JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Both of those should be pretty reliable. With the MK pistols, there's a feedlip mod you can do.
I have had better luck with the newer design mags that supposedly will not fit the earlier guns.
All I had to do was remove the pin that holds the follower and move it to the other side.
These are the mags with the small coil spring under the follower front, not sure of the parts number though.
I'm good with what I have, but that feed lip mod may be of interest to others, post it up!
jmo,

Last Edited:
I had forgotten but for those who get a Ruger MK that is picky it seems often the fix is the extractor. Buddy of mine for YEARS was always pissed about his MKIII. Saying it would not ever feed well with anything. He kept insisting something with the feed ramp design. I for years was trying to get him to find a Smith to ask or send it back as chances are it was something simple. That too many others had the same pistol and no problem. One day another member mentioned trying the extractor. One of the big players in after market stuff offered one that was cheap. Buddy ordered one and said it was simple to do at home. Now after years of cussing the pistol it suddenly was eating up everything he had been hording during that great panic of that time. I then saw on some forum a few owners saying the same thing. So if someone gets hands on a MK that does not want to work its a cheap try.

I have a Sig Sauer .22 Mosquito. Damn thing jams more than it shoots, use only quality CCI mini mag ammo as recommended by Sig, but it is a jam machine. Had a stovepipe jam at the range and the round discharged when trying to unjam it.

What I have noticed on the Sig Mosquito is a small ledge on the feed ramp into the chamber, on a friends Mosquito I radius the ledge and polished the feed ramp until the pistol would run with quality ammo. With the cheap ammo (Thunderbolt and such) it was running about 90% with the better high velocity ammo it was running about +95%

Every surface in the firing area is rough that should be smooth. The slide binds, I really do hate this gun and hate is a strong word. I took it completely apart after mortimer74 posted that defect. Polished the feed ramp with my Dremel with a soft wheel and it shines now. Swapped the recoil spring for the one in the bag from purchase, still had it stored. Took it to a friends house out in rural Sherwood, gripped it with both hands like my life depended upon it, fired 3 rounds, FTF. Just about threw it out into the woods. Was tempted to hang the Mosquito from the target but I didn't want a ricochet.
Took out the P226, shot 21 rounds placed all in the middle of the target, decent grouping at 25'. Going to let Sig decide what to do with this thing. So much time and effort wasted on a cheap gun. I will update this when they inform me of what they want to do with it.
For the money I could have gotten a TX-22 and had no issues. I will find my original receipt for this thing, I keep every one of them.
And I found out that Sig discontinued the 522 rifle in 2015 when researching fixes for this Mosquito, that bummed me out even more. Why discontinue a really good rifle that is fun and cheap to feed? Really glad I have one now.
Going to attempt to radius the ledge tonight, that is a great video. Anything is worth trying, appreciate the videos everyone.

Last Edited:
Another Ruger MK Fan, especially the new MK-IV! Also a fan of the Browning Buckmark, the Colt Woodsman, and High Standard's Citadel! Have heard really good things about the Walther and the M&P series, but haven't ever tried ether one!
Another funky little plinker is the GSG 1911 Compact .22, they run super, but I have head they can be finicky and are pretty spendy for a .22! I got mine lightly used and with a little slicking up, she runs awesome!

I don't do much rimfire shooting at all, but my better half does, and these (PSO1 target pistol and Walther P22 with silencer) work:

1662595511537.png

Cheers. :)

My Ruger Mark 2 runs like a champ.
My Ruger Mark II SS 5.5" Bull Barrel .22 shot many thousands of rounds of .22lr without ever failing to fire or jamming even once. I quit using Thunderbird ammo because it was dirty and and required me to clean the gun more often. but the gun still shot it with complete reliability.

Funny enough, the most reliable .22 pistol I've ever owned is my Taurus TX22 Competition, which has not generally been my experience with guns from that brand. It has happily eaten everything I've given it, from the cheapest ammo up to Eley and Lapua, suppressed and unsuppressed.
My Taurus TX 22 works every time too!!

Ruger mk series except 3. Browning buck mark and the newer smith. Best hundreds of rounds guns. My mk 4 likes cheap Remington or expensive but nothing federal my mark 2 likes all federal and expensive but nothing Remington lol. My browning likes federal blazer and expensive. All like aguila (when it counts)

I inherited the first pistol I ever shot from my uncle when he passed. It is an old Ruge Mark I target pistol. The trigger is amazing and exceedingly accurate. It to me is as fine as they come. The only other 22 I would like to have some day is a nice 4" S&W blued revolver.

The old Colt Woodsmans were also wonderful. I inherited a Colt Woodsman Target, from my mother, one of the guns I learned on. A gun that stayed reliable even though it was used so much nearly all the blueing is worn off. I also had a hi standard target .22 with a long barrel with remove able weights that was totally reliable.

I also had a tiny Jennings that was reliable in its own way...it always jammed on the second shot, so was reliably a single shot. Seems to me that while not all full-size .22 semiautos are reliable, the reliable .22 semi autos are always full size. And tiny .22 semi autos are very unlikely to be reliable.

The old Colt Woodsmans were also wonderful. I inherited a Colt Woodsman Target, from my mother, one of the guns I learned on. A gun that stayed reliable even though it was used so much nearly all the blueing is worn off. I also had a hi standard target .22 with a long barrel with remove able weights that was totally reliable.

I also had a tiny Jennings that was reliable in its own way...it always jammed on the second shot, so was reliably a single shot. Seems to me that while not all full-size .22 semiautos are reliable, the reliable .22 semi autos are always full size. And tiny .22 semi autos are very unlikely to be reliable.
1 exception, Beretta 21a is pretty dang reliable. Other than that one, I have had the same experience. (I have a pre woodsman)

My ruger 22/45 from 2015 has been 100% reliable with anything from subsonic Gemtechs to high velocity ammo.
Suppressed/unsuppressed. One of the best gun purchases I have ever made. I am not sure about round count but it is well in the thousands with all the original parts. It gets cleaned and oiled as needed, including complete teardowns after heavy suppressor use. I would buy another one tomorrow. Mine has a factory threaded bull barrel. Not a Lite model.
I am a huge fan.

1 exception, Beretta 21a is pretty dang reliable.
Ditto this. The few I've shot on and off over the years have been solid. Same results with a similar model (3032) in 7.65㎜ that my better half has shot and carried for years. (I was tempted by a threaded 21 for an easy to pack, suppressed little setup, but I wandered off to some other project.)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top