JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, I got my letter in the mail yesterday and I'm a little confused on what it means. It says my "ranked interview score" is 82. I'm not sure if that is my interview score or my number on the ranked list. Either way, that's not great and I'm a little disappointed with myself for not having done better :confused:. I guess my experience and schooling didn't make up for the fact that I was super nervous during the interview :oops:.

Really though, I'm not feeling too bad about it. There were over 900 people that applied and I made it further than most of them. Maybe I'll get the call, maybe I won't. In the mean time I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and I'll be an even better applicant if/when I need to reapply :).

All I can tell ya is get some more experience in the trade (material handler ect) and reapply. If ya really want in it will be yours. Don't take no for an answer and you can always go a different way to get in like a non IBEW contractor or even a different hall. The non IBEW apprenticeship is 4 years instead of 5 most times and once you top out go union. Chin up and keep grinding!

Because I've been a Union Pipefitter for decades, and because I was part of the interviewing and hiring panel, let me say...No matter what the number means, 82 as a score, or 82%, or number 82 on the list, a good portion of the candidates ahead of you will not pass a background investigation, and/or drug test. So that gets you that much closer.

It was often very surprising to me, when I'd ask HR about the hiring progress of a candidate that really impressed me, to be told they had washed out.

So, I got my letter in the mail yesterday and I'm a little confused on what it means. It says my "ranked interview score" is 82. I'm not sure if that is my interview score or my number on the ranked list. Either way, that's not great and I'm a little disappointed with myself for not having done better :confused:. I guess my experience and schooling didn't make up for the fact that I was super nervous during the interview :oops:.

Really though, I'm not feeling too bad about it. There were over 900 people that applied and I made it further than most of them. Maybe I'll get the call, maybe I won't. In the mean time I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and I'll be an even better applicant if/when I need to reapply :).

82 is your rank out of all applicants, which means you're in the top 20% of almost 500 applicants, not bad at all for a first application. I asked around and it sounds like about the first 50 will be taken in this round. Definitely apply again, they will take that into consideration when you give it another go. I know plenty of folks that got in on the 2nd and 3rd try. Just keep in mind you did better than 80% of the other applicants, so you've got something to offer.

As @WAYNO noted, some of those top 50 may not make it in still for a variety of reasons, so there's still a chance...

Is the school program and your employment connected like employer paid? Or are you considered a LME apprentice? Reason I ask is the committee really frowns upon you applying for apprenticeship while you're currently in one or someone is paying for your education they feel like it's a lack of commitment and they want people that are there to complete the program. Good buddy who will make a GREAT lineman and is super smart applied to the apprenticeship (outside) last year as a IBEW journeyman tree trimmer already and was currently 3rd step in IBEW as an equipment operator program and they crucified him in the interview and ranked him in the 300s. He should of been in easy.

I am not an LME apprentice as my company is not a registered training agent. They are paying for my classes though. During the interview I told them that I was in the classes but was not in an apprenticeship and would not be eligible for a license. How the classes were paid for was not asked and I did not say, though I'm sure they assumed employer-paid. It is one of many things I wish I gone into more detail explaining though, and something I will keep in mind if I need to reinterview.

I'm definitely not discouraged. I feel like I did pretty well this time and now I have a good idea how to do even better next time :).

Well, I was starting to think that I would need to reinterview (I'd be eligible to do so in October), especially with the IBEW taking another round of applicants this past month, but I'm finally off to boot camp the 17th of September.

Well, I was starting to think that I would need to reinterview (I'd be eligible to do so in October), especially with the IBEW taking another round of applicants this past month, but I'm finally off to boot camp the 17th of September.

Congratulations! Welcome to Local 48, Sparky!

Can't recall if I asked before - are you going JW route or JLE?

I was just talking to an electrical apprentice the other day. He didn't have any problems getting into the program, since he married the daughter of a retired chapter 48 president.
He's pursuing the low voltage side of the trade and after thinking about it for a minute, I can see why.
Less weight to haul around, certainly less chance of getting zapped.

I'm not quite fluent in the language of your people yet ;). JW=journey worker and JLE=journeyman limited electrician? In any case, I'm doing the Inside program.

No worries - the inside program is JW or "Journeyman Wireman", sometimes referred to as "J Dubs". JLE is "Journeyman, Limited Energy" or the low-voltage program.

I'm an inside wireman myself.

There's been so much work and need for apprentices up here in Seattle that they brought in something like 18 new classes (roughly 20 per class) this past year. This also includes recent military servicemen and women enrolled in our Helmets to Hardhats fast track program.

Never take your position for granted, it was only ten years ago that the '09 Recession put over a thousand local wiremen on unemployment. You'll initially work harder but eventually you'll learn how to work smarter. Being respectful, enthusiastic, punctual and eager to learn will go a long ways towards fulfilling your career in the field. That pot of gold at the end of the rainbow contains 3 pensions, a lifetime annuity, full life, disability, health insurance and the collective bargaining strength of everyone in your local.

Welcome to the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers.

There's been so much work and need for apprentices up here in Seattle that they brought in something like 18 new classes (roughly 20 per class) this past year. This also includes recent military servicemen and women enrolled in our Helmets to Hardhats fast track program.

Never take your position for granted, it was only ten years ago that the '09 Recession put over a thousand local wiremen on unemployment. You'll initially work harder but eventually you'll learn how to work smarter. Being respectful, enthusiastic, punctual and eager to learn will go a long ways towards fulfilling your career in the field. That pot of gold at the end of the rainbow contains 3 pensions, a lifetime annuity, full life, disability, health insurance and the collective bargaining strength of everyone in your local.

Welcome to the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers.

I've been in the IBEW since 1993, been through several recessions during that time, as well as other predictable downturns. I've never been unemployed, for any reason. It's possible to stay employed, even in the worst times. A lot of electricians shy away from healthcare work (hospitals, medical offices, etc.), but even in the worst economies, they are doing work. And being the reliable, dependable, trustworthy employee that does their job and doesn't complain, will put anyone in the top 10% of all employees and likely to keep working during the down times.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top