JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So ammunition is hard to come by lately (duh!). Without getting into politics (please don't!) do you think there may be a move to tax or "register" ammo purchases soon?

If so, since politicians generally don't understand the gun community and will likely only put restrictions on manufactured ammo, will hand-loading be the way to go to avoid regulations? I guess I just answered my own question.

It's late at night, and I'm just ruminating on things and this popped into my head. I shoot mostly .45ACP so that would be my preferred load/reload. I'm just thinking long term and all the possible craziness that could hamper and/or destroy the ammunition industry and what one might do to weather the storm.

I wonder if they pass that law that you will paying more for powder, primers, and bullets so you will have to pay regardless if you buy factory ammo or load your own?

Last Edited:
So ammunition is hard to come by lately (duh!). Without getting into politics (please don't!) do you think there may be a move to tax or "register" ammo purchases soon?

If so, since politicians generally don't understand the gun community and will likely only put restrictions on manufactured ammo, will hand-loading be the way to go to avoid regulations? I guess I just answered my own question.

It's late at night, and I'm just ruminating on things and this popped into my head. I shoot mostly .45ACP so that would be my preferred load/reload. I'm just thinking long term and all the possible craziness that could hamper and/or destroy the ammunition industry and what one might do to weather the storm.
EVERYONE should be reloading. It is a great way to save money and/or craft ammo especially suitable to your wants and needs.
And its fun.

I suggest that you look at how our 2A friends in Cali have been handling the Communist creep. I'm amazed every day how we are not far behind them. Anyway, check Calguns daily and see what insanity they have to deal with.

I wonder if they pass that law that you will paying more for powder, primers, and bullets so you will have to pay regardless if you buy factory ammo or load your own?
You never know. It would seem like they could more easily regulate primers and powders as localities already do with storage quantities. They might be able to do that through executive action rather than through congress. I imagine if we see a deadly bombing(s) where the bomb maker used smokeless powder purchased from Cabelas for example, we could see regulations come down pretty quick. Or big box stores may stop carrying these products. We also have to worry about lawsuits running the ever shrinking ammo makers out of business. We could also see bans on imports of powder and primers. Stock up while you can.

Hello,

I hope that you and yours are well. I missed your writing.

Yes, they will tax and regulate ammunition AND reloading supplies in my not so humble opinion.

I believe that 'they' (Both sides.) will go after EVERYTHING gun related when it comes to RESTRICTIONS IN BUYING meaning HOW MUCH you can buy at one time when it comes to ammo and reloading stock even IF there were some things IN STOCK (?!? - Not!) TO BUY at a brick and mortar store or online.

There will be bans or VERY strict regulations when it comes to ALL or SOME online ordering unless your FFL dealer orders what you want IF it is not ALREADY in stock at his store - you will have to go to his store to pay for it and pick up your order.

There will be higher taxes on reloading stock, ammunition and for anything else GUN related.

There will be FOID type cards like IL has.

There will be PRICE increases and not only from reloading and ammunition normal 'yearly increases' due to x, y or z which you do see on a regular basis.

There is a NEW THREAD about price increases from TOP companies due to various reasons in the GENERAL DISCUSSION AREA now.

One poster here mentioned CA's new or newer laws when it comes to ammunition, etc.

CA is one messed up state and some people can't BUY ammo for the guns that they own because it is not stated on their 'Paperwork' which I can't go into here due to the RULES of the forum plus at your request. It is on CalGuns and on other forums about their one big FUBAR situation!

Disclaimer: I do NOT reload and I never did reload. I only shoot 22wmr and 22lr now. I used to shoot CF ammunition AND a LOT of 22lr ammo when I was a high volume shooter. I am NO longer a high volume shooter (Several years now.) and the ONLY reason that I could AFFORD to shoot as MUCH as I did from the late 90's and on was due to a LOT of 22lr shooting mixed in with my CF shooting! Plus I love RF shooting as much as I did shooting 9mm, 357Magnum, 38Special and Plus P, 45Long Colt, 44Magnum/44Special (Gifts to me.) and 30-30 Win.

My MT husband does reload and has since the early 70's. Many, many calibers in the past and still some now.

He thinks that taxes, restrictions, higher increases and being FORCED to ONLY BUY what 'they' dictate to YOU will happen too. We discussed this again on Friday while going through his gun stuff.

Plus there ARE LOCAL and some state laws in many states when it comes to how much you are allowed to store and keep on hand. Location of such goods, etc. STORES have this as we already KNOW across the country but homes in specific areas have this too.

This ^^^ goes for AMMUNITION and reloading stock. Fire laws but that is NOTHING NEW and they have existed in many specific LOCAL areas (Cities, counties, rural or not.) in SOME states for private/personal use (Homes and outbuildings!) for a long time.

My MT husband would tell you to reload and buy a simple, quality RCBS or some other simple reloading set. (He used to own 2 types of reloading sets PLUS one for shotguns but he sold the shotgun one BEFORE I knew him. He sold the other set and kept his heavy, quality made RCBS reloading set. He does have some other gear on hand by some other companies too.)

His last 3 remaining handguns are two pistols in 45acp and one pistol in 22lr if that helps you since you mentioned 45acp shooting.

He does have a BIT of factory ammunition in 45acp and in 30-30 Win on hand.

He reloads for ALL of his CF firearms.

He is down to these CF firearm calibers for now:

45acp

30-30 Win

30-06

45-70

He does not own any shotguns and has not for a few years. I do not know if he will ever buy another one or not.

He does shoot some 22lr and 22wmr rifles as I do too.

He told me that when he used to compete that the ONLY way that he could afford it was due to reloading. He used to be a VERY high volume shooter. He has enjoyed firearms since he was a KID too. Plus the more you reload - the more that you shoot too. It is a joke that some guys say among one another.

His LOADS are better than some factory ammo too. He and some of his buddies chronograph all of this stuff. HE FINDS reloading relaxing and satisfying.

PAST TENSE: I was thinking and talking about reloading and SEE if I liked it with my late husband but that never happened due to his cancer discovery and death. He was thinking/talking about it with me. He was NOT a reloader, he only owned a few guns on purpose and was only into 2 calibers - 357Magnum and 22lr. He was into sail and power boats more! I had NO more interest in reloading for MYSELF after that to be blunt.

I do support my MT husband's interests (Vice versa.) and have helped HIM and some close friends FIND reloading products and 22lr when they were very hard to find in the past. Heck, one friend up north (NW MT) could not find some shotgun shells and some reloading stock here in MT and in the panhandle of ID that he wanted. We found what he wanted after a tough search around here for a few weeks, bought them and when he came down here - he picked them up. That garbage (Fake/real shortages.) went on for years.

My MT husband and I believe that THIS time it will be much worse (Future.) and he told me that what he sees NOW is worse than the years after Sandy Hook.

Around HERE - this garbage was NOT only in RF ammunition but in many other products. I kept logs on it in the past and posted about it elsewhere. Plus I made calls to WA state, ID, all over MT and spoke to many gun people across this nation. NOT only managers/owners of a few gun stores (Friends.) plus some people who did gun shows too.

So IF you can GET into reloading and FIND OUT that you actually LIKE to reload and not just because of the COST factor but being able to walk into YOUR gun room or den or wherever (!) and PICK UP a box of your reloaded ammunition - get into it.

TRY out your 45acp reloading. You don't have to reload TONS of ammo at one time. If you build up your reloading stock even a SMALL AMOUNT at a time, you will be able to reload on your own schedule and always be able to have some stock on hand. Don't rush when you reload. I do not bother my husband when he reloads unless he has stopped for a break. NO tv or radio - I leave him alone with peace and quiet! LOL

I would buy a quality, name brand and simple set up. I would buy 1 die for your favorite and MOST used caliber (45acp). SEE how you LIKE reloading or NOT before you BUY dies for any other firearm calibers. I can't remember what you shoot in other firearms. You may NOT enjoy or even LIKE reloading too. It is an individual THING. Just like some people like some firearms more than others.

I know a nice older man (Another forum from years ago.) who used to own many firearms in many calibers. He moved to a small and nice apartment in CO. He sold his big house and land after his divorce. He has some physical issues now. He sold and gifted a LOT of his gun stuff INCLUDING a ton of reloading stuff and set ups. He bought some smaller set up for reloading for his few firearm calibers and he actually LIKES his simple set up in his older age. I am 70 years old and I think that he is 75 or 76 now. I think that he only owns 2 or 3 firearm calibers now.

Take care. Best wishes to you no matter what you decide to do.

Cate

Last Edited:

Several places have tried it. It of course fails but that never stops law makers from trying. I have long said EVERYONE who likes to shoot should learn to roll their own. When this panic is over, yes it will end just like they all did before, stock up on the supplies. The stuff never goes bad stored properly. I have not rolled anything in a long time but, I know how and keep the stuff I need on hand in case. It's nice to know how and have the stuff if needed.

I think what is coming down from the top is a shut down of all manufacturing of any and all 2nd Amendment Items ie" ammo and firearms or anything else it's about control

EVERYONE should be reloading. It is a great way to save money and/or craft ammo especially suitable to your wants and needs.
And its fun.
Some of the cartridges I shoot are way way more expensive to reload than to buy loaded ammo historically. As you said it is fun and a fun way to experiment.

Reloading is a great thing to learn. It takes attention to detail and some patience. The more anal retentive you are the better your ammo will be but you need to know where the breaking point is for you. I try to load stuff like subsonic 7.62x25 to +/-0.002 in length. Does it matter for that round? Nope. All that does is slow down my production. For precision shooting that couple matter if you are capable of shooting at that level.

Reloading is a good way to always have ammo.

With that said...
I would wonder about fees , taxes and the like placed on re-loading components , made to "price it out of reach" , so to speak or realistic use .

Also availability of reloading components might be hard to find or expensive at this point it time.

Placing fees , taxes , as well as restrictions on just how much one can own or buy , or even where one can buy firearms and ammo / reloading / gun parts ...is a easy way to further erode the 2nd Amendment.
Andy

My favorite plinker
is about 2.50 a round who how's what it would cost at this time.It is very dusty .when I do a ride e some on here it is a long distance in small amount and the seller doesn't care to ship ,also not worth me paying to ship.
It is good to have the dies ECT. There are a few I should have picked up before thing went nuts.

In a word, yes, but I won't lie and tell you this is a good time to start. You are likely going to have to scratch and claw to find components (I actually picked up small rifle primers at a normal price yesterday!)

Guns and ammo are already taxed at 11% (10% for handguns) through the Pittman-Robertson act of 1937. The good thing is that this money comes back to the state for wildlife/hunting, etc. This is how many programs at the state level are funded along with licenses. This tax existed pre 1937 from what I understand and was converted to this specific use back then. So the door is already open for them to add stupid taxes atop a tax that is actually useful.

Good luck with your venture!

I would not be surprised If the intelligent soles push to require back ground checks for ammo. .If they tax , add UBC .ECT or ban online sales our hobby is going to be costly. Some calibers are rare to be found on the shelf They think following the path of California
Is a good thing. That would be a nightmare for rural residents of Oregon. It would be a good time to gear up .If you end up not needing it ,someone will and you can always recoupe some if not all of your investment.

Just a reminder, you already pay a tax on guns and ammo

Now, it's too late to ask that question. Just try and buy reloading components. Most people are not even going to the range because they don't want to use up their ammo. The clouds are pretty dark right now.

And its fun.
He said save money by reloading lol haha I think I just shoot more. Maybe recently because I'm still shooting 9mm like it is available everywhere and loading it for about what it use to cost before the madness but how much is your time worth?

I'm just thinking long term and all the possible craziness that could hamper and/or destroy the ammunition industry and what one might do to weather the storm.
Reloading isn't for everyone much like I suppose knitting isn't for everyone.

Most people don't have the OCD type personality to pay the needed attention to the details every time, and to keep all the little things organized and in line, every time. That's fine, I think. Not everyone should be like that. So think about what sort of hobbies and activities you have been successful in sticking to in the past before diving in , is my advice.

If you didn't want to do it before, you might not want to waste resources on it now.

@sigmadog, you'll need a press, but I have some brass, bullets, powder and primers for you when you decide to get started.

Edit to add:
  • Additional tax on top of those already levied, because, well, someone has to pay for that 6 Trillion they just wasted pissing on a fire....
  • Tracking because, well, they hafta keep all the American sheep safe from millions of law abiding gun owners. Gang-bangers will still get all the ammo they need from the ATF and FBI doing a "sting."
  • @Dinglenutz is right, some people don't possess the needed attention to detail to reload. However, 45 is one of the easiest to do with the simplest of equipment. Slow, sure, but you *still* have ammo.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads