JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Retired IBEW 1245 shop steward here. Never, ever say "I know." Take everything anybody ever shows you as a gold plated gift and be appreciative, even if you've already mastered it. If you can aim for an industrial electrician that's good money, good benefits, and steady work. Likewise, what Stomper said is true. Controls are a very lucrative field. I started out as an industrial instrument tech, then advanced to control tech. That required first getting the instrument tech card, and then the electrician's card. You had to have both before you could apprentice for control tech.

Industrial stuff is generally high voltage work. Most everything runs on a minimum of 480V in a power plant or factory. Whatever you're involved with in this field keep in mind the old saying, "There are old electricians and bold electricians, but there are no old, bold electricians." I saw a contractor one day drill into a JB to install a conduit fitting and hit a live 480V conductor. The only reason he lived was it blasted him off the ladder. Safety first, always, just like with firearms.

That said, if you can pull your weight without complaining, and try to be grateful for what people try to teach you you'll do fine.

Pretty much +1 to all of that. I am not IBEW but UPTO (Powerplant Electrician). Always remember you can learn something from anyone, and anyone can someday be your boss. Treat all with courtesy and respect (even if they are really ticking you off). I have spent well over 30 years in the electrical trades. Started out as a Lineman in the Air Force, then they combined us with the inside folks. Now that I am out, I am still doing a job I love. And I am still learning new stuff every day. Never forget the basics though. Learn them well. They will serve you when you are troubleshooting and/or working on a system you have never seen before. Math is important. You will learn formulas you will never see again, but others you will use every day. Don't ever be afraid to ask questions, or look something up. Not everyone can remember every formula or rule, but do rember where to find the info you need.
I have 20 years in power plants myself.

Retired IBEW 1245 shop steward here. Never, ever say "I know." Take everything anybody ever shows you as a gold plated gift and be appreciative, even if you've already mastered it. If you can aim for an industrial electrician that's good money, good benefits, and steady work. Likewise, what Stomper said is true. Controls are a very lucrative field. I started out as an industrial instrument tech, then advanced to control tech. That required first getting the instrument tech card, and then the electrician's card. You had to have both before you could apprentice for control tech.

Industrial stuff is generally high voltage work. Most everything runs on a minimum of 480V in a power plant or factory. Whatever you're involved with in this field keep in mind the old saying, "There are old electricians and bold electricians, but there are no old, bold electricians." I saw a contractor one day drill into a JB to install a conduit fitting and hit a live 480V conductor. The only reason he lived was it blasted him off the ladder. Safety first, always, just like with firearms.

That said, if you can pull your weight without complaining, and try to be grateful for what people try to teach you you'll do fine.
yes!!! never ever EVER say "i know"

that'll be your death sentence.

And remember, your feelings don't beat facts. On time is 15 minutes early. Weather happens, fact. Complaining about it doesn't matter, feelings.

Being an apprentice means being humble, asking lots of questions and not thinking you are too big for your britches. Commit to it, and it will pay dividends. Laugh when you're other friends are baristas behind on their rent.

Yep, Local 48 hand here. I've been out of the field for a while now, but what worked for me as an apprentice will work for you too. I can tell you the following will determine who works out and who doesn't:
  1. Late for work - be there early, every single day, and ready to work, preferably before the official start time.
  2. Attitude - it's amazing how many folks work hard to get into the program, only to half-azz it on the job once they get in. As I said in #1 - be prepared to work from the beginning to the end of the day. If you run out of work, find your JW and ask for something more to do. If you can't find the JW, grab a broom and clean up. Never find a reason to be doing nothing - it gets noticed.
  3. Ask questions - don't be afraid to admit you don't know how to do something - you're there to learn, don't try to fake it - if you don't know, ask.
  4. Volunteer - if they need someone to do a job and you have a chance to volunteer, do it. JW's appreciate apprentices that will take things on, including the dirty jobs like cleaning up
  5. Try to anticipate what your JW needs while you're working with them - it helps you to learn as you go
  6. Don't get caught up in gossip - I promise you, if you get tied up with the wrong group, when things get slow, you'll be the first to go. Keep your head down and do your job and leave the gossip for others.
  7. Be prepared to get dirty, tired, sweaty, cold, wet, etc. Sometimes you get the good inside jobs, other times you're laying conduit in a muddy ditch at 35 degrees. Just be aware that changing conditions are normal and try not to complain.
If you do those things, you'll stand above many other apprentices and will be much more likely to be kept on board when things inevitably slow down.

Good luck on getting in. It's a great program and an awesome job. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions, I'll do what I can to help answer.

Great tips and all part of my work ethic already. I have found that #5 really does go a long way. The more experienced guys I work with know I'm paying attention when I've got a tool or part ready before they even ask for it.

Thanks!

Great tips and all part of my work ethic already. I have found that #5 really does go a long way. The more experienced guys I work with know I'm paying attention when I've got a tool or part ready before they even ask for it.

Thanks!

Convince more of your friends that the trades are where some real money is without college loans. "Fairly easy" six figure income, debt free. Nothing wrong with that! :cool:

I currently work as a maintenance mechanic/machinist at a heat treating shop and I hope that experience can help get me into the industrial side of things as that's what I find the most interesting. Thanks for the tips!

If you can whine like a diva, and impede everyone else's access you should make a great electrician. :D:D:eek::eek::D:D
IBEW= I Block Every Walkway. Sounds like some one who tried to but could't cut it.

Seriously though UA290.org is SREAMING to get women into the trade! I have a 2nd term female apprentice working for me, and she's a real trooper! :s0155:[/QUOTE]
OMG UA 290 pipe fighters.:eek::eek::eek::eek: Don't set your sights so low. Go for the "Preferred Trade"
IBEW. ;)

Yep, Local 48 hand here. I've been out of the field for a while now, but what worked for me as an apprentice will work for you too. I can tell you the following will determine who works out and who doesn't:
  1. Late for work - be there early, every single day, and ready to work, preferably before the official start time.
  2. Attitude - it's amazing how many folks work hard to get into the program, only to half-azz it on the job once they get in. As I said in #1 - be prepared to work from the beginning to the end of the day. If you run out of work, find your JW and ask for something more to do. If you can't find the JW, grab a broom and clean up. Never find a reason to be doing nothing - it gets noticed.
  3. Ask questions - don't be afraid to admit you don't know how to do something - you're there to learn, don't try to fake it - if you don't know, ask.
  4. Volunteer - if they need someone to do a job and you have a chance to volunteer, do it. JW's appreciate apprentices that will take things on, including the dirty jobs like cleaning up
  5. Try to anticipate what your JW needs while you're working with them - it helps you to learn as you go
  6. Don't get caught up in gossip - I promise you, if you get tied up with the wrong group, when things get slow, you'll be the first to go. Keep your head down and do your job and leave the gossip for others.
  7. Be prepared to get dirty, tired, sweaty, cold, wet, etc. Sometimes you get the good inside jobs, other times you're laying conduit in a muddy ditch at 35 degrees. Just be aware that changing conditions are normal and try not to complain.
If you do those things, you'll stand above many other apprentices and will be much more likely to be kept on board when things inevitably slow down.

Good luck on getting in. It's a great program and an awesome job. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions, I'll do what I can to help answer.
This great advice goes for all jobs and life. Thanks for being an example to the youngsters

IBEW= I Block Every Walkway. Sounds like some one who tried to but could't cut it.

Seriously though UA290.org is SREAMING to get women into the trade! I have a 2nd term female apprentice working for me, and she's a real trooper! :s0155:
OMG UA 290 pipe fighters.:eek::eek::eek::eek: Don't set your sights so low. Go for the "Preferred Trade"
IBEW. ;)[/QUOTE]

I'm NOT a pipe-fitter or a plumber, I'm skilled labor. ;)

It's the "Half-Watt" crew that block the corridors.
They are expert at that.

:mad:

Careful now, I work primarily with half-watts now...they may take offense at that - not that they could do anything about it ;)

That does bring up another suggestion I'll pass along - as an apprentice, I had the opportunity multiple times to learn low-voltage alongside my regular work. Lighting controls, industrial controls, fire alarm, security/access control, generator and HVAC control wiring. All of that is a huge bonus if you get a chance to learn it - which goes back to my point about volunteering. If you're on a job and you know that kind of work is going on, ask if you can get some hands-on with it. When I was 8th term, I ended up running a crew of 4 JW's (yeah, they agreed to work under an apprentice) doing low voltage lighting controls on a new school. No one else had any experience with it, but I did, so the GF asked me to run the crew handling the lighting. It was a great experience and definitely an interesting test of my ability to answer to my JW's while still directing them.

In the end, the more varied your experience (don't get yourself stuck in just one type of work) the more employable you are. Take every opportunity like that that comes along.

Long term, pay attention to interactions with customers, engineers, architects and other trades - learn to get along with all of them. We joke a lot with other trades, but there are times you'll need favors from them and they'll need favors from you. Learning to do that may lead you out of the field into the office some day, if you choose, as an estimator, Project Manager, etc. Today, I'm a system designer, I do some estimating, training, programming, sales and project management. All of those skills began in the field.

Good luck, you've made a great choice for a career.

UA 290 Fitters and Plumbers. o_O So what are you? I was a Supervisor for a control
company for many years. Worked with Reefer and Control Fitters.
He's an opertater.

upload_2018-4-13_8-14-46.jpeg

UA 290 Fitters and Plumbers. o_O So what are you? I was a Supervisor for a control
company for many years. Worked with Reefer and Control Fitters.

I'm a 28-yr. veteran refrigeration and (State licensed) boiler mechanic/service-tech working on the big-boy stuff at Intel, Solar World, and all the way down through light-commercial HVAC to piddly reach-in coolers, as well as State licensed to install and troubleshoot controls for said equipment. Short of nuclear stuff, I'll boldly claim there's NOTHING that I can't sit down and figure out what's wrong with it and fix it. I started back in 1990 as a temporary "field helper" working in residential, I was competently (for the most part) running my own jobs after less than 6-mos.

I also manage 5 & 6 figure (annual income) client accounts, sell projects, manage those projects, and run the minions in the HVAC division for the service group of a $100M a year company... I don't do it for free, by a long-shot. That's why you see me occasionally posting pictures of my cool "toys"... at least the ones I don't care that you see. ;)

At work they call me, "The Machine Whisperer". True story. :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads