JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yikes...I've got 1 river to cross that's only 10 minutes from work, so if I can cross it then I'm golden. If not it's a 21 mile hike, which reminds me I need to put my walking shoes back in my go bag. :(

New office puts me on the wrong side of the Willamette. Have to cross it at some point to get home. Completely changes my prior get home plan. Need to rethink things.

Our office is moving in two months, to an even more susceptible location. And it puts a second river between me and home. I can only hope, if and when the big one hits, that it's not when I'm at work :(

I've honestly looked at collapsible boats as a possible solution. Keep it at or near work. That, or maybe that new bridge will survive and be passable for pedestrians (it's supposed to be). Either way, I'm easily 2-3 days from home on foot.

Are you referring to the Tillikum pedestrian bridge? I thought I'd read that in a big earthquake the riverbank on both ends of the bridges will be gone or liquefy so they may not be of any use.

Are you referring to the Tillikum pedestrian bridge? I thought I'd read that in a big earthquake the riverbank on both ends of the bridges will be gone or liquefy so they may not be of any use.

My understanding is that particular bridge was built with that in mind. The bridge may be one of the few that remain usable after a big quake. It's also designed to be the path for emergency vehicles after such an event. It's all theoretical of course, but it's the best hope for crossing the Willamette in Portland.

Face it folks. It's just dumb luck that that will determine where you are when the big one hits.
Keep get home gear in your car and hope for the best!

On any given normal 7 day week, there is a 70% chance that I will be home; i.e., I am at work or commuting 48 hours out of 168 hours in a week. So that's good.

Downside is that when I am at work I am 3 days walking distance (at best, in my physical condition) from home. Two days from my kids house which is on my way home.

Upside, I am on the west side of the river and close to the west hills, so I have maybe ten to 20 blocks of mid to up scale residential area to navigate before being in Forest Park and then over thru Beaverton and out the other side thru farmland I know well to Scholls and then 5 miles up the mountain to home.

If the office building doesn't fall on me, and I can get to my GHB in my car, and I don't have a heart attack, I can probably make it home.

In 16 months I will either cut back my hours to 30 instead of 40 (maybe working 3 days instead of 50), or I will retire altogether, and that increases my chances of being home during "the big one".

I am less concerned about "the big one" than I am about the our gradually but inevitably slipping into "the big die off" due to humans exceeding the carrying capacity of the earth.

On any given normal 7 day week, there is a 70% chance that I will be home; i.e., I am at work or commuting 48 hours out of 168 hours in a week. So that's good.

Downside is that when I am at work I am 3 days walking distance (at best, in my physical condition) from home. Two days from my kids house which is on my way home.

Upside, I am on the west side of the river and close to the west hills, so I have maybe ten to 20 blocks of mid to up scale residential area to navigate before being in Forest Park and then over thru Beaverton and out the other side thru farmland I know well to Scholls and then 5 miles up the mountain to home.

If the office building doesn't fall on me, and I can get to my GHB in my car, and I don't have a heart attack, I can probably make it home.

In 16 months I will either cut back my hours to 30 instead of 40 (maybe working 3 days instead of 50), or I will retire altogether, and that increases my chances of being home during "the big one".

I am less concerned about "the big one" than I am about the our gradually but inevitably slipping into "the big die off" due to humans exceeding the carrying capacity of the earth.

I had to go up to OHSU for a medical test last week. I'd never been there before (only to Portland twice actually). I was ASTOUNDED:eek:! What were the people thinking when they sited and constructed that concrete monstrosity (size wise)! It's concrete stacked to the sky, perched on the side of a vertical cliff, hanging over the city! No one alive today has ever seen the effects (or the affects) of a 6' horizontal shift and a 9' vertical drop in land mass (see the Oregon Resilience Plan study commissioned by the Governor several years ago), accompanied by 3-5 minutes of violent shaking and no one in their right mind would want to but....that mass of concrete is headed for the river with no time for anyone to escape when that subduction zone breaks loose. I pity all those patients, medical personnel, and everyone between there and the river below them. As serious a problem as we are going to have here in Coquille when it hits, the three years we are facing without any infrastructure pales in comparison to what Portland is going to experience.
I'm sure there must be significant enticements and advantages to living and working in Portland but... I asked the Doctor I saw about it and his response was "...we try not to think about it and we certainly don't ever talk about it!" Put me in my place.:oops:
I'll be praying for you all when it hits.
Semper Fi

Last Edited:
I don't plan on walking! lock in the four wheel drive and move things out of the way as fast as I can to get as far as I can then grabbing BOB and moving on as fast as I can.

A motorsickle (sic) might be a good choice for getting thru when things get ugly.

Given the not-too-recently-licensed nuclear plant built & finally deconstructed in the path of various flood zones, volcanic flows, dam beeches, tsunami pathway & geologic plate fault activity, I wonder just what the 'most accurate' statistical computation may be, of significant event in our lifetime.

Prepper 101...

Rescue tips.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews