JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I had an interview earlier this week for the inside electrical apprenticeship and I'll learn my rank next week. What should I expect during boot camp? Any tool/gear recommendations? What do you wish your apprentices would or wouldn't do?

Manpower shortage right now. Use your head you will do fine.:D Different contractors
do different "niches" in the trade.;) Some work can be high precision slow pace and others can be
hack and slash plus everything in between.:eek: Hopefully you will find one you like.
I'm retired IBEW 48.

IBEW 125 here. Buy once cry once imo good tools are not cheap. I like Klein and Milwaukee tools but lots of good stuff out now days. Don't settle for a tool belt that's uncomfortable. Might have to go through more then one to get one that's good to go. Maybe one of the inside guys can line you out on what their camp is like.

Oh don't ever say "I know" as an apprentice that word will bury you quick. Even if ya do know how to do something shut up take instruction and do it the way you were shown and if ya already know how to do it then you can impress by doing it correct the first time.

One of my last superstar apprentices said "I know" as he was being laid out on a pipe demo project only to find he later saw-alled through the wrong conduit containing live 50a 3phase conductors. He was extremely lucky that day and survived.

I didn't mean being a tin-knocker (been there done that), I'm talking as a service mechanic.... severe labor shortage, six-figure income after the apprenticeship. ;)

Ah, I see. I thought you were just poking fun, as you sometimes do. I'll keep that in mind if I am too far down the list to get in this time around.

Truly skilled trades people are hard to find these days. Too many want an easy cushy office job. I'm in the business, and it's not getting any easier.

Ah, I see. I thought you were just poking fun, as you sometimes do. I'll keep that in mind if I am too far down the list to get in this time around.

I was poking fun... my dad is a retired sparky, @etrain16 is a sparky... :D

Seriously though UA290.org is SREAMING to get women into the trade! I have a 2nd term female apprentice working for me, and she's a real trooper! :s0155:

I was an electricians mate in the Navy and if I had to do it over again I think I might have worked towards being an ectrician. I have done well as a keyboard jockey but I think the real money going forward will be in skill trades.
We appear to be seeing shortages in skill trades today and it will get worse.

I was an electricians mate in the Navy and if I had to do it over again I think I might have worked towards being an ectrician. I have done well as a keyboard jockey but I think the real money going forward will be in skill trades.
We appear to be seeing shortages in skill trades today and it will get worse.

You are correct, and you can't outsource it to a dweeb sitting in New Delhi India at ringy-dingy university for $12.00 an hour, either! ;)

A good attitude and eagerness to learn go a long way. Be a leader not a follower. I've seen so many hipster wimps who are lazy and self entitled show up in the last couple years.

LEAVE THE FREAKING FAKEBOOK IN YOUR LUNCHBOX, nothing is more enraging than an apprentice screwing off on their phone instead of working..... :eek:

I've seen so many hipster wimps who are lazy and self entitled show up in the last couple years.

On the outside they get washed out quick. Still LOTS of oldschool hands that will ride you for something as small as how you shake hands. Remember you don't have to be union and can always go non union to get you foot in the door. Same same once you top out and can always go union later.

I had an interview earlier this week for the inside electrical apprenticeship and I'll learn my rank next week. What should I expect during boot camp? Any tool/gear recommendations? What do you wish your apprentices would or wouldn't do?

Yep, Local 48 hand here. I've been out of the field for a while now, but what worked for me as an apprentice will work for you too. I can tell you the following will determine who works out and who doesn't:
  1. Late for work - be there early, every single day, and ready to work, preferably before the official start time.
  2. Attitude - it's amazing how many folks work hard to get into the program, only to half-azz it on the job once they get in. As I said in #1 - be prepared to work from the beginning to the end of the day. If you run out of work, find your JW and ask for something more to do. If you can't find the JW, grab a broom and clean up. Never find a reason to be doing nothing - it gets noticed.
  3. Ask questions - don't be afraid to admit you don't know how to do something - you're there to learn, don't try to fake it - if you don't know, ask.
  4. Volunteer - if they need someone to do a job and you have a chance to volunteer, do it. JW's appreciate apprentices that will take things on, including the dirty jobs like cleaning up
  5. Try to anticipate what your JW needs while you're working with them - it helps you to learn as you go
  6. Don't get caught up in gossip - I promise you, if you get tied up with the wrong group, when things get slow, you'll be the first to go. Keep your head down and do your job and leave the gossip for others.
  7. Be prepared to get dirty, tired, sweaty, cold, wet, etc. Sometimes you get the good inside jobs, other times you're laying conduit in a muddy ditch at 35 degrees. Just be aware that changing conditions are normal and try not to complain.
If you do those things, you'll stand above many other apprentices and will be much more likely to be kept on board when things inevitably slow down.

Good luck on getting in. It's a great program and an awesome job. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions, I'll do what I can to help answer.

Last Edited:
Yep, Local 48 hand here. I've been out of the field for a while now, but what worked for me as an apprentice will work for you too. I can tell you the biggest issues we have with apprentices that don't work out:
  1. Late for work - be there early, every single day, and ready to work, preferably before the official start time.
  2. Attitude - it's amazing how many folks work hard to get into the program, only to half-azz it on the job once they get in. As I said in #1 - be prepared to work from the beginning to the end of the day. If you run out of work, find your JW and ask for something more to do. If you can't find the JW, grab a broom and clean up. Never find a reason to be doing nothing - it gets noticed.
  3. Ask questions - don't be afraid to admit you don't know how to do something - you're there to learn, don't try to fake it - if you don't know, ask.
  4. Volunteer - if they need someone to do a job and you have a chance to volunteer, do it. JW's appreciate apprentices that will take things on, including the dirty jobs like cleaning up
  5. Try to anticipate what your JW needs while you're working with them - it helps you to learn as you go
  6. Don't get caught up in gossip - I promise you, if you get tied up with the wrong group, when things get slow, you'll be the first to go. Keep your head down and do your job and leave the gossip for others.
  7. Be prepared to get dirty, tired, sweaty, cold, wet, etc. Sometimes you get the good inside jobs, other times you're laying conduit in a muddy ditch at 35 degrees. Just be aware that changing conditions are normal and try not to complain.
If you do those things, you'll stand above many other apprentices and will be much more likely to be kept on board when things inevitably slow down.

Good luck on getting in. It's a great program and an awesome job. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions, I'll do what I can to help answer.
Pretty much +1 to all of that. I am not IBEW but UPTO (Powerplant Electrician). Always remember you can learn something from anyone, and anyone can someday be your boss. Treat all with courtesy and respect (even if they are really ticking you off). I have spent well over 30 years in the electrical trades. Started out as a Lineman in the Air Force, then they combined us with the inside folks. Now that I am out, I am still doing a job I love. And I am still learning new stuff every day. Never forget the basics though. Learn them well. They will serve you when you are troubleshooting and/or working on a system you have never seen before. Math is important. You will learn formulas you will never see again, but others you will use every day. Don't ever be afraid to ask questions, or look something up. Not everyone can remember every formula or rule, but do rember where to find the info you need.

i was IBEW local 280 about 12 years ago. made it to #2 on the apprenticeship list then got laid off in 2008 as a material handler for EC company.

the training center actually stopped taking apprentices right at that same time. lucky me.

now i fix cars and make a decent living but, being an electrician alwsys intetested me.

my dad has been local 280 for 30 years. hes a project manager for EC company. he expects his apprentices to work hard and do their job and listen to his foreman.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top