JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I need beer...how can I get thru this feckless election without mass quantities of the nectar of the gods. How bout some fresh pretzels and a new new mute button for my remote control. Thanks for the rain.

Level 1 Food Shortage Alert: Michael Moore moves into your neighborhood

Level 2 Food Shortage Alert: Michael Moore leaves your neighborhood in search of new food sources

If you are worried about food supplies:

If you have a sunroom or an enclosed porch you can grow there in the winter in pots. you can add whatever lighting is required for what you want to grow as long as the temps get over 60 deg or better. The new LED lights are extremely efficient so you can buy a light that will grow whatever you want and it wont draw very much juice. Windowsills Will keep rosemary thyme and basil year-round. One of my good customers gets a pretty good harvest of lemons and limes out of her sunroom.

Does anyone here have experience with growing food in harsh climates or low-light conditions?

What foods can be produced in Winter conditions? Or in desert conditions?
No personal experience, but my Grandfather when he farmed in North Dakota would till/turn the soil in the mornings to trap the morning dew since water was scarce.

No personal experience, but my Grandfather when he farmed in North Dakota would till/turn the soil in the mornings to trap the morning dew since water was scarce.

Reminds me of this tray that captures dew and channels it to a plant.

Here's a link to their website.

033530B1-1826-49EA-B108-0F5D31972BF0.jpeg

212C6D17-83AA-497C-8162-AA5CD3452580.jpeg

Agreed on the Walipini Greenhouse. Planting below the frost line to protect from freeze damage. Also I'm pretty sure most root vegetables will grow in colder weather.
there is a YT vid somewhere, where a guy had "earth tubes" (look it up) to keep his Walipini greenhouse temperate year round, including when it was well below freezing.

Here it is, found it:

Does anyone here have experience with growing food in harsh climates or low-light conditions?

What foods can be produced in Winter conditions? Or in desert conditions?
Desert, no sweat so long as SOME water is available. Some strains are more hardy, too, for varied conditions like cold, aridity, low sun.. Israel, red China, and Russia have been working on such strains for decades, with varied success.
My Dad was a professional landscape/gardener, we did a lot of work with varied grass strains in the 1950's, '60's and 70's. Many food crops are just grasses, highly developed/evolved. Barley is one tough grass, so is einkorn, there are others. Grass strains were the likely beginning of the Agricultural Revolution, thanks probably to women "gatherers"..... So it was the WIMMINS that chained humanity to the plow and scythe... Personally I prefer to hunt over farming... but Ive done both in my life.....

Last Edited:
Some "food for thought" as the realities of our dependence on soon to fail supply chains becomes stark. My maternal grandmother who survived the Depression as a widow with ten kids grew a subsistence garden heavy on cabbage and root crops until she passed away in 1980.

Has anyone else planted Jerusalem artichokes? I've been told they'll overtake your garden as tuber plants tend to spread rapidly.
We tried them for a few years. VERY prolific and didnt have much of an issue with them taking over (the "nodules" are pretty good size so within a season or 2 pretty easy to pull the stragglers). However the issue we found is actually what to do with them. They are a "good" starch that is actually pretty good for you (say unlike a potato) and the taste is pretty good (kinda nutty flavor), however they really do take your digestive system for a wild ride. Most people experience gas issues and others just gives an upset stomach. Lots of different recipes out there on how to minimize those symptoms, but long story short you really cant eat that much without digestive impacts so we had a hard time finding a use for them since they produce so much but you can only eat a little.

CB51C62C-14FE-4E2E-9E41-CF1B860F06C1.jpeg

However if anybody needs any, PM me for starts if you want to give them a try.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads