JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A friend told me he watched a TV show on how inefficient home/survival gardens are - SHM. Well of course they will say that, what do you expect? Full dependency in every regard is the goal.

Don't watch CNN/MSM propaganda at all now, but it is on all the monitors at my gym. Holy crap. Now I get why so many are just misinformed idiots. If they could only step away from the boob tube for a month perhaps they would see how they are so easily manipulated to believe all this false crap.

A friend told me he watched a TV show on how inefficient home/survival gardens are - SHM. Well of course they will say that, what do you expect? Full dependency in every regard is the goal.

Don't watch CNN/MSM propaganda at all now, but it is on all the monitors at my gym. Holy crap. Now I get why so many are just misinformed idiots. If they could only step away from the boob tube for a month perhaps they would see how they are so easily manipulated to believe all this false crap.

We've never attempted a full-on garden yet.

However, from our experience growing fruits and vegetables in 5 gallon buckets on our deck, I'd say we'd be wildly successful with an actual home garden. We've been doing the garden bucket thing for 3 years, and every day each bucket was producing more fruits/veggies than 3 of us could eat per day, and that went on for several weeks, got to the point we began canning, freezing and pickling the "crop". That's just from 3 five gallon buckets. And I'm no green thumb either.

My only concern is if the seeds or starts we acquired are GMO and designed to be single generation.....I haven't paid attention to those details.

Since a true "survivalist" garden would take serious commitment, and in my urban area a likely need to use force to protect the garden during an actual "shtf" event, we don't take it seriously.

Someday we'll move out of town and we're definitely going to do year-round gardening... I'm quite certain we'll be successful, if only to avoid all of the GMO food nowadays.

Didn't Gates buy a bunch of farmland? Eff him!

We've never attempted a full-on garden yet.

However, from our experience growing fruits and vegetables in 5 gallon buckets on our deck, I'd say we'd be wildly successful with an actual home garden. We've been doing the garden bucket thing for 3 years, and every day each bucket was producing more fruits/veggies than 3 of us could eat per day, and that went on for several weeks, got to the point we began canning, freezing and pickling the "crop". That's just from 3 five gallon buckets. And I'm no green thumb either.

My only concern is if the seeds or starts we acquired are GMO and designed to be single generation.....I haven't paid attention to those details.

Since a true "survivalist" garden would take serious commitment, and in my urban area a likely need to use force to protect the garden during an actual "shtf" event, we don't take it seriously.

Someday we'll move out of town and we're definitely going to do year-round gardening... I'm quite certain we'll be successful, if only to avoid all of the GMO food nowadays.

Here's a good source for seeds that will 'grow true'.

A friend told me he watched a TV show on how inefficient home/survival gardens are
Didn't watch a show or anything, but that statement is somewhat correct.

Doesn't mean it is a bad idea or anything, but a garden isn't a farm. Which is funny, because it is an apples to oranges kinda comparison. Funnier still is that person with the bucket gardening idea is actually pretty efficient.

People here seem to misunderstand the meaning or intent of the words "efficient/inefficient" and "practical/impractical" most of the time.

Couple of different options to consider:
  • Greenhouses (both big and small) are amazing season extenders. We consistently have tomatoes until November and some crops can definitely overwinter with just a little help (cover). A friend runs a little heater in his when it gets below 45 or so and has a surprising amount of produce that survives all winter. It may not thrive because it doesn't have the sunlight and lots of heat, but it supplements his winter food.
  • Dry gardening is the concept of starting your crops earlier in the season but limiting or eliminating the amount of water. You need to test out which varieties do well with this concept, but once you figure it out you can extend your garden with much less water and still get food. We found onions, potatoes, radishes, sunchokes/Jerusalem artichokes, some peppers, and some tomatoes varieties take to dry gardening. Granted, there is a significant drop on quantity when dry gardening because the plants have to really work for their water, but we find the taste from the dry gardened produce to be much more favorable. Plus, we use absolutely zero water on this part of the garden during the summer months which is important if you are on well.
  • Permaculture is the process of combining crops for mutual benefit. Lots of sites out there like permies.com or secretgardenofsurvival.com to get you started. We used some of the concepts and noticed that our water use was less as well as crops were benefiting from the other cohabitant (planting peas & beans with corn, peppers/tomatoes with carrots and radishes, lettuce under the fruit trees, planting marigolds around the garden, etc.).

I doubt he is relying on that land to feed him & his family. In that regard, given his financial resources, he would be better off buying a LOT of long term storage food and secure storage for that food and other supplies. It doesn't take thousands of acres to feed one family or a couple of families.

If I had his billions of dollars, I would have a number of geographically diverse survival retreats with supplies and maintained gardens (including Walipini greenhouses, underground hidden greenhouses, orchards and "guerilla gardens" with perennial food plants). If he is as smart as people say he is, and is concerned about the future of humanity, I would think he probably has something like this - I would.

It is more likely just an investment given the future, and not an unwise one IMO.

I doubt he is relying on that land to feed him & his family. In that regard, given his financial resources, he would be better off buying a LOT of long term storage food and secure storage for that food and other supplies. It doesn't take thousands of acres to feed one family or a couple of families.

If I had his billions of dollars, I would have a number of geographically diverse survival retreats with supplies and maintained gardens (including Walipini greenhouses, underground hidden greenhouses, orchards and "guerilla gardens" with perennial food plants). If he is as smart as people say he is, and is concerned about the future of humanity, I would think he probably has something like this - I would.

It is more likely just an investment given the future, and not an unwise one IMO.
Warning: incoming conspiracy theory

I think a lot of the angst about him buying farmland is what he'll do with it, seeing as how he's a globalist. I'm not saying that's what's up....but I'm not confident in his intentions either.... could he use those holdings to deploy even crazier types of GMO products? You ever wonder what kind of food the elites eat? Doubt they eat anything with GMO in it. Also doubt any of them truly took COVID vaccines.

There's an issue going on in Arizona with regards to water rights. Some middle Eastern country bought up huge tracts of land and has been consuming huge amounts of water to grow alfalfa and ship back home. This affects water rights for homeowners on wells, like my uncle who lives in New River.

Google "Arizona alfalfa Saudi Arabia" and peruse the first few articles. The open air, unhidden corruption will blow your mind.

How is Gates any better......

Warning: incoming conspiracy theory

I think a lot of the angst about him buying farmland is what he'll do with it, seeing as how he's a globalist. I'm not saying that's what's up....but I'm not confident in his intentions either.... could he use those holdings to deploy even crazier types of GMO products? You ever wonder what kind of food the elites eat? Doubt they eat anything with GMO in it. Also doubt any of them truly took COVID vaccines.

There's an issue going on in Arizona with regards to water rights. Some middle Eastern country bought up huge tracts of land and has been consuming huge amounts of water to grow alfalfa and ship back home. This affects water rights for homeowners on wells, like my uncle who lives in New River.

Google "Arizona alfalfa Saudi Arabia" and peruse the first few articles. The open air, unhidden corruption will blow your mind.

How is Gates any better......
Ah yes - two or more conspiracy theories in one (Gate/farmland & GMO & ?)

Gates being a globalist scumbag isn't a conspiracy. Prior to the C nonsense he openly stated that the whole's population was headed to 9 billion and a good solution to remedy that would be 'medical'. Not to save, but to reduce. However, nowadays they can speak such things openly and not hide in the shadows like in the old days of seeking dark places and owl ceremonies, etc.

Now they get right in your face and tell you their plans. Sadly people are so fearful, so programmed to comply, it really doesn't matter. Gates is beholden to people above him like Klaus. Gates is NOT the richest man in the world. That is a sad joke. The trillionaires, the owners of the Fed, Blackrock, and controllers at the WEF make Gates look like a bum pushing a shopping cart.

Gates is buying up land to control food period and his handlers will be using the planned starvations as just another thinning of the cattle (us). Any healthy foods will be burned down or banned in favor of bugs and soys. The two most proven liars in modern history, gov and pharms, perpetuated the worst crimes in modern human history and STILL the compliant zombies cannot see it for themselves because only comforting thoughts matter.

Look how society has de-evolved in the last three years on every level. Nations must fall for the new global gov and digital currency to have a lock on every human on Earth. It is only the beginning but it is coming very fast. The Great Reset is not some joke at all. It WILL happen.

Enjoy your social credit score, your CC rating and taxes, your square foot allotment to live in, no private ownership of almost anything, certainly not guns. Say anything objectionable and you will be discarded (like this diatribe).

So as George Carlin so aptly put it "You have owners. They Own You. Freedom is simply an illusion." Other than that, keep believing we are brave or free. Ignorance is bliss, but reality trumps delusional thinking every time.

Being old is a good thing these days because the young are headed into a nightmare of complete servitude and slavery.

Gates being a globalist scumbag isn't a conspiracy. Prior to the C nonsense he openly stated that the whole's population was headed to 9 billion and a good solution to remedy that would be 'medical'. Not to save, but to reduce. However, nowadays they can speak such things openly and not hide in the shadows like in the old days of seeking dark places and owl ceremonies, etc.

Now they get right in your face and tell you their plans. Sadly people are so fearful, so programmed to comply, it really doesn't matter. Gates is beholden to people above him like Klaus. Gates is NOT the richest man in the world. That is a sad joke. The trillionaires, the owners of the Fed, Blackrock, and controllers at the WEF make Gates look like a bum pushing a shopping cart.

Gates is buying up land to control food period and his handlers will be using the planned starvations as just another thinning of the cattle (us). Any healthy foods will be burned down or banned in favor of bugs and soys. The two most proven liars in modern history, gov and pharms, perpetuated the worst crimes in modern human history and STILL the compliant zombies cannot see it for themselves because only comforting thoughts matter.

Look how society has de-evolved in the last three years on every level. Nations must fall for the new global gov and digital currency to have a lock on every human on Earth. It is only the beginning but it is coming very fast. The Great Reset is not some joke at all. It WILL happen.

Enjoy your social credit score, your CC rating and taxes, your square foot allotment to live in, no private ownership of almost anything, certainly not guns. Say anything objectionable and you will be discarded (like this diatribe).

So as George Carlin so aptly put it "You have owners. They Own You. Freedom is simply an illusion." Other than that, keep believing we are brave or free. Ignorance is bliss, but reality trumps delusional thinking every time.
Be careful…. You said "trump"…

Being old is a good thing these days because the young are headed into a nightmare of complete servitude and slavery.
Puh-leeze.

The day this country fried the idea of allodial title, they set the stage for a lifetime of servitude
- and that was long, long ago.

April is coming. Don't forget your taxes, citizen.

Puh-leeze.

The day this country fried the idea of allodial title, they set the stage for a lifetime of servitude
- and that was long, long ago.

April is coming. Don't forget your taxes, citizen.
This country never really ever had allodial title. All land (held by settlers) prior to the Revolutionary War was held for the Crown, i.e., by England, through royal grants. It was granted by the Crown to a landholder, governor, colonial leader, etc., who could then sell it off to others, but it originally (and at that time, still) belonged to the Crown. After the Treaty of Paris concluded the Revolutionary War, the Crown was barred from ownership of the grants through American independence, and the rights of the Crown and the Crown's original grantees were extinguished. But those people that had bought/been gifted land from the Crown's original grantee retained the land, but were now subject to laws of the new United States. So, we never really had allodial title in this country.

Which is total BS, by the way. It's why the state/county/city/irrigation district/etc. can repossess for totally-paid-for home and/or land if you fail/refuse/neglect to pay property taxes. So, yes, you never really own your own home/land in this country, which is a really phuq'd up notion in the (ostensibly) "land of the free".

We have no allodial title here. Never have...

Fully expect a crappy 2023. The WEF and war profiteers are working 24/7/365 to make sure of that, sadly. Food prices haven't really begun their trek upward yet. This may be the year of complete financial meltdown and restructuring to a government digital currency. Do I dwell on the negative? Not at all. But ignorance of what the plotters have in store for us is not bliss.

Does anyone here know if there is any meaningful work being done to

(1) Ensure that our supply chain is relatively immune to disruption

(2) Secure our southern border

(3) Secure our electrical grid from terrorist attacks and EMP/CME

(4) Decrease our dependence on other nations for oil and medicines

????

Or are we, as a nation, ignoring these issues while simultaneously fighting a proxy war with a nuclear-armed Russia?

I'm pro 2A, but if anything happens that shuts off our supply of food, electricity, or medicine - the "mostly peaceful protests" we recently witnessed are going to seem tame compared to what a desperate and well-armed populace might do to each other.

I'm glad we have the Second Amendment. But I don't think our guns are going to be able to feed us. We need to be working together to fix the issues I mentioned above.

I'm hoping someone more savvy than I am can tell me about people/organizations who are working towards our national security. I could use some encouragement.

Slightly off topic but.......VA is having a difficult time acquiring some prescription medications. 2 weeks ago was told one of my scrips was not available and to check back. Checked back on Friday. They had what I needed but while I was waiting for the script to be filled I watched and heard a dozen or so vets being told their scripts were not in stock or they were sent away with a partial refill to hold them over until additional supply became available.

My post is not meant to slag the VA. I support them 100% and am grateful for the work they do.

I am certain the problem is industry wide. I'm saying what's coming goes beyond food. Food prices are sky rocketing and availability is a problem I have seldom seen in this country. Most people in this country have forgotten that as recently as 1960 famine killed 100's of thousands (millions?) in China.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads