JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There is no "personally" made firearm. Privately Made Firearm i.e. PMF if what the ATF calls a gun built from a receiver YOU machined. Thats all. They could care less who built your pistol from the receiver. Total non issue.

There is no "personally" made firearm. Privately Made Firearm i.e. PMF if what the ATF calls a gun built from a receiver YOU machined. Thats all. They could care less who built your pistol from the receiver. Total non issue.
But, but, but the AFT used that word once.

Again, where's your definition of that? Looks more like an AFT goof than anything else. But like I said earlier, engrave away.
I don't have a definition for that. But I am noting that the context seems to be referring to the difference between a complete gun assembled at a factory and one you assembled yourself, since that seems to apply to a situation where the ATF wants the city the SBR was assembled in on the gun.

When the ATF means Privately Made Firearms, they say that and use their abbreviation - PMFS. They did neither here.

What term would you use for a firearm I assembled myself around a factory stripped lower?

You are offering your opinion, and I appreciate that, but you aren't pointing to facts or the advice of the agency that wrote the rule. Being an SOT doesn't really have anything to do with this since you just stated that the Rule has language that you've never heard of.

I don't have a definition for that. But I am noting that the context seems to be referring to the difference between a complete gun assembled at a factory and one you assembled yourself, since that seems to apply to a situation where the ATF wants the city the SBR was assembled in on the gun.

When the ATF means Privately Made Firearms, they say that and use their abbreviation - PMFS. They did neither here.
Again. And Again and Again. A PMF is a firearm built from a receiver that you made ( call it from an 80% if you like that term ) . There is no distinction made between a gun you built from a licensee manufactured receiver and that of a pistol you bought preassembled.

The ATF doesn't care if you bought a gun built from a retailer that sourced it from a manufacturer with the stock ( brace ) installed already or if you put a stock on there yourself. Same free stamp no engraving needed.

Its stuck in his head that unless a manufacturer built it with a brace he needs to engrave it if he gets a free stamp. Of course thats wrong but he wont listen.
Only thing I can offer to help is maybe have him listen to the atf training. If it was someone else I would probably find the relevant time stamp to go to (I have the Qs time stamps catalogued somewhere) but not worth the time. Q and a, the only valuable part Imo, starts at about the 19:00 mark.

Again. And Again and Again. A PMF is a firearm built from a receiver that you made ( call it from an 80% if you like that term ) . There is no distinction made between a gun you built from a licensee manufactured receiver and that of a pistol you built preassembled.
It doesn't say "PMF". It doesn't say "Privately Made Firearm".

There is certainly a difference between an SBR I assemble and one a manufacturer assembles in terms of markings, under normal circumstances.

If I were to buy a complete SBR today from a firearms manufacturer, the SBR would have to have that manufacturer's name and location. Then I would transfer it on a Form 4.

If I were to build an SBR today on a factory stripped lower, the resulting SBR would have to have my name and location engraved on it, and I would make it on a Form 1. I am personally making the SBR, so it needs my personal name and location.

Again, I don't know that is correct. I just know it is a possibility that you two are saying can't be correct because you're assuming the ATF wrote "personal" when they meant an entirely different word that also starts with a P. And that might be an incorrect assumption on your part.

Ultimately it probably doesn't matter, enforcement wise. But I'd at least like to know how the rule was intended to be read. And I'm not the only person that read it that way.

Its stuck in his head that unless a manufacturer built it with a brace he needs to engrave it if he gets a free stamp. Of course thats wrong but he wont listen.
I still don't understand that he can read the part about not having to engrave the gun if it's a serialized lower, but doesn't understand that engraving isn't required for the amnesty program.

It's like women, I just don't understand them.

It's real simple again, regardless of terms..

If you had to transfer the stripped lower with a 4473; then assembled it into a braced pistol; you only "made" it as a firearm that may or may not be a SBR depending on what lawsuits results says ( :rolleyes: ) but the model, city/State, and manufacturers info will be already in ATF's drop-down menus, and you just add caliber on barrel and the SN on the lower, along with any other pertinent info like OAL and barrel length. <-- what I did, no Additional engraving req'd.

If you did not need a 4473, no bg check, and you finished the work to make the 80% or whatever lower functional, then you've manufactured a PMF (privately or personally, ATF doesn't recognize a difference IMO), and it would need all the engraving requirements before approval.

Don't make this out like I am stupid. You don't work for the ATF and you aren't an expert in this new rule. I'm just asking for the reason you believe what you do.

But let's say (insert crazy hypothetical situation that woudl never happen) and I do this (insert some dumb bubblegum thing that nobody would do), what happens then?

Just getting the next question qued up for the cut and paste repeat answers... :p

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top