JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a son living in Seattle area, so would prefer the big one hits while he's over here visiting. And I have a daughter and grandkids in Japan who have already felt a couple of quakes. I'm a very nervous dad...

Update: NAACP Declares Portland Earthquake Warnings To Be Racist.

But in more survivalist news

Instapundit » Blog Archive » MICHAEL TOTTEN: Off The Richter Scale: Can the Pacific Northwest prepare for the cataclysmic quake…

MICHAEL TOTTEN: Off The Richter Scale: Can the Pacific Northwest prepare for the cataclysmic quake that's coming? "Americans have long dreaded the 'Big One,' a magnitude 8.0 earthquake along California's San Andreas Fault that could one day kill thousands of people and cause billions of dollars in damage. The Big One, though, is a mere mini-me compared with the cataclysm forming beneath the Pacific Northwest."

Plus: "Local governments can't possibly stockpile enough food to feed millions during a disaster; they aren't, in fact, stockpiling anything. People will have to feed themselves until FEMA arrives, and the agency won't be on the scene in a day, or even a week. Not a single road will be passable. An entire region 100 miles wide and 600 miles long will be ravaged. Many Americans have bemoaned the federal government's response to Hurricane Maria on Puerto Rico, but we'll have hundreds of de facto islands in the Pacific Northwest. . . . Local governments once told everyone to have at least three days' worth of food on hand that can be prepared without gas or electricity. They have since raised the bar to two weeks. Is that enough?" No. Next question?

Also: "'If you have a community in rural Oklahoma hit by a tornado,' he says, 'the volunteers can render aid until the proverbial cavalry arrives. After a Cascadia Subduction Zone earthquake, the cavalry won't show up for weeks. So my volunteers need to know more than simply first aid. They need to know wilderness first aid.'"

But beware: NAACP Declares Portland Earthquake Warnings To Be Racist.

Meanwhile, a New Madrid quake would be almost as bad, and economically might be worse, since it would effectively cut the country in half for months.

See these NWFA threads also:
https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/got-food.283072
https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/water-and-other-utilities-after-a-major-quake.284940/
Cascadia Event Book Reviews & Resource Guide
https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/cascadia-currency-conundrum.269204/

We seem to be having more activity this year, the USGS says its normal, but i disagree, we are seeing damage to the house that has never been an issue before. The siding and skirting is flexed and the screws are popping out, and the whole house is sagging on it's foundation, and there is a growning crack! We thought it might have something to do with the ground water, but a inspector says its likely due to the recent shakes! We have a crew comming out to repair every thing, and re pipe the house while they are at it! The water main is starting to have issues too!:eek:

All over the Seattle news this morning is the walking time to reach high ground (in the Sound) if a Cascadia event happens to start a tsunami. My conclusion - you are all dead. They forgot to include the other sheeple trying to do the same thing. 30 mins. Right!

How long it will take to walk to safety before a tsunami hits

I don't plan on walking! lock in the four wheel drive and move things out of the way as fast as I can to get as far as I can then grabbing BOB and moving on as fast as I can.

If I was home thats what I would do as well. Unfortunately my work is right by the river so I would be affected :(

I am close enough. Plus I would have to get over the west hills which have their own fault line and are steep on either side so would have a lot of landslides.

16 more months and I retire.

But with family finances I may not fully retire - I may just cut back to 4 days a week (enough to get med ins) for another year just in case - at my age it would be kind of hard to get back into the tech sector if I quit as the tech sector is notoriously age biased. Depends on how the kids do with their jobs/etc. and how the economy does.

We seem to be having more activity this year, the USGS says its normal, but i disagree, we are seeing damage to the house that has never been an issue before. The siding and skirting is flexed and the screws are popping out, and the whole house is sagging on it's foundation, and there is a growning crack! We thought it might have something to do with the ground water, but a inspector says its likely due to the recent shakes! We have a crew comming out to repair every thing, and re pipe the house while they are at it! The water main is starting to have issues too!:eek:

More activity is not necessarily a bad thing. The Cascadia fault line is not like a volcano. Activity means (in my uneducated and inexpert opinion - but I did stay at a Holiday in once) that the slippage is happening and releasing the tension - not building up.

It is when it is quiet that the tension builds up. The Big One will happen when a lot of tension has built up and then suddenly releases all at once.

I don't plan on walking! lock in the four wheel drive and move things out of the way as fast as I can to get as far as I can then grabbing BOB and moving on as fast as I can.

If you are in the affected zone of a Cascadia event, how far would you be able to drive, and how fast would you be able to get where you want to go if every bridge over every creek, stream, river, pond, lake etc. were collapsed? How far and fast would you be able to move if every overpass/underpass has collapsed? With 4WD you may be able to get around some of the obstructions, but you certainly won't get around many. I'm not saying just give up. I'm saying this needs to be in your planning for such an event.

If you are in the affected zone of a Cascadia event, how far would you be able to drive, and how fast would you be able to get where you want to go if every bridge over every creek, stream, river, pond, lake etc. were collapsed? How far and fast would you be able to move if every overpass/underpass has collapsed? With 4WD you may be able to get around some of the obstructions, but you certainly won't get around many. I'm not saying just give up. I'm saying this needs to be in your planning for such an event.

Close enough to knock a day off of my hike home. Have the trip mapped out! no bridges one small creek which I can drive across depending on time of year. Like I said if I have to grab the bob and bug out and leave the truck I can survive for five days. My only goal at that point will be to get home to the wife!

Another "kinda small one" off the Oregon coast. 4.7. Wednesday, 10 April, 2019. What these ongoing earthquakes have in common is the same depth? About 10 km or so? Humm.

That is all.

Last Edited:
Our office is moving in two months, to an even more susceptible location. And it puts a second river between me and home. I can only hope, if and when the big one hits, that it's not when I'm at work :(

I've honestly looked at collapsible boats as a possible solution. Keep it at or near work. That, or maybe that new bridge will survive and be passable for pedestrians (it's supposed to be). Either way, I'm easily 2-3 days from home on foot.

Office or business or home relocation? At what point does potential tsunami or earthquake damage enter into the moving plan? That vast variable decision making process that puts one from the frying pan directly into the fire? Just thinking. One in 10 to one in 50 within the next 30 to 50 years. Clear as mud.

respectfully

Just thinking. One in 10 to one in 50 within the next 30 to 50 years. Clear as mud.

yes it is. The odds many of us will have already shuffled off this moral coil prior to the next '30 to 50 years' due to unrelated personal physiological reasons could bring an odd version of 'dark comfort' easily on par with the '1 in 50' end of the stats.

Odds aside, it will happen. It's happened numerous times in history. Will it hit in my lifetime? My daughter's? Hard to say. But it will happen. I think a reasonable level of preparedness, not panic, is warranted. Fact is, the next big one is long overdue based on the typical cycle of recurrence, so really, it could happen any time. What we also don't know is whether it will be a full scale Cascadia slip, or a more regional one. Both possibilities seem to put Oregon in the dead center of potential activity.

Our office is moving in two months, to an even more susceptible location. And it puts a second river between me and home. I can only hope, if and when the big one hits, that it's not when I'm at work :(

I've honestly looked at collapsible boats as a possible solution. Keep it at or near work. That, or maybe that new bridge will survive and be passable for pedestrians (it's supposed to be). Either way, I'm easily 2-3 days from home on foot.
Yikes...I've got 1 river to cross that's only 10 minutes from work, so if I can cross it then I'm golden. If not it's a 21 mile hike, which reminds me I need to put my walking shoes back in my go bag. :(

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top