JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
He said save money by reloading lol haha I think I just shoot more. Maybe recently because I'm still shooting 9mm like it is available everywhere and loading it for about what it use to cost before the madness but how much is your time worth?
Exactly! I was about to say "you end up shooting more"

So ammunition is hard to come by lately (duh!). Without getting into politics (please don't!) do you think there may be a move to tax or "register" ammo purchases soon?

If so, since politicians generally don't understand the gun community and will likely only put restrictions on manufactured ammo, will hand-loading be the way to go to avoid regulations? I guess I just answered my own question.

It's late at night, and I'm just ruminating on things and this popped into my head. I shoot mostly .45ACP so that would be my preferred load/reload. I'm just thinking long term and all the possible craziness that could hamper and/or destroy the ammunition industry and what one might do to weather the storm.

There's already an 11% tax on ammo I think...

@sigmadog, you'll need a press, but I have some brass, bullets, powder and primers for you when you decide to get started.

Edit to add:
  • Additional tax on top of those already levied, because, well, someone has to pay for that 6 Trillion they just wasted pissing on a fire....
  • Tracking because, well, they hafta keep all the American sheep safe from millions of law abiding gun owners. Gang-bangers will still get all the ammo they need from the ATF and FBI doing a "sting."
  • @Dinglenutz is right, some people don't possess the needed attention to detail to reload. However, 45 is one of the easiest to do with the simplest of equipment. Slow, sure, but you *still* have ammo.

Pissing on a fire, that made me chuckle...

Based on prices when I last bought components, 9mm is about 17 cents per round or $8.50/ box. Closer to 20 cents each and $10/box when you figure in shipping and hazmat upcharge by suppliers.

Yes.

Unfortunately I can't reload my favorite round, 22lr, but everything else, yes.

Based on prices when I last bought components, 9mm is about 17 cents per round
This is exactly why I never had 9mm dies until recently. Prices for someone else stuffing the 9mm together were generally about the same as rolling my own. I did shoot a lot of it and saved brass out of habit. I think I have maybe 30K 9mm once fired brass, and now ... DIES!

Sigh.

It's not like I want to squeeze the last little bit of accuracy from my Glock 19 by working up a special load for it. But here we are.

EVERYONE should be reloading. It is a great way to save money and/or craft ammo especially suitable to your wants and needs.
And its fun.

As someone who enjoys reloading, no, not everyone should do it. It requires time and dedication to detail that many people are not willing to invest. For the person who shoots a few hundred rounds a year if that, the start up costs and time/learning curve involved isn't worth it compared to how much they spend (during normal years) to shoot that much.

I think taking up reloading is a great idea albeit not the best time but take the time to study up on it a bit, and make sure its something you really want to do as opposed to something you feel you need to do to 'weather the storm' as you mentioned.

I started reloading as an extension of my interest in shooting and saving money was never the goal. My intent was to create the best ammo for the gun and how it will be used however I can honestly say I have always saved a little by buying components in bulk and not having to chase around for ammo whenever I wanted to go shooting.

I have never considered reloading a 'necessity' and it has never been a chore, but something I have always enjoyed taking the time to do. Also I have never spent anywhere near as much on equipment and accessories as some I have seen on their initial purchase - especially when they put it up for sale and I see the 'numbers'.

My reloading setup has always been relatively simple but I can adequately reload efficiently for my needs and I shoot much more than many I have known who have dramatically more, and higher tech - and priced - equipment & accessories than I ever have had.

As someone who enjoys reloading, no, not everyone should do it. It requires time and dedication to detail that many people are not willing to invest. For the person who shoots a few hundred rounds a year if that, the start up costs and time/learning curve involved isn't worth it compared to how much they spend (during normal years) to shoot that much.

If you do not take care of load the correct amount of powder and other things you can potentially have a kaboom! :confused::(. You may not be able to replace your firearm either.

He said save money by reloading lol haha I think I just shoot more. Maybe recently because I'm still shooting 9mm like it is available everywhere and loading it for about what it use to cost before the madness but how much is your time worth?
You shoot more because the ammo costs less by reloading. But I get your point, I cannot say how much money I've blown by "saving money" on bargain deals and such., anybody with a hobby from soap carving to classic car collecting spends money to enjoy that hobby.
For me, reloading is a hobby and in that sense, I don't put a dollar value on my time, just on all the money I spent in order to save money by reloading.:confused:
A few years back, it wasn't worth my time to reload for savings sake but, as I said, it's fun and the experimentation part is always instructive and nowadays, those skills I've learned are again useful and cost effective as a bonus.

You never know. It would seem like they could more easily regulate primers and powders as localities already do with storage quantities. They might be able to do that through executive action rather than through congress. I imagine if we see a deadly bombing(s) where the bomb maker used smokeless powder purchased from Cabelas for example, we could see regulations come down pretty quick. Or big box stores may stop carrying these products. We also have to worry about lawsuits running the ever shrinking ammo makers out of business. We could also see bans on imports of powder and primers. Stock up while you can.

These have been my thoughts. The pols won't even have to know that reloading exists to start regulating powder in some way. We've seen how market conditions can have a huge impact on reloading. It wouldn't take much on the political side to stifle the activity big-time. Such as requiring an expensive license for any kind of "ammunition making." Or cause more severe regulations in transportation.

This is exactly why I never had 9mm dies until recently. Prices for someone else stuffing the 9mm together were generally about the same as rolling my own. I did shoot a lot of it and saved brass out of habit. I think I have maybe 30K 9mm once fired brass, and now ... DIES!

Yes, lately I've been thinking about all those arguments I've seen online over the years about the viability of reloading 9mm Luger.

Anybody who has plans of sport shooting in the future ought to take care to get what can be gotten on those opportunities that present themselves.

I reload to get ammo I can't buy (light loads, special loads, etc.).

The expense of buying ammo (in normal times) is less than the what I earn in the same amount of time in my business (now being self-employed). I have plenty of ammo now and most of what I would shoot would be rimfire anyway.

But I do plan to stock up on more reloading supplies, just in case.

Thanks, everyone for the great responses. I have a lot to think about and research.

Much appreciated!

My opinion:

Everyone whom enjoys shooting should learn to reload.

Wether they continue to reload once they have learned the basics? That's up to the individual, what they shoot, how they shoot & how much.

There are many reasons to reload.

Among them: the hobby of reloading in & of itself, having better ammunition geared towards what/how you shoot (custom, as it were), having the ability to roll your own simple "range/blasting" stuff (particularly in times of blight, as in now).

I learned to reload after the last blight, just 9mm, however bought up stuff to be able to expand into most calibers we use. Packed everything up, and we have since moved. I'm now in the process of getting my reloading space setup in the new house.

I can't speak towards what anyone else's priorities should be, because everyone is different. I'll mention that we enjoy shooting, so for us to continue enjoying doing so, I'll be reloading shortly. Not rushed, however there is a finite amount of manufactured ammunition I've put back for us...I won't be buying what is available today.

Would starting reloading today from scratch be a challenge? Yup.

However so is enjoying the shooting sports without ammunition.

Costs? You'll have to run your own numbers on that, honestly.

It wasn't worth my while before, now it is, & boy howdy!

I reload to get ammo I can't buy (light loads, special loads, etc.).
And this is one of the unsung, best reasons for reloading.

Those who do not reload will most likely never understand the 'power' of this aspect of reloading - especially with calibers that have limited commercial offerings - and can be dramatically improved with specialized handloads.

Here is a good example. .30-30 loaded with 110 grain JRN with 10 grains of Unique. Approx 1600 FPS and very soft shooting, low report and DEADLY accurate.

They turn a .30-30 into a fun, and inexpensive plinker! But then almost any .30 caliber rifle ammo could use this load as well.

IMG_1297.JPG
Another option is lead bullets. These are 135 grain hard cast and they took a little more 'experimenting' with to get them to shoot accurately and I am having a little problem with gas cutting leading in one of my WInchesters but they were an alternative I turned to when I couldn't get anything else a while back. The leading is very minor and cleans easily. IMG_2454[1].JPG

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads