JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys,

I was wondering...

I often read about what gun is best during a given situation and I was wondering if it really only boils down to just having "a" gun to protect yourself and your loved ones.
People always go on and on about what they think is best and that's great, most of here are enthusiast so I welcome the chatter but I often think of this and wanted to get some input from my piers...

I am not going to let you guys off easily by saying "this one is cool" or "this one is tactical because of" I would like us to really think objectively about this.

I read recently that you just "must" have a .45 pistol for a shtf situation or you "have" to have and AR/AK type pistol/rifle but I was wondering what your guys opinion would be if you simple needed "something" rather then nothing and other peoples opinions did not come in to play.

Thanks

Rob

Last Edited:
BUT, But, but.....you also have to KNOW.....how and when to use it.

Aloha, Mark

PS....remember this pro?
or this pro?
and KNOW how to safely carry.

As always ( or at least almost always ) :

I would choose my .54 Caliber Hawken Rifle.
I have used this rifle long enough to know how to shoot it.
It has accounted for many a rifle shooting match and kept me fed.

To me at least , it is simple to shoot and maintain.
It handles and carries nicely as well.
I have shot this rifle almost exclusively since I bought it new , from the rifle maker in 1997...Because of that usage I can load and shoot this rifle almost without thought.

Is it the "best"...nope.
But it is the rifle that I shoot the best with...and does what I need a rifle to do.

I know this choice is unconventional for most folks....but the question was :
what your guys opinion would be if you simple needed "something" rather then nothing and other peoples opinions did not come in to play.
So for me , the choice is simple...use the rifle I shoot , carry and "know" the best.
Andy

Last Edited:
I have said all my life of owning a gun. The one you have beats ANYTHING better you do not have when you need it.
When I started to carry there was a selection that is a drop in the bucket to what we have now. LOT's of talk of "I would not bother with anything smaller than...............". Sounds great but, in the real world FEW who say that stuff will ALWAYS have that better gun with them. Most of us will go our entire life and never need to point a gun at another 2 legged critter unless we were in the Military or Law Enforcement. Fewer still will ever have to shoot one as more times than we can know the gun stops the threat before its ever fired.

I decided to stick with my G19, yes it is just a 9mm but in a pinch I would think with the right training and placement of shots that would be sufficient. Even if a person is all hoped up on drugs a well placed headshot would neutralize the individual (yes this is graphic and I would never want to have to do such a horrible thing if I did not have to).

My Browning Hi-power, every time. It's not the prettiest, but its accurate and hasn't had a single malfunction since I put it together from a parts kit in '99.

If push comes to shove, my Hi-Power is a trustworthy friend.

My Browning Hi-power, every time. It's not the prettiest, but its accurate and hasn't had a single malfunction since I put it together from a parts kit in '99.

I love my Luger, my 1911, my pile of ancient top break revolvers.. but if push comes to shove, the Hi-Power is a trustworthy friend.
9mm?

Yup.

20210723_091330.jpg

Would be simple to stick with two calibers. 556 and 9mm
AR, HK mp5 and Glock
How much do you think a Benelli M4 with collapsible stock and full length shell tube could go for?
You guys can guess I am trying to clean house...

One gun to rule them all? Glock 23. At one point, I had mine set up to be a 4 caliber gun. .22lr, 9mm, .40sw and .357sig. Small enough to conceal, large enough to shoot well, powerful enough to get the job done, reliable enough to trust with your life.

In the old days we had fewer gun companies so choices could be made by actual experience. Now days the are so many makes and models a man hasn't got the time or money to try them all to see what works for him.

Gun is a tool, how good you run it is up to you.

Everything has pros, cons, and limitations. Usually, to be really good at one area means sacrifices in another area. Just know what the operating envelope of a chosen tool is and work within that and you will be fine.

Diff guns for diff projected uses.

SHTF is a whole diff scenario from SD. So it has it's own requirements/thinking. You will find a thread on it somewhere, opinions on what to have are highly varied.

SD, I currently have a 9mm with 17rd mags for EDC. I used to carry a full size 2011 .45ACP for winter usage when people wear heavy coats, but I had to give up shooting .45 due to very bad arthritic thumbs.

HD, I have 9mm next to me, .357 at the door, .410 Judge and AR shorty in the bedroom, and 12GA if I have to go out into the yard. Prob don't need all that. But ya never know.

I agree. Having gun is half the battle.

Definitely a first world problem, especially in the US where gun ownership is part of everyday life and individuals have the right to own as many as they like. It might get to the point where one has collected so freaking many that they really have a hard time deciding on just one.

Honestly though, I really think one pistol, and good skills is all that is really needed. Just like those that carry everyday, I feel that blending in will be crucial. I don't think a slung rifle will help anyone blend in even in times where the world has gone to poop. Not that a rifle won't have its purpose in the end of the world, I just don't see it as something that doesn't scream look at me. Unless you have the skills and tools to stay hidden, a rifle will always make you more visible.

I may be completely wrong, but who freaking knows, no future is certain.

BTW, most defense firearms are for "Just in case" use. The highest % of actual use other than in the home is that the mere display of a firearm sends the roaches scurrying. The exception is SOME of the experienced "gangsta" types.

The best gun to have? The one in your hand right now! One gun is better than no gun. I have had a lot of guns over the years, and almost all I could shoot with some degree of acceptable accuracy, by my standards. There are a few I would not have again, either because my hands are to big or the gun too small, but I had to try them. I really like j frame revolvers, cool little guns, but past 15 feet I can't hit consistently. Small cheap autos I can only wrap one and a half fingers around I gave up on almost immediately forty years ago.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews