - so not it stuck to the large trees and only later did any stick to landscaping bushes. So no snow on the trees means the limbs have much less chance of breaking due to snow load and then falling on power lines.

I think some trees are falling/breaking due to the temps, not snow.
no damage done, but we lost our 24 year old Oregon Ash due to snow load - split right down the center
most of the trees going down are Big Leaf Maple
by the way, most of our snow split trees survived and just harden over their own wounds
no need to cut down a split tree

Resized_20240110_094245.jpg

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top