JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The old Colt Woodsmans were also wonderful. I inherited a Colt Woodsman Target, from my mother, one of the guns I learned on. A gun that stayed reliable even though it was used so much nearly all the blueing is worn off. I also had a hi standard target .22 with a long barrel with remove able weights that was totally reliable.

I also had a tiny Jennings that was reliable in its own way...it always jammed on the second shot, so was reliably a single shot. Seems to me that while not all full-size .22 semiautos are reliable, the reliable .22 semi autos are always full size. And tiny .22 semi autos are very unlikely to be reliable.
The rimed round .22 was always a LOT harder for the manufacturers to make reliable in mouse guns. It did not help that so many of them over the years have been VERY cheaply made. When you get into some of the more expensive ones they were able to make them work. Of course the ultra cheap pot metal models always sold well because they were so cheap. Many who bought them seldom actually shot them.

I bought a new sig mosquito several years back. Before I shot it we were talking about them on another forum.
Probably 75% negative reports.
When a gut wrote that he sold his JAMOMATIC I sold my jamomatic new in the box unfired.
I when with two Ruget Mark 2 pistols. Never a problem and they shoot any ammo I happen to pick up.

Here is my eleven year old grandson's target with the ten inch Ruger Mark 2 from a couple of weeks ago.
Twenty yards. He rested the but on a table, no barrel rest.

20220828_131057.jpg

Friend's Heritage .22 cylinder stops rotating after second or third round of 40gr Aquila brand ammo. Examining brass shows malformed area at base of case. Plan on trying different brands of ammo. Not sure of terminology, but seems like a gap between the brass and surface around firing pin allows pressure towards back of cylinder. Malformed brass twisted base sticks up maybe a thousandth above cylinder face. Should we just contact manufacturer of gun?

Post #45
Update Tandemkross recoil spring for P22

So, today the new recoil spring arrived and I got it installed. But, I noticed that the thread protector was loose. Yeah, when was the last time I even cleaned this pistol?

Anyway, since I have it field stripped.....the P22 got a cleaning.

Now, back to the "problem".

Yeah.....the thread protector was lose and wasn't threading all the way down to hold the barrel steady/locked. I had to (using the thread protector) slowly (back and forth with some Kroil) screw and unscrew the thread protector, to re-establish the correct threads. Be very careful if you have this problem.

LOL. Will I loose accuracy? Will it unscrew again, at an inopportune time?

I'm confident that it'll work. But then, I haven't shot it yet.....maybe this weekend.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....BTW, I don't use a suppressor. So.....in all likelihood, the thread protector "shot itself loose".

Last Edited:
RE : Post #127
Loctight

I hear you.
However.....
For the record, I hope that you never have this "problem" with a stuck thread protector/adapter.

Start your viewing at 10:28

That being said......
The Walther P22 CA is said to have the "threaded protector" without the wrench flats and "glued" to the barrel.

Yeah.......CA is doing it's part to protect the public from gangbangers who wish to attach an evil silencer (or maybe bayonet) to the threads.

Are_you_serious.jpg

Cough.....cough......

Aloha, Mark

PS.....I haven't tried it yet. But maybe, purple loctite is in order here? Anyway......do what you like. It's your firearm.

BTW.....I use purple loctite on those small screws (on my Colt SAA) that tend to "loosen up".

Last Edited:
RE : A "stuck" thread protector and how to remove it.
And, getting it ready. To add a suppressor.

Hey...that's on a S&W MP22.

Yup....but it's the same principal.

BTW.....I took the Walther P22 to the range today and it worked nicely with the new "Sentenial" Stainless Steel Captured Spring Guide Rod from Tandemkross. It also makes reassembly of the pistol easier vs the old factory (uncaptured spring and guide rod) arrangement. Thumbs Up to Tandemkross.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
I have a Sig Sauer .22 Mosquito. Damn thing jams more than it shoots, use only quality CCI mini mag ammo as recommended by Sig, but it is a jam machine. Had a stovepipe jam at the range and the round discharged when trying to unjam it. I treat all guns as death bringers, so it was aimed safe down range and the round went into soil, but it still scared and stunned me at what a low quality hand gun this is. I know the Mosquito is not really a Sig, but does anyone know of a .22 pistol that doesn't jam and actually will shoot more than just certain high quality .22 ammo? I have two .22 rifles, a Sig 522 and a Ruger 10/22 and they eat any ammo I feed them, never jam, never misfire.

I have a Sig Sauer .22 Mosquito. Damn thing jams more than it shoots, use only quality CCI mini mag ammo as recommended by Sig, but it is a jam machine. Had a stovepipe jam at the range and the round discharged when trying to unjam it. I treat all guns as death bringers, so it was aimed safe down range and the round went into soil, but it still scared and stunned me at what a low quality hand gun this is. I know the Mosquito is not really a Sig, but does anyone know of a .22 pistol that doesn't jam and actually will shoot more than just certain high quality .22 ammo? I have two .22 rifles, a Sig 522 and a Ruger 10/22 and they eat any ammo I feed them, never jam, never misfire.

I shot a Ruger Mark III for a dozen years with thousands of rounds shot. Accurate and fun to shoot. However, over time it's reliability dropped significantly so that even after a full strip down and deep clean the next time it went to the range it would start having issues again. I talked to a gun smith and several other knowledgeable people about it. Nobody could give me a good answer why. The gun smith did a couple of ultrasonic cleanings over the last couple of years, and insisted all parts inside were in perfect order. I was very particular about thoroughly cleaning and lubricating per the owner's manual. Finally in frustration I sold it and bought a Taurus TX22. I love the Taurus. Fun, reliable, and shoots whatever ammo I put through it. I've put more than a thousand rounds though it with excellent reliability. Grip feels great in the hand, nice sights, crisp trigger, and with a 16 round magazine it makes a great practice gun to pare with your defensive pistol (i.e. 9mm, etc.). I have a couple of Sig Sauers, but was scared off from buying a Mosquito because of the many reports of reliability issues. Ruger Mark IV seems like nice guns, but after my experience with the Mark III I was feeling a little burned by Ruger. Smith & Wesson Victory also seems like a nice gun, but I've heard disassembly & cleaning are a hassle (like the old Browning Buck Marks are fun to shoot but a real pain in the butt to strip & clean). I value quality guns, and have some expensive ones in my gun safe. However, I have nothing but praise for this relatively inexpensive Taurus.

Everyone has different experiences. My first gun was a MKII 22/45, so far it has an absolute honest 50k-60k rounds through it, all original aside from a fluke deal on my part. I reinstalled a pin incorrectly and needed a new one. Since then I've acquired several more Rugers, as well as other brand 22's but none can match overall value. I also own a Taurus TX22, it is very reliable and I love the 16 round mags. But that's where my likes end. If one looks how the barrel locks up upon closing the slide every time it's a crapshoot. The gun is absolutely worthless beyond 15 yards, and I mean worthless. It only gets worse after attaching a suppressor, which is the reason I bought the pistol to begin with. The slide never closes in the same spot, the sights are attached to the slide so no point at all in aiming. I cannot be the only person who shoots their TX22 beyond 15 yards and is happy with a five inch group rested at 10 yards.

Once Taurus sent me a new barrel, mine shoots reasonably well. It's been a while since I've shot it for accuracy, but as I recall I was getting about 5" groups at 25 yards. That's nothing to brag about, and would be pretty disappointing for a quality gun, but it's good enough for our purposes. Maybe next time I get out I'll take several different guns and compare them for groups at 25 yards.

I have to wonder sometimes when I hear people talk about how accurate their gun is because they can hit a target at 5, 7, or 10 yards. I saw a post on another site where someone asked if their pistol accuracy from a bench was acceptable (4" at 10 yards). Several others replied that that's pretty good. Yeah, no, not really. It's a decent start for a beginner, but not what I would consider "good accuracy".

Accuracy of my afore mentioned Ruger Mark II 5.5" bull barrel .22. The shall issue law happened in Oregon, and I took a course to qualify for the training requirement for getting my CHP. It was a course for people already experienced. The first day, among other things, they let us use our own .22 pistols. First exercise was shooting 11 rounds into a target that was an unmarked piece of 8.5 x 11" paper at 50'. It was from bench rest setup, but without any supports for the gun. So it was basically a stable sitting position of the same sort one could get behind a log in the woods, not bench rest. I had the standard stock adjustable open sights.

Ten of my shots formed a 1/2" group in the exact center of the sheet of paper. Just a ragged hole. The one flier opened the group out to 3/4". Remember--an unmarked sheet of paper, with no targets or aiming points on it. So I was just guesstimating where the middle of the paper was. And I am by no means a competition shooter. It was actually the only time I ever fired that gun at a range, instead of outdoors in the woods at magic marker targets.on paper plates or the occasional rabbit. The gun was stock except I had had a gunsmith lighten and smooth the trigger a little. The stock trigger was excellent but I'm fussy about triggers.

We had to sign and turn in our paper target. As we handed them in, the instructor grabbed mine out and said, "You've done this before!" :)

Accuracy of my afore mentioned Ruger Mark II 5.5" bull barrel .22. The shall issue law happened in Oregon, and I took a course to qualify for the training requirement for getting my CHP. It was a course for people already experienced. The first day, among other things, they let us use our own .22 pistols. First exercise was shooting 11 rounds into a target that was an unmarked piece of 8.5 x 11" paper at 50'. It was from bench rest setup, but without any supports for the gun. So it was basically a stable sitting position of the same sort one could get behind a log in the woods, not bench rest. I had the standard stock adjustable open sights.

Ten of my shots formed a 1/2" group in the exact center of the sheet of paper. Just a ragged hole. The one flier opened the group out to 3/4". Remember--an unmarked sheet of paper, with no targets or aiming points on it. So I was just guesstimating where the middle of the paper was. And I am by no means a competition shooter. It was actually the only time I ever fired that gun at a range, instead of outdoors in the woods at magic marker targets.on paper plates or the occasional rabbit. The gun was stock except I had had a gunsmith lighten and smooth the trigger a little. The stock trigger was excellent but I'm fussy about triggers.

We had to sign and turn in our paper target. As we handed them in, the instructor grabbed mine out and said, "You've done this before!" :)
With open sights at that range that is good shooting. I can do that with my MK's BUT, only using optics. With irons no way these days. :D
Couple decades back when I bought the MKII for the Wife I bought a mount to put a Red Dot on it. Took it to the range using a rest and it showed me that when I miss it sure as hell was not the guns or ammo at fault :s0140:

My sig mosquito was doing the same thing. Stove piped every 3 or 4 shots. I was about to use it as a boat anchor. I sent it back to sig with an explanation of the problem. They returned it after a short time and it has never stove piped a single round since. It will eat anything I put through it. I am not sure what they did exactly but It is great now.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top