JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Because IM 1,000,000 % positive that nobody would have suggested the Ruger MK pistols. :rolleyes: :D
I don't have a revolver yet… but soon!

4FC2F603-0E97-4166-BBDF-436E867C26C3.jpeg 664D64E4-0B21-4D1F-96A3-9BD5C494DFF2.jpeg 0B6DA3B6-793C-4A1D-9213-58AFA29FFC66.jpeg

Over the years I've know many shooters that have a problem with their 22 semi auto pistols and many that have no problems at all with the very same pistols…. Very often it seems that the "design flaw" is often in the wrist of the shooter coming "loose".

Over the years I've know many shooters that have a problem with their 22 semi auto pistols and many that have no problems at all with the very same pistols…. Very often it seems that the "design flaw" is often in the wrist of the shooter coming "loose".
Except that every Mosquito that I have seen has been very ammo picky. Went through 4 or 5 types on the last one I dealt with to find one it liked.

I have about two dozen 22 pistols....I can't think of any one that isn't reliable. Some had issues that I resolved. They are all good to go.
Oddly, several have shot and cycled extremely well with CCI Standard Velocity.

Joe

I echo the opinions regarding the Ruger MK series, mine is a MK 3 22/45 and it is pretty reliable with high velocity ammo, but it does occasionally struggle with hollow points. I believe the feed ramp is a little short, but I don't want to send it back to Ruger, since it has a couple Tandemkross and Volquartsen parts in it. My S&W M&P 22 Compact is even more reliable than the Ruger, with everything except Norma TAC-22 and Winchester ammo. (I quit buying current manufactured Winchester rimfire ammo, IMO it is garbage.)
Of course, the vintage Colts are reliable, but almost too valuable to shoot. 😞

View attachment 1271528
Another person that says Winchester ammo is crap, you are right. My military friend in CA says that all the time. He has a collection of fire arms and he tells me don't buy Winchester anything ammo, it all sucks. He would know, and you also. It's a fact, I have issues all the time with the plain box ammo from them.
Love seeing a Colt, I don't fire the stainless Colt, that was an insurance picture. I have cut way back on shooting the blue one also. You are so right on the value outweighing shooting them frequently.

Ruger MK series are the pistol equivalent of the Ruger 10/22 in rifle form.

If I was interested in owning more .22lr pistols, those would be the only ones I would buy.

View attachment 1271381

BUT, But, but......
I've HEARD THAT.......
Certain lots of ammo because they are good enough to pass muster will be regulated to the "better lines" of their ammo. While the "rejected lots" will be passed off to be sold as "bulk ammo".

If that is TRUE......do other companies do it too?

Yeah.......what do I know about how anything works. But, it's not like I see the various companies selling off their "rejects/2nds".

Aloha, Mark
I have often wondered that same thing. Since often the bulk ammo and the stuff in boxes, with the same name on it, looks exactly the same, boxed stuff works fine, bulk stuff will not :confused:
Rem and Win. both seem to work this way. There has got to be something going on at the plant. ???

While looking at TandemKross upgrade stuff I found this tool that can purchased for pretty cheap ($30). I was unaware of this and maybe it's not a thing but might be worth a try on your Sig. According to the page, dry firing a rimfire can cause firing pin impacts to the chamber and this hand swaging tool will remove them. Lots of reviews indicating that it worked for them to fix feed/ejection issues...or maybe the Sig is just a POS.

Never heard of those but sure sounds like an interesting little tool.

Humm......this got me thinking about reliability and about the 22LR ammo prices.

So say it this way. Speaking of ME. How cheap I am, and how (most of the time) 25 yards is good enough and accuracy only has to be "minuet of can".

BTW.....I usually/generally buy American Made and 40 grn lead bullets, for my 22LR. It would be a rare occasion for me to buy, one box at a time and I don't normally like the .36-38 grn, HP or plated bullets.

Whatever......
It's good to have a "choice".

So anyway, take a look at most any web sight and compare some prices. Example : Sportsman's Warehouse web sight today.

CCI Mini Mags = $0.13 a round
CCI Blazer = $0.10 a round
CCI Std Velocity = $0.10 a round
Fed Auto Match = $0.09 a round
Rem Golden Bullet 525 bulk = $0.08 a round
Rem Thunderbolt 500 bulk = $0.09 a round
Winchester M22 = $0.09 a round
Winchester 525 Bulk = 0.09 a round

Of course.....prices will vary from seller to seller, some ammo might come with free shipping (by the case) and promotion/sales are to be considered too. So then.....like I said....."I'm cheap".

Why should I/would I buy CCI mini mags for a "Plinking 22LR Pistol" if they were the ONLY rounds to work (maybe sometimes) out of my pistol?

Yeah.....to each his own. Besides.....some people......don't like my choice of Remington 22LR for my Walther P22. They say it's "dirty".

Whatever.....
BUT, it works.

Aloha, Mark
I for a long time used to go to K-Mart, back before we could mail order ammo, and buy what they had on sale by the case. Had the same idea, it was just for fun so cheap. Later I got far less patient with clearing jams and miss fires. So finally just started buying CCI MM. Certainly nothing wrong with saving a few bucks buy buying the cheapest stuff around for the "fun". That damn stuff the Wife bought a decade or so back though really was too much for me. Black and gold box, marked Valu Pack. At the 50ft range the accuracy is so bad it really stands out, when the damn stuff will even fire. I tried for a long time to take some each range session just to use it up but I could no longer stand it 🤬

Another person that says Winchester ammo is crap, you are right. My military friend in CA says that all the time. He has a collection of fire arms and he tells me don't buy Winchester anything ammo, it all sucks. He would know, and you also. It's a fact, I have issues all the time with the plain box ammo from them.
Love seeing a Colt, I don't fire the stainless Colt, that was an insurance picture. I have cut way back on shooting the blue one also. You are so right on the value outweighing shooting them frequently.
When the last couple panic shortages were going on I bought a LOT of the Win .22 ammo in sleeves. Never a problem there. I did stop bothering with the bulk stuff of theirs. I used to for a long time buy the "White Box" in other ammo from them and never a problem but, I read so many horror stories about the stuff that I just stopped buying it. One real disaster was that USA steel case 9mm stuff of theirs. Since I no longer bother to roll 9 I tried some and it was great. Then one day I get to range and stuff sounds "off". Then I got a couple hang fire's. Felt almost like shooting a flint lock. Then a couple duds. I had several hundred rounds of the stuff with me and that much more at home. Sadly I had dumped the stuff in a container to take to the range so no way to know if what I had there was the same lot# as what was at home. So I just dumped it all in the trash. That was the last time Win ammo was bought by me. Still burns me. 🤬

I for a long time used to go to K-Mart, back before we could mail order ammo, and buy what they had on sale by the case. Had the same idea, it was just for fun so cheap. Later I got far less patient with clearing jams and miss fires. So finally just started buying CCI MM. Certainly nothing wrong with saving a few bucks buy buying the cheapest stuff around for the "fun". That damn stuff the Wife bought a decade or so back though really was too much for me. Black and gold box, marked Valu Pack. At the 50ft range the accuracy is so bad it really stands out, when the damn stuff will even fire. I tried for a long time to take some each range session just to use it up but I could no longer stand it 🤬
K-Mart, CCI Stingers for $1.77 for 50. Bought probably 50,000 of those, still find them all the time around my storage areas. Still have some, fired a bunch at the range to see if they still worked, these were purchased in 1981. Every single one fired clean from the Sig 522 rifle. K-mart was great for ammo. Bought a Remington 870 Express pump shotgun there for $120. Still have that one, solid wood stock, you know the old time grain. Shoot that one about once a year to make sure it gets worked. I'm old, 54 tomorrow.

K-Mart, CCI Stingers for $1.77 for 50. Bought probably 50,000 of those, still find them all the time around my storage areas. Still have some, fired a bunch at the range to see if they still worked, these were purchased in 1981. Every single one fired clean from the Sig 522 rifle. K-mart was great for ammo. Bought a Remington 870 Express pump shotgun there for $120. Still have that one, solid wood stock, you know the old time grain. Shoot that one about once a year to make sure it gets worked. I'm old, 54 tomorrow.
Wife and I bought a few guns from them over the years. Before they let us order ammo I used to buy a LOT of ammo there. Store chain went through a couple management changes and they ran it right into the ground. Must have been over 20 years ago I last set foot in the ones we had here. Service got so bad I just walked out empty handed a couple times leaving the stuff I wanted behind. Last ones here got boarded up a few years ago. I was surprised to see them hang on as long as they did it got so damn bad in there. :(

I have a Sig Sauer .22 Mosquito. Damn thing jams more than it shoots, use only quality CCI mini mag ammo as recommended by Sig, but it is a jam machine. Had a stovepipe jam at the range and the round discharged when trying to unjam it. I treat all guns as death bringers, so it was aimed safe down range and the round went into soil, but it still scared and stunned me at what a low quality hand gun this is. I know the Mosquito is not really a Sig, but does anyone know of a .22 pistol that doesn't jam and actually will shoot more than just certain high quality .22 ammo? I have two .22 rifles, a Sig 522 and a Ruger 10/22 and they eat any ammo I feed them, never jam, never misfire.
I bought my wife (ex now) a Sig Mosquito a few years back, the trigger on that thing was similar to a K-Mart knock off Nerf gun 🤣. Personally It never crossed my mind that a company like Sig would manufacture something like that. I carried a Sig Sauer P-220 as my duty weapon while employed with a city dept (one of the few that allowed units to choose their own sidearm) back in 1997-2000 or so, and loved that pistol. It ran smooth and felt great, the mosquito..not so much. As far as one that functions, i have a browning Buckmark that is a tack driver. It as never met a .22 round it wouldn't cycle, and requires minimal service, great 22 pistol in my opinion.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top