JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Trunk gun options

• Cheap PSA 10.5" 5.56 pistol

Votes: 21 42.0%
  • Used 12 gauge pump

Votes: 29 58.0%

• Total voters
I hope this is the right place for this post. I also know that there are many similar threads to this. Looking for some insight on a potential next purchase.

I'm split minded between
-10.5 inch ar pistol built using this PSA kit (or similar). With an Aero lower. Running irons only.
PSA 10.5" 5.56 NATO 1/7 Nitride Classic Shockwave Pistol Kit, Black - 5165449715

Or

-12 gauge 870/500 or other 18.5/20 inch shotgun. Most likely used to save costs

Either would be my "backup" road trip/camping/trunk gun. I EDC a P229 (9mm) and have an Aero M5E1 (.308) as a primary long arm with a 4.5-14 optic. I'm not unwilling to keep taking the M5, but I'm interested in getting something a little cheaper. I also have a .22 rifle.
I couldn't help but notice that yo spelled "Benelli m4" wrong. :D

Generally I would prefer the AR for the roles you list. But if a camping gun were going to be needed for bear, then I'd probably rather have a 12 gauge with slugs. Sorry Yogi.

Is this case supposed to be air tight? Don't know where you live, but anywhere west of ohh let's say the high cascade range, humidity is a mother%*^#%. Guns and humidity don't mix.... btw, I Don't know of any air tight rifle cases for under 75$

I live in the Puget Sound area and have guns in my vehicle year-round as a part of my job. None of them show any corrosion. Plenty of wear, but no corrosion. I depend on them, so I make sure not to neglect them. I keep a small kit with me everywhere I go that includes a silicone cloth, gun oil, and a horse-hair paint brush. Those hairs are hollow and hold oil well. I make sure to brush away fingerprints and other things that causes surface rust.

The case is just to keep something from getting banged around.

12 gauge, if there's room in the vehicle. Good for everything from birds on up.

I picked this one up for $120 awhile back. Never have had any problems with it.

BAED5D28-87FE-4E4B-834C-0FF4205EE3EC.jpeg

Either would be my "backup" road trip/camping/trunk gun. I EDC a P229 (9mm) and have an Aero M5E1 (.308) as a primary long arm with a 4.5-14 optic. I'm not unwilling to keep taking the M5, but I'm interested in getting something a little cheaper. I also have a .22 rifle.

Well here is my 2 cents:

Because of the way Washington and Oregon view the world the shotgun is the less offensive of the two but I voted for the AR pistol.

I understand the whole "stranded on an island" the shotgun is a can do it all type gun but here is my problem. It is heavy, bulky and have you ever tried to carry 100 rounds of shotgun shells all day long while hiking, they take up a lot of room and are heavy.

I can carry 4 30 round mags (120 rounds) for an AR in most pockets of a back pack or in a pouch attached to molly gear on a drop leg or on a belt with ease.

You state it would be for "backup" road trip/camping/trunk gun nowhere does it say hunting/bear protection so I get the true intention for the gun is more a SHTF get home or out of dodge type firearm. In this case I would still go with the AR pistol as in my opinion it is more suited for the job.

In the past I would have agreed with the shotgun and I have a couple but in reality I would never go to it in a bad situation unless it was all I had because of the weight as a whole package.

You got to make the choice based on your true need/intended use for the firearm.

Good luck

Well in a way, I ended up with both. Bought a lower and 2 mags that will eventually be a 5.56 rifle or pistol.
And Friday I pick up a used 500 from my LGS that they just took in.

Well I missed this one.
But I did read a few post.
12 ga shot gun with slugs or buck shot .
Is a great choice for almost anytime self-defense wise .
EXCEPT if there is some sort of distance involved.then even a AR pistol would be better .
I have said it before.
But if you read the police report from the Shooting in California a few years ago .there plans where to kill people at his work.
Then get on the freeway .set off pipe bombs.
Create a traffic jam on the freeway.
Then go car to car and kill people.
So if you are stuck in that situation what do you want a AR or a 12ga .
If you are close you want a 12ga but if you happened to back away you would want a AR
SO MY VOTE.
I would take the AR .it works UP CLOSE.
and FROM A DISTANCE.

So as most know where I live I have to use the Washington state ferry system a lot.
And every time I drive on the ferry .
As soon as I park my car or truck I take my pistol out and put it on my lap
And look in the mirrors and watch around me at all times and I have a AR pistol on the back seat.
The ferry system here In WASHINGTON IS A FLOATING DEATH TRAP .
JUSY SAYING

I came across this the other day, albeit of unknown quality, but a truck gun maybe, add a sleeve on the stock with extra rounds?
(Russia) Baikal Arms MP 94 , a 24 inch barrel, 12-gauge (likely no choke) over a .(among other calibers) .223 under, or 3o8 or....
like this but I think I wound do with out the scope
1.jpg
But I have my old single shot 12 ga. with slugs and shot on the side that's worked for decades as my truck gun.

I hope this is the right place for this post. I also know that there are many similar threads to this. Looking for some insight on a potential next purchase.

I'm split minded between
-10.5 inch ar pistol built using this PSA kit (or similar). With an Aero lower. Running irons only.
PSA 10.5" 5.56 NATO 1/7 Nitride Classic Shockwave Pistol Kit, Black - 5165449715

Or

-12 gauge 870/500 or other 18.5/20 inch shotgun. Most likely used to save costs

I missed it too...

Congrats to the OP.

What is your 22 caliber rifle?

I would go for a 22lr Henry large loop carbine - lever action rifle.(Real walnut/blued.)

or

a Savage Rascal 22lr bolt action - single shot rifle. (Black composite/blued.)

You will always have your conceal or open carry handgun with you, right?

Cate

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads