JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'd dispute the idea that some people can't be trusted to reload. If you're that careless, I don't want you at the range when I'm there, that's for sure!

Maybe rifle ammo would be an exception. Judging brass for potential case head separation sounds tricky. I only reload for handguns. Most handgun rounds are pretty simple. Yes, double-charging a case is a risk. You can prevent that by using Trail Boss, which is almost too bulky to double in any case. In most calibers, you can also prevent it by using a big charge of a relatively slow powder, which either won't fit or will be really obvious if you bother to look AT ALL. Yes, that costs a little more but powder is one of the cheaper components in most cases, so it's cheap insurance. If you sort your brass, you can even check AFTER loading by weighing every round. Won't work with tiny charges of fast powder, but I've never found cases and bullets to vary enough that a double charge of slower powder would escape detection.

Agreed that reloading 9 mm is a horrible prospect. I've been resisting adding those dies to my collection. But ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

I doubt politicians or initiative writers are too dumb to figure out reloading. They *might* miss it on the first try, but eventually primers (if they're smart) or powder or both would be regulated.

Or bullets, if they're really dumb. I have a couple of bullet molds, but I doubt I'll ever start casting. Of course, the problem there is that lead is scarcer with the demise of wheelweights and buying fresh lead is not very economical, and might also become illegal.

So, definitely a good idea to buy a bung-load of primers ASAP. I'm less sanguine about keeping large amounts of powder around, due to the worry of a fire. Even in my garage...

And I'm really wondering why I didn't buy a 5000 round case of .22LR a few months ago from the CMP when they were available! I have a fair bit of .22 now, but not a lifetime supply. Another 5000 might have taken me on out!

Wow - I feel bad now. I only reload 9mm and I'm doing it on a Lee Loadmaster. I loaded 7k rounds of different bullet shapes, weights and different powders last month but had no idea I was on the lower rungs of reloading society. I'll just keep shooting matches, practicing, picking up brass, and having fun and not let people know I reload the lowly 9mm. :D

but had no idea I was on the lower rungs of reloading society.
You ain't - and I have no idea why there is so much discourse over loading 9mm.

It's just another cartridge - resize, prime, charge & seat a bullet.

Not unlike a lot of things I suspect SOME who criticise reloading 9mm don't even reload at all and are just 'modulating'.

Last Edited:
The point, I think, was that 9 mm is (or was) so cheap that reloading for it seemed like a losing prospect if you value your time as one of the costs, and most people probably don't much want to make loads that differ highly from factory ballistics.

I got into reloading because I inherited a .32-20 revolver, for which reloading made immediate financial sense if I wanted to shoot more than a few boxes of ammo. I then used the reloading gear as an excuse to buy a 10 mm pistol, which is a great caliber for reloading since factory ammo is expensive and not really up to snuff ballistically in most brands, and then a .44 Magnum Redhawk which allows a huge spectrum of fun recipes, from popgun to .434 Casull. It just seems like neither the $ savings nor the variety are going to be as rich for 9 mm. Maybe I'm mistaken.

On the Cabelas ammo shelves today the only cartridge I saw for sale was .260 Remington. 07AE39A6-7A26-4D6C-B2B4-56C5480147E1.jpeg D6D98731-E803-436C-A131-EBDE83FA7D62.jpeg

Ammo tax? Yes. Take up reloading? Yes. I have posted this into the ground and the next day someone posts the exact same question, AGAIN! You are now on your own.

Wow - I feel bad now. I only reload 9mm and I'm doing it on a Lee Loadmaster. I loaded 7k rounds of different bullet shapes, weights and different powders last month but had no idea I was on the lower rungs of reloading society. I'll just keep shooting matches, practicing, picking up brass, and having fun and not let people know I reload the lowly 9mm. :D
Loading 9 is fun. You should see some of the head stamps I've found when loading! I've got a small drawer of brass case Tula that I didn't know existed. All sorts of neat stuff.

And 380 is the bane of my 9mm loading.

never reload your own ammo!!! it is very dangerous. you "could" blow up your own gun. You "may" have the wrong components. You might be "overwhelmed" with all that data. Or, you might be lucky enough to end up with the best ammo you have ever shot???:D

I probably took a reloading about 10 years ago with the first year or two just being acquiring equipment, reading manuals, buying materials and the such. I bet you I was pushing $1500 before I punched my first round.
I had three sons that I was fostering into hunting and as each one began to hunt I found it more and more difficult to find consistent ammo in consistent weights and brands. I just didn't have the time to continually sight in our hunting gear at the whims of inconsistent ammo stocks.

I've never been a particularly heavy shooter as I work a lot and I have other family obligations to keep everybody happy. I knew getting into reloading would never save me a penny and actually has cost me more money than I would ever save by reloading.

As the times have gotten crazier by each passing year the assurance that our hunting seasons will not be screwed up by the inability to get ammunition for our rifles is priceless.

My only regret getting into reloading is I did not stockpile more supplies even though at our current rate of usage we probably have at least 10 to 15 years worth of stock.... probably more.

I have warned all my kids though to kind of slow up on the shooting just in case stuff gets worse.

Good luck on your endeavors components are going to be a real booger to get.

.... And 380 is the bane of my 9mm loading.
Absolutely. It's been the source of many " :eek:" looks after bullet seating. Crimped primers are also a pain in the rear. I deformed several decapping pins before I figured out what was going on. I've had 2 primers go boom because of old primers that didn't get removed. The old adage of "either learn the lesson or repeat the lesson" comes into play. :)

.380 is where I 'drew' the line on reloading.

I only reloaded it due to the fact I had a .380 gun for a while but sold the gun, dies and brass not long after.

Cases too small and short to handle easily was my big issue.

Last Edited:
I'd recommend reloading if you want to shoot with any regularity. It can be really interesting and fun once you get past the fear of how much information there is to sort through and learn. Just take it slow with your favorite caliber and learn one stage/function at a time. It makes it much easier to digest.

I asked for a starter kit last fathers day, so I haven't been doing it very long. I have always wanted to but didn't have the time and was too worried about the amount I needed to learn and blowing my fingers off. I'm so happy I finally got past that.

My initial purpose was to save money so I could shoot more. And to be able to make subsonic ammunition when it wasn't easy to find. The cost savings will take a while (if ever) because I have enjoyed it so much that I keep buying stuff to feed my new habit.

The biggest benefit I have found is the knowledge I have gained in the last 8 months. I have been a shooter all my 50 years, but never truly payed attention to what made ammunition better for different situations other than just buying the cheapest box on the shelf, or what box said it was a defensive round. Now that I truly understand the food I'm feeding my firearm, my understanding of nearly all of the other aspects of shooting make better sense.

Other benefits have been;
I'm the only one of my friends that isn't complaining about ammo shortage and cost.
Cost per trip to the range is less and I don't have to go to the store first.
I get off my but to actually go to the range more to try my latest creation.
I feel better prepared for shortages and restrictions going forward.
I've become a better shooter. Both through practice and understanding of what is happening with the ammunition rather than blaming the firearm.
Its actually really relaxing when your stressed.
You get to play with more gun related stuff more often.
Lots of fun stuff to buy.

And my banker is really proud of me too. They keep sending me letters telling me that my account balance is "OUTSTANDING!"

I'd dispute the idea that some people can't be trusted to reload. If you're that careless, I don't want you at the range when I'm there, that's for sure!

Maybe rifle ammo would be an exception...

Nope.

Plenty of folks simply don't care to learn things which may require some minimal mechanical attention to detail. Takedown, fieldstrip and clean as an oversimplified example.

Reloading may be similarly "daunting", or simply just disinteresting to some folks.

Those folks handle and shoot firearms safely.

Folks whom don't handle and shoot firearms safely are just that.

Folks whom don't handle and shoot firearms safely.

For the sake of this conversation, I have three hobbies. Unloading, reloading and casting. Related but definitely different, two of them complement the other, I enjoy all three equally. I have enough brass that I can unload when the weather is nice and also do other hobbies and do the reloading in the winter when the the weather is miserable. All hobbies cost money, whether brewing beer or rebuilding muscle cars. They, the Bloomberg, have not had much success on the federal level but have had some success on the state level, I think you can expect more California type laws coming to your state, thanks to Bloomberg. On the federal level it's going to be interesting to see who pulls Biden's strings, it will also be interesting to see how many democrats get primaried because their not progressive enough. I was reading a interview that someone did with Washington governor inslee, he was quite pleased that he was voted out because of his vote on the awb when he was a congressman. It seems the mythical power of the nra is just that, a myth. Better support your state organizations, imho, that's where the fights going to be regarding guns, ammo and reloading supplies.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top