JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you had to transfer the stripped lower with a 4473; then assembled it into a braced pistol; you only "made" it as a firearm that may or may not be a SBR depending on what lawsuits results says ( :rolleyes: ) but the model, city/State, and manufacturers info will be already in ATF's drop-down menus, and you just add caliber on barrel and the SN on the lower, along with any other pertinent info like OAL and barrel length. <-- what I did, no Additional engraving req'd.
That wasn't true before the amnesty and it isn't true now on a non-amnesty SBR, even though that drop-down is always there.

It doesn't say "PMF". It doesn't say "Privately Made Firearm".

There is certainly a difference between an SBR I assemble and one a manufacturer assembles in terms of markings, under normal circumstances.

If I were to buy a complete SBR today from a firearms manufacturer, the SBR would have to have that manufacturer's name and location. Then I would transfer it on a Form 4.

If I were to build an SBR today on a factory stripped lower, the resulting SBR would have to have my name and location engraved on it, and I would make it on a Form 1. I am personally making the SBR, so it needs my personal name and location.

Again, I don't know that is correct. I just know it is a possibility that you two are saying can't be correct because you're assuming the ATF wrote "personal" when they meant an entirely different word that also starts with a P. And that might be an incorrect assumption on your part.

Ultimately it probably doesn't matter, enforcement wise. But I'd at least like to know how the rule was intended to be read. And I'm not the only person that read it that way.
You are not going to form 1 a manufactured SBR. You are NOT "personally making" the SBR. You are a maker of the SBR. If you were making an SBR from a PMF you would have to fully engrave it because a PMF ( Privately Made Firearm ) is a gun built from a receiver YOU machined. PMF status has nothing to do with the fact you assembled it using manufacturer-built receiver.

If you build an SBR from a receiver that you put a brace on prior to Jan 31 you do not need to do further engraving even though it makes sense that you would have to because the ATF is allowing you to go about your merry way. If you want to engrave go ahead. No one is stopping you.

Last Edited:
you are not going to form 1 a manufactured SBR. You are NOT personally making the SBR. Yoy are a maker of the SBR. If you were making an SBR from a PMF you would have to fully engrave it because a PMF is a gun built from a receiver YOU machined. PMF status has nothing to do with the fact you assembled it using a manufacturer built receiver.
You missed what I said. If you want to assemble a SBR on an existing factory marked serialized lower, you still have to put the maker's name (you) and location. Then put it on the Form 1.

This thread (mine) the topic, is about the amnesty Form 1. Not about the regular tax paid Form 1s, not about the Tax exempt LEO/Agency Form 1s.
And the discussion is about the language of the amnesty and presumptions being made about the reason it says "personally" vs "PMF" or "privately".

You guys think I'm being ridiculous, but you're just sticking to an opinion you have without giving the rationale for that opinion - expect to say that the ATF screwed up.

And the discussion is about the language of the amnesty and presumptions being made about the reason it says "personally" vs "PMF" or "privately".

You guys think I'm being ridiculous, but you're just sticking to an opinion you have without giving the rationale for that opinion - expect to say that the ATF screwed up.
So engrave it....

So engrave it....
If the ATF says so, I will. If someone can point to how the ATF didn't say to do that, I won't. So far I'm in limbo between the two because we have a classic case of "some guy on the internet said it was okay."

I don't know why it pisses people off to ask where they got their information.

Of course. But he never worked on amnesty SBRs. From the language of Rule, all of this stuff doesn't apply to professionals because they don't get the amnesty on their stock.
You realize SOT's form 1 stuff too, right? Its simpler to form 1 SBR's to myself now rather than later. My LLC owns stuff . If I put everything in my LLC's name I still have to paid form 4 it to myself when I eventually give up the license..

From the ATF's Eform 1 Final Rule guidelines PDF.

WHAT DO I PUT IN SECTION 4A, NAME AND ADDRESS OF ORIGINAL MANUFACTURER AND/OR
IMPORTER OF FIREARM?
Answer: Enter the name of the original manufacturer or importer, city, and state as marked on the
frame or receiver of the firearm. If the firearm has no markings (e.g., a privatelymade firearm), then
enter the applicant's name, city, and State from Section 3b.

15. WHAT DO I PUT IN SECTION 4H, ADDITIONAL DESCRIPTION WHICH ASKS FOR THE REQUIRED
MAKER'S MARKINGS, TO INCLUDE MAKER'S NAME AS REGISTERED, CITY AND STATE AS EACH
WILL APPEAR ON FIREARM?

Answer: Enter the name of the original manufacturer or importer, city, and State as marked on
the frame or receiver of the firearm.
If the firearm was made by a non-licensee and has no
markings (e.g., a privately made firearm), then enter the applicant's name, city, and State from
Section 3b.

16. CAN CORRECTIONS BE MADE TO THE EFORMS AFTER THEY ARE SUBMITTED?

Answer: No, once forms are submitted no changes can be made.

17. I DO NOT HAVE A PHYSICAL/ 9-1-1 ADDRESS. I ONLY USE A P.O. BOX. IS THIS ACCEPTABLE?

Answer: No, a P.O. Box cannot be used. A physical location (or 9-1-1 address) is required.
Directions or geographic co-ordinates are acceptable if no physical/9-1-1 address is available. On a
Form 4, Section 3e, the applicant may insert an alternate address.

18. HOW MUST A FIREARM THAT IS REGISTERED PURSUANT TO FINAL RULE 2021R-08F BE MARKED?

Answer: A firearm that is not marked, such as a privately made firearm (PMF), must be marked in
accordance with the maker marking requirements under 27 CFR 479.102(a) before submission of the
eForm1.

However, if the firearm is already marked, the person registering the firearm pursuant to Final
Rule 2021R-08F may adopt all of the original manufacturer or importer markings when registering
the
firearm, to include the name, city, and state of the original manufacturer or importer as identified on

Seems pretty clear to me :rolleyes:

From the ATF's Eform 1 Final Rule guidelines PDF.

WHAT DO I PUT IN SECTION 4A, NAME AND ADDRESS OF ORIGINAL MANUFACTURER AND/OR
IMPORTER OF FIREARM?
Answer: Enter the name of the original manufacturer or importer, city, and state as marked on the
frame or receiver of the firearm. If the firearm has no markings (e.g., a privatelymade firearm), then
enter the applicant's name, city, and State from Section 3b.

15. WHAT DO I PUT IN SECTION 4H, ADDITIONAL DESCRIPTION WHICH ASKS FOR THE REQUIRED
MAKER'S MARKINGS, TO INCLUDE MAKER'S NAME AS REGISTERED, CITY AND STATE AS EACH
WILL APPEAR ON FIREARM?

Answer: Enter the name of the original manufacturer or importer, city, and State as marked on
If the firearm was made by a non-licensee and has no
markings (e.g., a privately made firearm), then enter the applicant's name, city, and State from
Section 3b.

16. CAN CORRECTIONS BE MADE TO THE EFORMS AFTER THEY ARE SUBMITTED?

Answer: No, once forms are submitted no changes can be made.

17. I DO NOT HAVE A PHYSICAL/ 9-1-1 ADDRESS. I ONLY USE A P.O. BOX. IS THIS ACCEPTABLE?

Answer: No, a P.O. Box cannot be used. A physical location (or 9-1-1 address) is required.
Directions or geographic co-ordinates are acceptable if no physical/9-1-1 address is available. On a
Form 4, Section 3e, the applicant may insert an alternate address.

18. HOW MUST A FIREARM THAT IS REGISTERED PURSUANT TO FINAL RULE 2021R-08F BE MARKED?

Answer: A firearm that is not marked, such as a privately made firearm (PMF), must be marked in
accordance with the maker marking requirements under 27 CFR 479.102(a) before submission of the
eForm1.

However, if the firearm is already marked, the person registering the firearm pursuant to Final
Rule 2021R-08F may adopt all of the original manufacturer or importer markings when registering
the
firearm, to include the name, city, and state of the original manufacturer or importer as identified on

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top