JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Trunk gun options

• Cheap PSA 10.5" 5.56 pistol

Votes: 21 42.0%
  • Used 12 gauge pump

Votes: 29 58.0%

• Total voters
Oh these discussions become so rhetorical.:s0093:

But I still get sucked in.

I don't see much usefulness for an AR pistol. But that's just me. A collapsed M4 is bigger, but is sure a whole lot more useful.

Back to the topic...my answer would be both, if that was a choice. But since it's not a listed choice, my choice would be the shotgun. An 18-1/2" pump with rifle sights is pretty handy, and will accomplish just about anything in a survival, hunting, or SD situation.

When I'm planning on a rural trip, I nearly always have a long gun with me. I've got lots of choices at my disposal, but more times than not, if I really want to pack minimally, it's my 870 with sights.

GEDC0052-zps76cb1f5a.jpg

I am planning on a fairly cheap PSA 16 midlength build as a truck gun. I agree with others that carrying a loaded AR pistol 24/7 is asking for trouble. When going inna woods I carry a 10.5" 300 blk AR pistol loaded in the vehicle.

I also carry a single shot ultra light .22.

I considered using my .300blk 10.5" braced pistol as my "truck gun" at one time for the same reason a lot of people in the thread have posted (the ability to keep it loaded since it's a pistol), but after quite a few of my friends who happen to be in law enforcement commented "nice SBR" on range trips I decided that carrying it might be a real hassle if I ever had to explain myself to the police or the courts.

More so with a 'firearm' like the Shockwave. A lot of people know about AR pistols, less about a braced pistol, less again about a Shockwave and fewer yet about a braced Shockwave.

2uhvdw9.jpg

That is one of the downsides about these. Even without the brace many people think it is a sawed off shotgun. There is nothing on the Mossbergs that says anything except that it is a Mossberg 590. Someday somebody in DC may pass an amendment to the GCA or NFA to make it an SBS or AOW.

My truck gun is a 1938 Winchester model 1894 Trapper length barrel 16 1/4" in 30-30 holds 6 in the tube. I keep 125gr FP HP loaded hot. As well as 2 boxes of 20. I figure this has a clean kill range on a human or dear sized target to 200 yards And on something bigger maybe 100 yards. On a charging Black Bear thinking 25-50 yards (right there in the pucker factor range). I can load it quickly I have over 50 years of experiance shooting the platform (I started deer hunting with a model 94 at age 11 and had had months of range time prior to that) I'm 61. Of course the truck this goes in a 48 Willys jeep so think SMALL. I also will keep a 9mm handgun in the vehicle when needed.

This is a Mossberg 590 I keep in my vehicle sometimes. I have a bandolier of slugs and buckshot and I keep a magazine tube wort of shells in the side saddle to load it quickly. If I were to do it over, I'd just get the velcro shell cards instead and put a strip of stick-on velcro on the receiver.

AFC52F66-6B56-43EB-9ACB-6754E96AE2EE.jpeg

Threw a Winchester 30-30 lever action in a trunk for about 2 weeks on a long elk hunting trip. Long story short, I Had to have it reblued:confused: If i were ever tempted to put a firearm in a trunk of a car again, it definitely wont be pretty or expensive. And I won't leave it back there for 2 weeks straight:D

12ga.

Ruger American Ranch that takes AR mags is what I'm considering for a truck gun. Compact, light, accurate and cheap. Throw a cheap optic and a stock pouch with a mag or two on it and toss it behind your seat.

I voted shotgun. That said a few cheap lowers would take priority in the current political climate. Shotguns versatility is hard to deny as it can take game as small as a dove or as large as the northwest gets. It can also be argued its one of the best home defense guns.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top