JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One thing I can say of the trades and IBEW is if you want it bad enuff it will be yours. Congratulations and make the best of it as I'm sure you will.:)

Is there an age cutoff for starting any of these programs?

I'm not aware of a maximum age limit. I had folks in my apprenticeship class that were in their 40's and 50's. One guy had finished 20 years as an electrician in the Navy and had to start at 2nd term. Surprised they didn't give him more credit for his experience.

Here is a link to the requirements: NIETC Apprenticeship Information

Well, I was starting to think that I would need to reinterview (I'd be eligible to do so in October), especially with the IBEW taking another round of applicants this past month, but I'm finally off to boot camp the 17th of September.
So, how did boot camp go? I'm sure you're out working now. Who are you working for?

I'm also an electrician. I work for EC at Intel doing tool install. I'm a JW, but I mostly do low voltage work like fire alarm, controls, and telecom. It's having those extra skills that has kept me employed thru slow times.

IBEW also stand for I've Been Every Where because having an electrical license can allow you to travel for work if you want.

So, how did boot camp go? I'm sure you're out working now. Who are you working for?

I'm also an electrician. I work for EC at Intel doing tool install. I'm a JW, but I mostly do low voltage work like fire alarm, controls, and telecom. It's having those extra skills that has kept me employed thru slow times.

IBEW also stand for I've Been Every Where because having an electrical license can allow you to travel for work if you want.

October 1st was my first day on the job for Rosendin. I'm at their pre-fab shop right now, but I'm sure I'll be out at Intel soon enough.

Was there any prep work that you did before being accepted? By prep work I mean classes or certifications, etc.?

Yes and no. My past work experience and schooling was/is relevant to the electrical trade - but related experience is not necessarily the deciding factor when it comes to where you are ranked. I was a maintenance mechanic and a machinist, had electrical work and troubleshooting experience, fork lift and first aid/cpr certification, had taken classes in electrical theory, AC motors and transformers, DC power... and I ranked two spots below a woman who had been in banking her whole life. She focused on her volunteer work and community outreach (two things the IBEW is BIG on) in her application and during the interview because she had no experience, and she placed really well because of it. My point is: while experience helps, there are some things than can get you further when it comes to applying and ultimately making it through boot camp.

Edited to add: you do need to be pretty dang good with math to pass that placement test though. I'd brush up if it's been a while.

Fractions.....? I cannot remember how to divide nor multiply them. I can convert to decimal inch, mostly in my head.

What type of math does the electrical world use? Algebra might take some serious afternoons to get back to speed.

Is there any andst towards former/retired military in the IBEW that you have witnessed?

Fractions.....? I cannot remember how to divide nor multiply them. I can convert to decimal inch, mostly in my head.

What type of math does the electrical world use? Algebra might take some serious afternoons to get back to speed.

Is there any andst towards former/retired military in the IBEW that you have witnessed?

The test is largely algebra on the math side of it. No calculator can be used but if your solid in order of operation you should be ok. Don't waste time on harder problems just skip them and come back if/when you have time. If your time is almost up start filling in blanks. If your reading comprehension is good you can offset doing poor on the math portion of the test.

What type of math does the electrical world use?

Basic math, algebra and trigonometry. They do teach you in the apprenticeship. Not everyone comes into the program with a fresh understanding of those math skills. I was several years out of my last math class when I started the apprenticeship. I was able to catch up again.

Good to hear the trades doing well. That union work pays well, but the travel is something else. I work part time for my son who is a plumbing contractor in Central Oregon. We are looking to hire a another journeyman plumber early next year and are recruiting out of state right now, looking to pay above scale and with relocation assistance

There are a ton of plumbers and electricians working out at Facebook in Prineville making huge bank. But that work will run out eventually and they will have to move on to stay union. The trades are the best place to be now, the money is good and the work steady.

Good to hear the trades doing well. That union work pays well, but the travel is something else. I work part time for my son who is a plumbing contractor in Central Oregon. We are looking to hire a another journeyman plumber early next year and are recruiting out of state right now, looking to pay above scale and with relocation assistance

There are a ton of plumbers and electricians working out at Facebook in Prineville making huge bank. But that work will run out eventually and they will have to move on to stay union. The trades are the best place to be now, the money is good and the work steady.

Local 48 still has a lot of travelers in the area. Many are also working out in the Dalles at a couple of big projects there. Projections seem to be, at the moment, that by next summer, we're going to see a big drop in the construction market in our area. That's the way of things. It's always an up and down. It's possible though to always be employed. It helps if you're located in a big market, of course.

That's the way of things. It's always an up and down. It's possible though to always be employed. It helps if you're located in a big market, of course.

Yes, it does ebb and flow like that. The private residential market we work in is real solid right now. We are booked out 4 months right now on new construction, fitting repairs in whenever we can at 1.5 times market rate, and I am going over end of the week to schedule out to June,( including our new place :)). We are putting money in the bank, buying residential lots and making this a solid business for years to come.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top