JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The ATF
None of the amnesty braced guns need additional engraving unless theyre built from 80%
MARKINGS
30. Once the firearm is registered, am I required to mark the firearm since I manufactured a
short-barreled rifle (SBR)?
• If the SBR equipped with a "stabilizing brace" is registered by May 31, 2023, the possessor
is allowed to adopt the markings on the firearm. The maker's marking exception is only
applicable to firearms that are registered pursuant to the final rule. If the firearm is a
personally made firearm, the possessor must mark in accordance with 27 CFR 478.92 &
479.102 prior to submitting the E-Form 1.

I made the firearm from a stripped lower.

MARKINGS
30. Once the firearm is registered, am I required to mark the firearm since I manufactured a
• If the SBR equipped with a "stabilizing brace" is registered by May 31, 2023, the possessor
is allowed to adopt the markings on the firearm. The maker's marking exception is only
applicable to firearms that are registered pursuant to the final rule. If the firearm is a
personally made firearm, the possessor must mark in accordance with 27 CFR 478.92 &

I made the firearm from a stripped lower.
A PMF is what they call an 80% receiver built gun not one built from a transferred "normal" lower receiver.

90%+ of the braced pistols" out there started as "pistols" that the owner added the brace to . Those wouldn't be any different than a stripped receiver built gun. The PMF's need complete engraving. Thats what theyre talking about

A PMF is what they call an 80% receiver built gun not one built from a transferred "normal" lower receiver.

90%+ of the braced pistols" out there started as "pistols" that the owner added the brace to . Those wouldn't be any different than a stripped receiver built gun. The PMF's need complete engraving. Thats what theyre talking about
My SBR did not start as a pistol or any other kind of gun. It started as a receiver with a model name that indicates that it was sold as such. In the context of things like 922r and similar rules, I definitely "made" a firearm, not bought a complete functioning weapon. My markings fail the SBR criteria because the pistol was not "made" at Anderson's plant, it is not marked with a caliber and Anderson doesnt sell a pistol with the model name I registered.

Quote the ATF saying otherwise.

My SBR did not start as a pistol or any other kind of gun. It started as a receiver with a model name that indicates that it was sold as such. In the context of things like 922r and similar rules, I definitely "made" a firearm, not bought a complete functioning weapon. My markings fail the SBR criteria because the pistol was not "made" at Anderson's plant, it is not marked with a caliber and Anderson doesnt sell a pistol with the model name I registered.

Quote the ATF saying otherwise.
You are misunderstanding what a PMF is

A lower receiver that has serial numbers placed by a licensed manufacturer is not a PMF. No one cares about caliber markings. Theyre typically on the barrel anyway. I have factory built guns that say multi on the lower. A PMF is a gun built from a receiver YOU built. YOU are not a licensed manufacturer. I am a licensed manufacturer. If I build a firearm from sale I have to put the serial numbers and my manufacturers marks on it. If its a complete rifle/pistol I have to pay excise tax. If its a stripped receiver or a rifle, pistol etc I have to send the ATF a list of those serial numbers. Thats why they stipulate you have to engrave BEFORE filing a form 1 on an amnesty gun. So when you as a non manufacturer ( maker) send them the info on your PMF they can enter it into the system.

MARKINGS
personally made firearm,
the possessor must mark in accordance with 27 CFR 478.92 &

What is a privately made firearm (PMF)?

A PMF is a firearm, including a frame or receiver, completed, assembled, or otherwise produced by a person other than a licensed manufacturer, and without a serial number placed by a licensed manufacturer at the time the firearm was produced. The term shall not include a firearm identified and registered in the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record pursuant to chapter 53, title 26, United States Code, or any firearm manufactured or made before October 22, 1968 (unless remanufactured after that date).

You don't believe any of this do you? And no. Assembling a pistol on a stripped lower is NOT "Making" a firearm. A Maker is a non licensee ( a licensee is an 07/02 SOT FFL holder manufacturer) that builds a NFA regulated item on a form 1..

What you did, the way you did it, yes , you will have to engrave because you registered a model name. You weren't supposed to do that. That was a mistake. You should have used the model names from the drop down menu and if one wasn't there you should have submitted the one you had on the lower for review and it would have been granted no different than you making one up.

Come On, Man.

Last Edited:
There is no penalty if RX-79G opted to additionally mark his firearm. As long has the original engravings aren't defaced the new engravings will simply exist as cosmetic enhancements. The confusion is understandable with respect to 922r but the marking requirement has been superseded by BATF in Jan 2023 for the purpose of the AR-15 pistol created the past several years, then with the brace (arguably now defined as a rifle stock)...thus creating BATF's now legally defined (2023) as a SBR.

For the purpose of the amnesty, those pistols with braces can be submitted via Form 1 without paying $200 and without having to engrave per older NFA rules. BATF will accept the current manufacturer's engraving on the AR15 (et al) receiver as the 2023 acceptable engraving.

You can try to rationalize this and make it more work for you but it 's not necessary to add additional engraving. But neither will it hurt...AS LONG AS you don't obscure or deface the original receiver's manf engravings.

The arbiter of this will be the NFA div anyway when they review your tax free, F1 application

You are misunderstanding what a PMF is

MARKINGS
personally made firearm,
the possessor must mark in accordance with 27 CFR 478.92 &

What is a privately made firearm (PMF)?

A PMF is a firearm, including a frame or receiver, completed, assembled, or otherwise produced by a person other than a licensed manufacturer, and without a serial number placed by a licensed manufacturer at the time the firearm was produced. The term shall not include a firearm identified and registered in the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record pursuant to chapter 53, title 26, United States Code, or any firearm manufactured or made before October 22, 1968 (unless remanufactured after that date).
The PMF part refers to serializing before registration. I'm talking about the fact that I had to put a caliper on the form 1 that doesn't exist in the firearm because it was not a complete weapon when it left Anderson.

There is no penalty if RX-79G opted to additionally mark his firearm. As long has the original engravings aren't defaced the new engravings will simply exist as cosmetic enhancements. The confusion is understandable with respect to 922r but the marking requirement has been superseded by BATF in Jan 2023 for the purpose of the AR-15 pistol created the past several years, then with the brace (arguably now defined as a rifle stock)...thus creating BATF's now legally defined (2023) as a SBR.

For the purpose of the amnesty, those pistols with braces can be submitted via Form 1 without paying $200 and without having to engrave per older NFA rules. BATF will accept the current manufacturer's engraving on the AR15 (et al) receiver as the 2023 acceptable engraving.

You can try to rationalize this and make it more work for you but it 's not necessary to add additional engraving. But neither will it hurt...AS LONG AS you don't obscure or deface the original receiver's manf engravings.

The arbiter of this will be the NFA div anyway when they review your tax free, F1 application
He has to engrave and he has to do that because he changed the model name on his form 1..

The PMF part refers to serializing before registration. I'm talking about the fact that I had to put a caliper on the form 1 that doesn't exist in the firearm because it was not a complete weapon when it left Anderson.
That doesn't matter. You just put a caliber on the form and when you build the gun you build the gun you do the same thing the manufacturer does and that is put a barrel on it. Barrels are marked with the caliber. YOU changed your model name though so YOU have to engrave.

You aren't the first guy to build a gun from a lower

Last Edited:
That doesn't matter. You just put a caliber on the form and when you build the gun you build the gun you do the same thing the manufacturer does and that is put a barrel on it. Barrels are marked with the caliber. YOU changed your model name though so YOU have to engrave.

You aren't the first guy to build a gun from a lower
Building a rifle is not the same as building NFAs in terms of marking requirements.

Whats already marked on the lower from Anderson?

Serial

"Multi-Cal"?

"AM-15"?

"Anderson Manufacturing"?

"Hebron, KY" ?

These are on my two Anderson stripped lowers, one of which is now registered as a SBR, and the model name "AM-15" is in the drop-down menu

Serial

"Multi-Cal"?

"AM-15"?

"Hebron, KY" ?

These are on my two Anderson stripped lowers, one of which is now registered as a SBR, and the model name "AM-15" is in the drop-down menu

Serial

"Multi-Cal"?

"AM-15"?

"Hebron, KY" ?

He is thinking that the caliber Hass to be on the lower receiver and it doesn't. It can be on the barrel.

A stripped lower receiver IS a firearm according to the ATF. You didn't "make" a firearm since you purchased a serialized firearm. If people want to make their own hoops to jump through, that's OK, but be aware that it does nothing but complicate matters when a serialized firearm now has two serial numbers.

Probably because Colt M16s, M4s, Bushmaster, Armalite, Rock River Arms, DPMS, and others have the caliber marked on their lowers for their rifles which also tend to have caliber markings on the barrels :rolleyes:
SIG marks on the barrel only so do many other manufacturers. I don't engrave caliber on the lower. It's not a requirement. It goes on the barrel.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top