JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Trunk gun options

• Cheap PSA 10.5" 5.56 pistol

Votes: 21 42.0%
  • Used 12 gauge pump

Votes: 29 58.0%

• Total voters
Oh these discussions become so rhetorical.:s0093:

But I still get sucked in.

I don't see much usefulness for an AR pistol. But that's just me. A collapsed M4 is bigger, but is sure a whole lot more useful.

Back to the topic...my answer would be both, if that was a choice. But since it's not a listed choice, my choice would be the shotgun. An 18-1/2" pump with rifle sights is pretty handy, and will accomplish just about anything in a survival, hunting, or SD situation.

When I'm planning on a rural trip, I nearly always have a long gun with me. I've got lots of choices at my disposal, but more times than not, if I really want to pack minimally, it's my 870 with sights.

GEDC0052-zps76cb1f5a.jpg

I am planning on a fairly cheap PSA 16 midlength build as a truck gun. I agree with others that carrying a loaded AR pistol 24/7 is asking for trouble. When going inna woods I carry a 10.5" 300 blk AR pistol loaded in the vehicle.

I also carry a single shot ultra light .22.

I considered using my .300blk 10.5" braced pistol as my "truck gun" at one time for the same reason a lot of people in the thread have posted (the ability to keep it loaded since it's a pistol), but after quite a few of my friends who happen to be in law enforcement commented "nice SBR" on range trips I decided that carrying it might be a real hassle if I ever had to explain myself to the police or the courts.

More so with a 'firearm' like the Shockwave. A lot of people know about AR pistols, less about a braced pistol, less again about a Shockwave and fewer yet about a braced Shockwave.

2uhvdw9.jpg

That is one of the downsides about these. Even without the brace many people think it is a sawed off shotgun. There is nothing on the Mossbergs that says anything except that it is a Mossberg 590. Someday somebody in DC may pass an amendment to the GCA or NFA to make it an SBS or AOW.

My truck gun is a 1938 Winchester model 1894 Trapper length barrel 16 1/4" in 30-30 holds 6 in the tube. I keep 125gr FP HP loaded hot. As well as 2 boxes of 20. I figure this has a clean kill range on a human or dear sized target to 200 yards And on something bigger maybe 100 yards. On a charging Black Bear thinking 25-50 yards (right there in the pucker factor range). I can load it quickly I have over 50 years of experiance shooting the platform (I started deer hunting with a model 94 at age 11 and had had months of range time prior to that) I'm 61. Of course the truck this goes in a 48 Willys jeep so think SMALL. I also will keep a 9mm handgun in the vehicle when needed.

This is a Mossberg 590 I keep in my vehicle sometimes. I have a bandolier of slugs and buckshot and I keep a magazine tube wort of shells in the side saddle to load it quickly. If I were to do it over, I'd just get the velcro shell cards instead and put a strip of stick-on velcro on the receiver.

AFC52F66-6B56-43EB-9ACB-6754E96AE2EE.jpeg

Threw a Winchester 30-30 lever action in a trunk for about 2 weeks on a long elk hunting trip. Long story short, I Had to have it reblued:confused: If i were ever tempted to put a firearm in a trunk of a car again, it definitely wont be pretty or expensive. And I won't leave it back there for 2 weeks straight:D

12ga.

Ruger American Ranch that takes AR mags is what I'm considering for a truck gun. Compact, light, accurate and cheap. Throw a cheap optic and a stock pouch with a mag or two on it and toss it behind your seat.

I voted shotgun. That said a few cheap lowers would take priority in the current political climate. Shotguns versatility is hard to deny as it can take game as small as a dove or as large as the northwest gets. It can also be argued its one of the best home defense guns.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top