JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've carried a NAA stainless 22lr 1.125" barrel for 30 years. I've added a foldable grip & tiny top mount laser. I clip it in my watch pocket in jeans or reg pocket in slacks& it looks llike the end of a folding knife. I sometimes carry a pair og 10mm G29s by I ALWays carry my little friend. I just bought a NAA 4" top break. Lauph if you want but let me put 5 rds of Stingers in you then report back. I can keep them all in a paper plate at 10 yards.

I many years ago went to the 9mm for pretty much every hand gun I own. The main reason is I buy one case of ammo and shoot 97% of my hand guns.

When I started into firearms, I had all sorts of calibers and when I wanted to shoot it seemed I only had one box of this or a couple boxes of that so I got fed up and just went with 9mm.

I will admit I still have a couple odd calibers, more collector guns than shooters.

My EDC for years was a G19 and still is for the most part so when I picked up another gun, I just went with 9mm. I have 1911s, Beretta, Smith Wesson, Walther, Glock and CZ plus several PCCs all in 9mm so one case of ammo covers them all. Heck, even one box of ammo would allow me to shoot at least one round in each gun.

Now as far as the original question any gun is better than no gun, so the make model and caliber does not matter and then with that gun you do what every third world country does and that is use what you have to acquire what we need.

Hey guys,

I was wondering...

I often read about what gun is best during a given situation and I was wondering if it really only boils down to just having "a" gun to protect yourself and your loved ones.
People always go on and on about what they think is best and that's great, most of here are enthusiast so I welcome the chatter but I often think of this and wanted to get some input from my piers...

I am not going to let you guys off easily by saying "this one is cool" or "this one is tactical because of" I would like us to really think objectively about this.

I read recently that you just "must" have a .45 pistol for a shtf situation or you "have" to have and AR/AK type pistol/rifle but I was wondering what your guys opinion would be if you simple needed "something" rather then nothing and other peoples opinions did not come in to play.

Thanks

Rob
I think the deal is that certain guns do certain jobs better than others, but like others have said, any gun is better than none.

If you can only have one gun, IMO, a higher capacity compact pistol (M&P Compact or Shield Plus for example) would be best. That way you can CCW and still use it for HD. Yea, a rifle or shotgun is better for HD but you can't CCW those. (I don't believe open carry in large cities is a good idea, even when legal).

Ideally I think eve one should have two guns, a long gun for HD and a Compact/Subcompact for carry. Your Compact could be handed to your spouse or other cohabitant in the event of a break in for back up.

But more guns is best IMO. There are people like me that have 20+ guns. Pretty sure for some that's still a small number. Lol.

I think the deal is that certain guns do certain jobs better than others, but like others have said, any gun is better than none.

If you can only have one gun, IMO, a higher capacity compact pistol (M&P Compact or Shield Plus for example) would be best. That way you can CCW and still use it for HD. Yea, a rifle or shotgun is better for HD but you can't CCW those. (I don't believe open carry in large cities is a good idea, even when legal).

Ideally I think eve one should have two guns, a long gun for HD and a Compact/Subcompact for carry. Your Compact could be handed to your spouse or other cohabitant in the event of a break in for back up.

But more guns is best IMO. There are people like me that have 20+ guns. Pretty sure for some that's still a small number. Lol.
Well said…

One of the prolific SD writers surmised that when it really came down to it just having any working gun has you 98% better off! And he had the stats to back that up. I"M thinking it was Elifritz... But not positive DR

I decided to stick with my G19, yes it is just a 9mm but in a pinch I would think with the right training and placement of shots that would be sufficient. Even if a person is all hoped up on drugs a well placed headshot would neutralize the individual (yes this is graphic and I would never want to have to do such a horrible thing if I did not have to).
That's Great!! You did a good choice..

I decided to keep largely two kinds of guns - extremely accurate 9mms and semiauto .308s. Both are useful at long or short range (9mm shoots flat to 100m).

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top