JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As always ( or at least almost always ) :

I would choose my .54 Caliber Hawken Rifle.
I have used this rifle long enough to know how to shoot it.
It has accounted for many a rifle shooting match and kept me fed.

To me at least , it is simple to shoot and maintain.
It handlesl and carries nicely as well.
I have shot this rifle almost exclusively since I bought it new , from the rifle maker in 1997...Because of that usage I can load and shoot this rifle almost without thought.

Is it the "best"...nope.
But it is the rifle that I shoot the best with...and does what I need a rifle to do.

I know this choice is unconventional for most folks....but the question was :

So for me , the choice is simple...use the rifle I shoot , carry and "know" the best.
Andy
Closest thing I've seen to "Beware the man with one gun...".

Joe

Closest thing I've seen to "Beware the man with one gun...".

Joe
Makes me think of one of the only two George Clooney movies I like.... "The Peacemaker" where Nicole Kidman says she doesn't worry about dictators/countries that want a bunch nukes, she worries about that man that only wants one. (paraphrasing)((the other movie was "Brother Where Art Thou"))

I have handguns in .22 LR, .357M, .44M, .460M, .45 ACP, 9x19 and 5.7x28

They each have their pros and cons. What I would choose would depend on the anticipated use. I rarely carry a handgun on my person, but I often have one available.

In a SHTF situtaiton, whatever you have, is whatever you have.

Given a choice, I will take 17 rounds of 9mm over 8 rounds of 45 ANYDAY. And in a scavenging situation, 9mm will be much easier to find than 45,

In a SHTF situtaiton, whatever you have, is whatever you have.

Given a choice, I will take 17 rounds of 9mm over 8 rounds of 45 ANYDAY. And in a scavenging situation, 9mm will be much easier to find than 45,
This is why I have multiple guns in multiple calibers and plenty of ammo. Whatever ammo becomes available, if it is at all common, I will probably have something to shoot with it.

Makes me think of one of the only two George Clooney movies I like.... "The Peacemaker" where Nicole Kidman says she doesn't worry about dictators/countries that want a bunch nukes, she worries about that man that only wants one. (paraphrasing)((the other movie was "Brother Where Art Thou"))
What about "Michael Clayton" and "Syriana", I thought they were pretty good.

What about "Michael Clayton" and "Syriana", I thought they were pretty good.
I don't think I've seen either one. Wasn't Syriana a scifi flick?

I remember a Clooney movie where he was an assassin that spent time in France.... terrible movie!!! The "Oceans" movie or series of movies... meh. Just not a Clooney fan. Sorry.

I have a few handguns in something like 27 calibers. The one I trust my life to in most situations isn't my favorite but it just plain works is a Glock 22 in 40 S&W. My one rifle would be my .300 Win Mag.

Story about the least (perhaps) gun, not "any gun".
All I had was a .25 and the other fella had a 12 gauge pump gun. It got a little tense but nothing came of it but I was glad I had it.

Blonde, brunette, or redhead?
Curly-haired or straight hair?
Long or short hair or even bald?
Tall, medium or short in height?
BIg Boobs, medium-sized or little ones?
A flat midsection, medium of plenty of folds?
Big Booty, medium, or small and flat?
Not even getting into the "personality" or other attributes.

Who knows what the correct answer is? YOU got your pick. And the same could be said about handgun choices.

Pick what's RIGHT for YOU.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
The best gun to have? The one in your hand right now! One gun is better than no gun. I have had a lot of guns over the years, and almost all I could shoot with some degree of acceptable accuracy, by my standards. There are a few I would not have again, either because my hands are to big or the gun too small, but I had to try them. I really like j frame revolvers, cool little guns, but past 15 feet I can't hit consistently. Small cheap autos I can only wrap one and a half fingers around I gave up on almost immediately forty years ago.
I have the same problem with small guns. Also can't shoot light guns very well, even if full size. Even when was a young broad, I had a slight tremble in my arms that is imperceptible ordinarily but really matters if I hold a light gun in outstretched arm(s). But a gun about 30 oz. or more stabilizes the tremble.

My EDC is a SW 686 snubby .357. It weighs 36 oz. unloaded. I figure that if I'm not at home if SHTF hit, the gun I have with me would very likely be my EDC. So my EDC needs to have secondary capability as a good handgun for SHTF. "Buddy" is accurate, capable as a woods gun, useful in hunting small game and animals up to deer, and useful for SD against bad humans. And between .38sp and .357, in revolver centerfire calibers it would be easiest to scrounge ammo if I was far from home. Buddy would be far from ideal for any of these purposes. But he'll do.

I have the same problem with small guns. Also can't shoot light guns very well, even if full size. Even when was a young broad, I had a slight tremble in my arms that is imperceptible ordinarily but really matters if I hold a light gun in outstretched arm(s). But a gun about 30 oz. or more stabilizes the tremble.

My EDC is a SW 686 snubby .357. It weighs 36 oz. unloaded. I figure that if I'm not at home if SHTF hit, the gun I have with me would very likely be my EDC. So my EDC needs to have secondary capability as a good handgun for SHTF. "Buddy" is accurate, capable as a woods gun, useful in hunting small game and animals up to deer, and useful for SD against bad humans. And between .38sp and .357, in revolver centerfire calibers it would be easiest to scrounge ammo if I was far from home. Buddy would be far from ideal for any of these purposes. But he'll do.
I must apologize for the opening introduction,,, it should have been "Hey guys and Gals...." :s0152: @OldBroad44

If we're talking a "something or nothing" situation, my LCP in .380 is the answer. I don't feel undergunned and it's a far cry better than some stern words.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top