JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My Ruger MKIV 22lr threaded barrel works perfect
My TX 22 22lr threaded barrel works perfect
My Berretta 92fs 22lr threaded barrel works perfect
I forgot to say they eat everything my Ruger has more rounds through it
It's my go to gun the others are equal an reliable just need to use more happy with all of them

Last Edited:
I have had many, even dozens, of .22 rimfire semi pistols. Most have worked and shot very well.

A few had hiccups that were completely overcome with experimenting to find what ammo made them work. A few had hiccups that were overcome with a little polishing and/or break-in.

Many years later, I've settled on only a few. I have maybe a half dozen of Ruger Standards, MkI's and II's. I have a LCP-.22 And I have a Taurus TX22. These guns are flawless in operation, with good to excellent accuracy. I've gotta say, since I bought the TX22 and LCP-.22, the Ruger Standards and Mk's are almost never used.

We just got back from the range. I shot several guns for accuracy. I'll have to go out again with some better ammo, and a few more .22s just for fun.

The old well-worn Ruger Standard won the day, with a 10-shot 25 yard group measuring 1.2". That's really good for me; I'm not the best shot around and anything under 2" @25yds with a handgun is about my best.

My S&W model 28 put six in 1.7" @25yds. My favorite Model 10 did 2.2". The Taurus TX-22 wasn't so great, at about 4". It's always been very reliable, but it's not a target pistol. We still like it.

I'll take a couple different types of ammo along next time I take it out. I need to practice some more; I haven't done much careful bench shooting lately. I really miss my eyes. Five years ago everything was sharp and clear. Now my sights are getting a bit blurry. They tell me it only gets worse.

Anyone else shot their TX-22 from a rest for accuracy?

Today, I took the S&W MP22 out to play. It was boring. No problems were encountered. Blazer and Fed white box.

BUT, But, but......that's a GOOD THING.

Aloha, Mark

If I were looking for a reliable .22, these three would be my goto's.

Ruger Mark whatever they're up to...IV I think
Browning Buckmark
S&W Victory

I own S&W M&P .22. As long as I run CCI Blazer or Remington Thunderbolts, it runs like a champ. Anything else and it's a jam-o-matic.

Good luck...and may the odds be ever in your favor!

Most folks here wouldn't make this mistake -- but for anyone new to guns, especially semiautos, over lubricating is a good way to cause jams. A friend of mine went shooting with me after he had lent his 9mm to a friend, and after getting it back, cleaned and oiled it thoroughly. The gun was jamming about every third magazine. He was upset because it had never jammed before. When he handed the gun to me to let me try it, gun oil actually dripped from the gun. I handed it back without firing it and told him to take the gun home, break it down, and wipe every part as thoroughly as possible with paper towels. And always finish each cleaning and oiling job by wiping the gun very thouroughly. Excess oil causes jams in many semiautos. Especially if you finish the cleaning using pure gun oil instead of a mix of oil and solvent such as WD-40.

Another vote for the Ruger MK Series, was very reliable with cheap bulk .22LR including thunderbolts.
My Kel-Tec CP33 was reliable as long as I took care to load the magazines correctly and keep them relatively clean.(feed ramp is on the magazines)

call Sig and tell them straight up. You are not at fault for legitimately buying something that malfunctions. Especially something as critical as a hand gun. Any caliber. They owe you a functioning weapon. If that falters. Trade it in at shop for a ruger 22/45. While I certainly agree with the afore mentioned performance and functional reliability of early Mark series (as I own 2 myself). The fieldstrip/takedown of the new 22/45 can't be beat. I'm willing to bet that an early model such as this one, as you stated, has some updated components that have been re-engineered and applied to subsequent versions. And I'm also willing to bet that SIG would much rather repair and update your gun than let you continue to have problems with it. A phone call and or a letter and or an email certainly costs you nothing.

We just got back from the range. I shot several guns for accuracy. I'll have to go out again with some better ammo, and a few more .22s just for fun.

The old well-worn Ruger Standard won the day, with a 10-shot 25 yard group measuring 1.2". That's really good for me; I'm not the best shot around and anything under 2" @25yds with a handgun is about my best.

My S&W model 28 put six in 1.7" @25yds. My favorite Model 10 did 2.2". The Taurus TX-22 wasn't so great, at about 4". It's always been very reliable, but it's not a target pistol. We still like it.

I'll take a couple different types of ammo along next time I take it out. I need to practice some more; I haven't done much careful bench shooting lately. I really miss my eyes. Five years ago everything was sharp and clear. Now my sights are getting a bit blurry. They tell me it only gets worse.

Anyone else shot their TX-22 from a rest for accuracy?
See post #135

See post #135
Yes, I saw that. Your post about accuracy issues is what inspired me to sit down with mine again and see what kind of accuracy I could wring out of it. I was wondering if anyone else had similar accuracy problems, or had seriously tested theirs.

Is yours an early gun? They had a batch of bad barrels, and I suspect that you got one. I'm not too happy with 4" at 25 yards. 4" at 10 yards is completely unacceptable.

Yes, I saw that. Your post about accuracy issues is what inspired me to sit down with mine again and see what kind of accuracy I could wring out of it. I was wondering if anyone else had similar accuracy problems, or had seriously tested theirs.

Is yours an early gun? They had a batch of bad barrels, and I suspect that you got one. I'm not too happy with 4" at 25 yards. 4" at 10 yards is completely unacceptable.
My barrel wasn't one of the ones that were bad, machining looks great. I think they sacrificed precision in leu of reliability. When mine is in battery, unloaded of course, I can wiggle the barrel. If the barrel moves any at all then it's not lined up with the sights. It is still a fun gun but I don't waste any premium ammo on it. With the suppressor attached, it gets way worse, the movement in the barrel that is. I enjoy shooting steel at 50 yards with my rimfire a but don't even bother with the TX, as there's no way to be consistent. I'm not trying to bash it but it really does have some very bad shortcomings in the accuracy dept.

My sig mosquito was doing the same thing. Stove piped every 3 or 4 shots. I was about to use it as a boat anchor. I sent it back to sig with an explanation of the problem. They returned it after a short time and it has never stove piped a single round since. It will eat anything I put through it. I am not sure what they did exactly but It is great now.
They offered to take it today for $50 shipping back and forth. I'll do it since it cost me like $225 to purchase. Hopefully they can "fix" mine like they did yours. Appreciate the feedback on the service since I'll be packing this one up today to ship to Sig Corporate.

RE : Post #146

My take on Gun oil (or even grease).

For me......
Speaking of semi-auto firearms.......
Some guns sort of has/have to be run wet (then/or, the gun likes to be run wet).
The AR-15 is perhaps an example there.

BUT, But, but......truthfully, I don't run my AR all wet. YEAH....maybe NOT having a "happy switch" has a lot to do with it.

Anyway........
Speaking of sliding parts (that rub together). Grease is more, my friend. Cheap axle grease is GTG. Or if you wanna spend more money, try the synthetic Super Lube style of grease/lube.

The oil is mostly used as a "light/very light coat". To hopefully prevent rust from forming on metal parts. I use synthetic 0w-20 motor oil. Same as I use for the Toyota Prius. Beware of some of the "dino types" of oils (even with the brand name "gun oils").....it might just congeal on your firearms. Making for a sticky mess or worst. Perhaps one day......your firing pin may not set off a primer. Trust me......you don't want to hear about that story.

Knowing how much (oil and grease) is too much......is HELPFUL.

Sooooo.......
Its' probably best to say.......
Take YOUR guns out of the closet/safe and go practice some. You might just learn a thing or two.....about the oils/grease that you're using with your particular firearms. What is likes and doesn't like. YEAH....and that also goes for your ammo too.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....Post #152
Good luck with that. I hope that it all works out for you.

Last Edited:
Another vote for the Taurus TX22. I really wanted to hate this pistol given the poor reputation the Taurus has (and really wanted to love the Glock G44), but after watching hours of YouTube reviews decided this was the best route. I've put over 400 rounds of mixed ammo through it and never had any hiccup. I've even tried to get it to malfunction by loading mixed ammo in one magazine and it ate it all without a single problem. I have heard of some QC issues with them that Taurus has always made right. Best part is, you can usually find them for under $300.

E774E052-03A0-4DDA-8618-7AAF5115CA3B.jpeg

Another vote for the Taurus TX22. I really wanted to hate this pistol given the poor reputation the Taurus has (and really wanted to love the Glock G44), but after watching hours of YouTube reviews decided this was the best route. I've put over 400 rounds of mixed ammo through it and never had any hiccup. I've even tried to get it to malfunction by loading mixed ammo in one magazine and it ate it all without a single problem. I have heard of some QC issues with them that Taurus has always made right. Best part is, you can usually find them for under $300.

View attachment 1275489
They are reliable for sure, I've shot several thousand through mine suppressed. It's VERY dirty! I lube it occasionally when I feel bad for it but it keeps chugging along. I just wish it was more accurate. I like the design of my Ruger 22/45's as the sights are fixed to the barrel and the barrel doesn't move. A very stable platform. The TX is better for training with similar other semi auto pistols.

I have a Sig Sauer .22 Mosquito. Damn thing jams more than it shoots, use only quality CCI mini mag ammo as recommended by Sig, but it is a jam machine. Had a stovepipe jam at the range and the round discharged when trying to unjam it. I treat all guns as death bringers, so it was aimed safe down range and the round went into soil, but it still scared and stunned me at what a low quality hand gun this is. I know the Mosquito is not really a Sig, but does anyone know of a .22 pistol that doesn't jam and actually will shoot more than just certain high quality .22 ammo? I have two .22 rifles, a Sig 522 and a Ruger 10/22 and they eat any ammo I feed them, never jam, never misfire.
Yup I had the mosquito and it was a jam-o-matic no matter the ammo I fed it, no matter the amount of polishing whatever internals. From my experience the p322, m&p22 both full size and compact, and the Taurus Tx-22 work with what you feed them.

I bought mine before the revelation of the crappy barrels. Fortunately, my barrel is perfect. But for the folks with a bad barrel, Taurus has been replacing them. I'd give it a try, if you haven't addressed it already.

editorial... I don't normally think very highly of anything TAURUS. It was because of the glowing reports, and the fact that they're American made, (which I still don't understand that relationship), that I bought the TX22. And because of my dismal disappointment with my Glock 44, (didn't have anything to lose).

I thoroughly enjoy and appreciate my TX22.

I hope and wish Taurus could get it together with their other offerings. I know folks that love them, but I'm not ready for that disappointment again.

I hope and wish Taurus could get it together with their other offerings. I know folks that love them, but I'm not ready for that disappointment again.
I've been kinda liking on their Raging Hunter/Bull series handguns (and they generally have pretty decent reviews on those). Also, I highly like my TX22 and would recommend them without any hesitation.

Last Edited:
Yup I had the mosquito and it was a jam-o-matic no matter the ammo I fed it, no matter the amount of polishing whatever internals. From my experience the p322, m&p22 both full size and compact, and the Taurus Tx-22 work with what you feed them.
Could not agree more. Polished the crap out of the firing chamber, same issues. 4th round of the 10 stove piped and has a nice strike on the bullet. So I know it's trying to fire, but that is what caused the original hazard and why it went off when I was trying to unjam it aggressively. This thread has reinforced that the Mosquito is a poorly built handgun and the operator is not at fault.
If my P226 my old Kimber 1911 .45 and my Glock Model 19 all work with no issues, it is certainly not my holding the Mosquito "loose", it is that one gun that has a built in malfunction. I do appreciate all the Mosquito specific experiences and all the great reviews of every other better model of .22 handguns.
Sig is supposed to send me the shipping label and directions this work week to send it back to them. I will update this thread when they return it to me or tell me it's a RMA type of deal.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top